Menu

DD [6] is having a lot of ear pain

Warm towels on the ear can help. Steam also helps very much. Have them drink lots of water, too. In desperate times, I have also given a kid a dose of benedryl so they could sleep (it doesn't do much for the ear).

I find most children's decongestants to be not much better than water for ear pain.

Warm towels on the ear can help. Steam also helps very much. Have them drink lots of water, too. In desperate times, I have also given a kid a dose of benedryl so they could sleep (it doesn't do much for the ear).

I find most children's decongestants to be not much better than water for ear pain.

I am going to try the warm towel. Benedryl does not make her sleepy :( I am wondering if the homeopathic ear drops you can get at the drug store will help?

Has she been seen by the doctor? If not, I'd do that ASAP. Ear pain can get very severe. She may need antibiotics.

I would NOT use ear drops of any sort until she has been seen by a DR b/c the ear drum can rupture, and you don't want to put medications in there with a ruptured ear drum unless it is a medicine that is safe for that (which many aren't). At the DR, you can ask for "numbing drops". I don't know what medication is in them, but they work to numb the ear canal. My oldest had one terrible ear infection when she was 7 or so, and we used those drops while waiting for the antibiotics to kick in (a day or so).

Has she been seen by the doctor? If not, I'd do that ASAP. Ear pain can get very severe. She may need antibiotics.

I would NOT use ear drops of any sort until she has been seen by a DR b/c the ear drum can rupture, and you don't want to put medications in there with a ruptured ear drum unless it is a medicine that is safe for that (which many aren't). At the DR, you can ask for "numbing drops". I don't know what medication is in them, but they work to numb the ear canal. My oldest had one terrible ear infection when she was 7 or so, and we used those drops while waiting for the antibiotics to kick in (a day or so).

Since she does not have a fever I think her ear pain is due to the congestion/pressure/draining she has. I was planning on calling her Dr in the AM when they open.

DD has been having really bad ear pain since last night. She has a lot of nasal congestion but no fever. I have been giving her Motrin for the ear pain but it's now only giving her at best about 30-40mins of relief. What should I try next? I think she is still to young for a decongestant?

Bendryl and Mortin, and I agree about the warm compresses at the end of the jaw line under the ear. Gentle massage there can also give some relief. That's my bugaboo health issue. Colds always end up in ear pain. Staying on top of the swelling and inflamation is what helps most. Also, have her sleep on the side of the greatest pain. That seems to help me.

I am going to try the warm towel. Benedryl does not make her sleepy :( I am wondering if the homeopathic ear drops you can get at the drug store will help?

if you want to go the homeopathic route - go to the health food store. Their selection is far superior to a drug store's. I've used homeopathic remedies for sinus infections, and they were wonderful. (and I didn't have to use antibiotics. :thumbup:.)

if you want to go the homeopathic route - go to the health food store. Their selection is far superior to a drug store's. I've used homeopathic remedies for sinus infections, and they were wonderful. (and I didn't have to use antibiotics. :thumbup:.)

I NEVER think about going to the health food store! GREAT suggestion! Im going to go over there as soon as DH arrives home. Thanks!

One of the convenience things I usually have around is a jar of pre-crushed garlic (either from the store, or I crush my own and cover with olive oil and put in the fridge). The oil is GREAT on earaches (garlic is a natural antibiotic). The last couple of earaches here have been headed off without antibiotics by starting the garlic oil early.

It could also be a sinus infection. I have terrible ear pain with sinus infections, and no fever. (and no ear infection)

Have you tried an antihistamine? We've had good results with Zyrtec and Allavert, and your dd could take either one. Relief is pretty quick.

Apple cider vinegar is a natural decongestant (thins the mucus). I doubt she will chug it down like I will, *g*, but you can mix it with water as well. Or offer her a dollar to gulp it down like medicine, lol.

Lots of fluids, especially water, will help thin the mucus. Hot shower or bath will help loosen it.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I hope she's feeling better soon, Karen! It seems that this sort of thing always starts on a weekend, when we can't get right over to the doctor, doesn't it?

I'm glad you got her started on antibiotics.

Thank you. :) Yes always on the weekends! I could have taken her yesterday to work and had the DR look at her but that is so expensive compared to a Dr's visit. I hope by tomorrow she will be feeling better. I have to say even though she feels crappy she still did math :) LOL.