Menu

Switching from RS to Singapore--is there anything I need to know?

melissel

And will someone please hold my hand and tell me it will be OK?!

I was fully prepared to go all the way through RS. My best friend even gave me all her materials! But after some discussions here, I started to really like what I saw in the SM methods, so I ordered 3A from CBD. I'm not getting rid of my RS stuff just yet, but I'm hoping both girls will like SM a bit more than they seem to like RS these days!

Is there anything I should know about switching over? We really only just started RS D, but based on the placement test, I'll start us with 3A. I expect some of it to be very easy for DD9, but some of it we haven't covered at all yet, so I figured it was better to go backward a bit. My biggest concern is teaching the bar models effectively. Will I be able to figure out how to teach those at this point, or is there some other resource I should get to teach ME how to teach HER how to do them? I've never used them before, so I find them a little confusing (and intimidating :blushing:).

TIA!

If you've used the placement test you are well on your way to the right start. For bar models, I liked these two extra books:

http://www.singaporemath.com/Bar_Modeling_A_Problem_solving_Tool_p/bmpst.htm

http://www.singaporemath.com/Handbook_for_Primary_Mathematics_Teachers_p/hbpm.htm

But you should be able to pick them up from the text and any supplement books you used. CWP shows examples before each problem set.

We ran into trouble because at first my oldest didn't need the models and paid no attention to them. I used the Handbook for Teachers to teach him a mini course when somewhere late in 5B he needed them and had no clue (at the time there was nothing else). As I've just mentioned elsewhere my youngest is still holding everything in his head and doing fine. Is he using bar models? I have no idea.

My only other suggestion is if you have problems use their forum. While it is no where near as busy as here you will get specific to Singapore help there and they won't always just solve it for you, but instead ask you what you've done so far and make suggestions so you can begin to engage a difficult problem.

Did you get the CWP book? That will explain how to set up the bar models to solve problems. You could also get the Singapore Model Method for Learning Mathematics book but honestly, I don't think that's really necessary.

I have the old CWP, and I don't see instructions on using the bar method. I learned it from:

http://www.singaporemath.com/Heuristic_and_Model_Approach_s/151.htm

My biggest concern is teaching the bar models effectively. Will I be able to figure out how to teach those at this point, or is there some other resource I should get to teach ME how to teach HER how to do them? I've never used them before, so I find them a little confusing (and intimidating :blushing:).

TIA!

The CWP series had the most variety of worked examples, so I studied those. I recommend starting with CWP-3 or even CWP-2 for yourself. The more you practice, the easier it gets!