Menu

My Christmas day vision is skewed (musings)

Last night I wrapped all the gifts, except for mine. I am not bringing them out until Christmas day, but if I did bring them out, they would be a very small stack under our new 7.5 ft. tree. It doesn't exactly fit in with my idea of presents spilling out from underneath the tree.

Oh I know Christmas isn't about the presents. But I've only just realized what is bothering me. Basically it all boils down to the same issue I've been trying to grapple with for a year now. My kids are growing up! I almost feel like I'm beginning to suffer with empty nest syndrome, except they all still live with me. Mostly I'm fine and then one little thing will hit me that brings the reality back to me. As I was sitting here this morning drinking my coffee, I was looking at the tree as if it was going to stand above all these packages with toys spread out in front of it: a play-kitchen, a ride-on truck, large fire truck with ladder extended high, scooters, an easel, a large Eeyore stuffed animal and a huge bouncy ball. I mean those were fun Christmases! Yeah, I still enjoy Christmases without those things, and I'll still love every minute of this Christmas with the smaller wrapped gifts (a book is just much smaller than a fire truck!). But our past couple of Christmases saw everyone retire back to their rooms after the opening of gifts which doesn't last long because there are only 4 per person. It's almost anticlimactic after my usual advent-following-anticipation-building leadup to Christmas day. Gone are the days of playing with the toys and games in the living room all day. Aww.. I'm just bummed because I feel like Christmas has lost its glitter.

Unfortunately, religion simply doesn't play a part in our day. I'm the only one in the house who believes in God. I used to light a candle in honor of Jesus and I think I'll do that again this year. It will be my own little celebration. Maybe I'll even go to Christmas Day Worship at my former church I haven't attended in 6 years. But it's something I would have to do alone without my family.

Oh, I don't mean to sound all gloomy. I still love the holiday season. I just think I need to work on an attitude adjustment this year. It's hard to make internal changes, but they usually make me a better person. :)

:grouphug:

It doesn't exactly fit in with my idea of presents spilling out from underneath the tree.

We have an only child and DH and I don't generally buy each other presents. DH and I both have this "thing" about presents spilling out from under the tree and our idea of what Christmas day should look and feel like, so I totally understand your post. MIL is in town right now and keeps badmouthing how we celebrate Christmas - we "have too many presents under the tree already and should hold everything else back until next year..." DS, she insists, "doesn't need half that stuff" we are giving him... But DS is ten this year and I can already tell his gifts are getting bigger and more expensive. It won't be many more years before he gets just a few bigger gifts and we won't have presents spilling out from under the tree. I'm embracing this time as long as we can. Then I'm praying he gets married young and blesses us with many, many grandchildren that we can spoil rotten. :D

Holidays are so hard. We all have different expectations, which can be so difficult to navigate. I have my own baggage (I will spare you the details, since this is your thread) but no one in my house wants to celebrate the way I want to either. So, I understand your disappointment.

If your family doesn't really hang out once the presents are open anyway, I think you should go to church. You could always check to see if any of them want to go with you - you never know.

I've been in a brief panic the last few weeks thinking about how fast ds is growing up. In a few years our lives will be dramatically different, well my life anyway.

We're not even getting a tree this year (plethora of reasons) and I'm glad. I loved those Christmas' when ds was little. When the presents were big, like a toy kitchen or a ride on toy.

My parents called today and want to take us shopping. I'm almost hyperventilating hoping it's not TOO busy out, I dislike crowds anymore. The whole holiday season stresses me out lately.

I posted this video to my facebook/google yesterday. U2's One. It's not a holiday song, but it reminds me that we are all in this together. It's been my reflection point this week. We are one, but we're not the same, we carry each other.

Those loving feelings I carry for my family haven't changed. It looks different. That doesn't mean anyone is growing apart, it means we are changing and growing. It's the one love that we get to share.

I understand what you are feeling. Last year all my children (4)were home for Christmas (Navy ds was lucky enough to have 2 weeks that fell during Christmas), this year only 2 of my children are here (navy ds is in Africa and said no Christmas for him and Army ds is in boot camp and due to other reasons is not coming home for Christmas). I just bought for the 2 children. Because of this I know I went over board with the 2, even my dh egged me on with the buying. Then to throw in we will have no extended family to celebrate with is adding to the feeling. Having the chaos of Christmas morning with 4 children...the noise, the paper, the excitement...it will be missed.

Would your family humor you by playing board games for a bit? Maybe you could make a new game a yearly tradition. My sister and I decided to buy Cranium to do this with our extended family.

Oh they probably would. We enjoy playing games together anyway. I even looked at the game section at the store and I just didn't see anything new that we might find interesting! DH didn't like my idea to create a Family Box for Christmas morning. I was going to put in a couple of games, snacks, fizzy drinks, and a new Christmas cd. I thought that we could have fun together, but he thought it was way corny and that the kids would feel obligated.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. My kids are great. No one hurts each others feelings. They are just becoming more independent and their interests don't involve Mom as much anymore, you know?

Dd13 and I tried to make cake pops last night. We laughed and laughed. It was a huge FAIL, but we enjoyed it anyway. I had her attention for about an hour. It was nice. Then she went back to her room to share her experience with her friends on the computer.

I think the game idea is good-even as a teenager I loved when my parents would spend time with me doing something, even if it was only for an hour-I never felt obligated, it was actually enjoyable. Do you have the game "Ticket to Ride"? It's a great game for older kids because it is fun but requires some strategy. It is not common,but we have it and pull it out for nights with family friends and it is really enjoyed by all (in fact, we bought it after playing it at a friends house.) I know amazon carries it.

Last night I wrapped all the gifts, except for mine. I am not bringing them out until Christmas day, but if I did bring them out, they would be a very small stack under our new 7.5 ft. tree. It doesn't exactly fit in with my idea of presents spilling out from underneath the tree.

Oh I know Christmas isn't about the presents. But I've only just realized what is bothering me. Basically it all boils down to the same issue I've been trying to grapple with for a year now. My kids are growing up! I almost feel like I'm beginning to suffer with empty nest syndrome, except they all still live with me. Mostly I'm fine and then one little thing will hit me that brings the reality back to me. As I was sitting here this morning drinking my coffee, I was looking at the tree as if it was going to stand above all these packages with toys spread out in front of it: a play-kitchen, a ride-on truck, large fire truck with ladder extended high, scooters, an easel, a large Eeyore stuffed animal and a huge bouncy ball. I mean those were fun Christmases! Yeah, I still enjoy Christmases without those things, and I'll still love every minute of this Christmas with the smaller wrapped gifts (a book is just much smaller than a fire truck!). But our past couple of Christmases saw everyone retire back to their rooms after the opening of gifts which doesn't last long because there are only 4 per person. It's almost anticlimactic after my usual advent-following-anticipation-building leadup to Christmas day. Gone are the days of playing with the toys and games in the living room all day. Aww.. I'm just bummed because I feel like Christmas has lost its glitter.

Unfortunately, religion simply doesn't play a part in our day. I'm the only one in the house who believes in God. I used to light a candle in honor of Jesus and I think I'll do that again this year. It will be my own little celebration. Maybe I'll even go to Christmas Day Worship at my former church I haven't attended in 6 years. But it's something I would have to do alone without my family.

Oh, I don't mean to sound all gloomy. I still love the holiday season. I just think I need to work on an attitude adjustment this year. It's hard to make internal changes, but they usually make me a better person. :)

I know what you mean - this is the first year our boys will not get a big assortment of large and small gifts from us. This year, they are each getting one large present, and they already know what they are, and one has already been played with...and they are getting one big thing to share with each other, that has been asked for specifically "from Santa" so it won't be a surprise either. There will be some small stocking stuffers and the stuff my mom sent and that's it. Really it will be a relief I think. After years of wading through clutter we are finally starting to get out of that, and keeping Christmas smaller will help. I think they will also enjoy their two big gifts more than they have enjoyed all the smaller stuff from past years. But it does make it seem a little empty to have less to open.

I celebrate Imbolc by myself. Nobody else in my family gets it, but it makes me happy to make cookies and bread and light orange candles and drink a beer in honor of winter being half over. If it make you happy to light a candle for Jesus on Christmas, do that for yourself and enjoy it fully. :grouphug:

Holidays are a tough time of year. I have an 8yo and an 11yo. We still have a few toys, but I definitely understand how OP feels. I feel the time slipping away. This time of year I want to cling to my babies. I want my little toddlers back. I rage against the passage of time. But, I enjoy this age, too. And I feel guilty about being sad. After all, I grew up and they will, too.

Sometimes knowing you're not the only one feeling a little blue helps. I like PP's idea of keeping everyone together in one room for a little while at least.

Hugs to you.

I have young kids and was starting to feel that same anti-climactic feeling a couple of years ago. I made a countdown calendar that counts from the 1st to the 31st. It has small bags that contain either candy or a card with an activity listed on it. This extends the season past the big present opening on Christmas. The final activity in the calendar is a game night where we play games (wii, board etc) and eat finger foods until midnight.

This year I think we're going to keep score and give a little trophy to the person with the most wins. We'll pass the trophy on each year to the new winner.

We haven't had that feeling since extending the calendar.

Holidays are so hard. We all have different expectations, which can be so difficult to navigate. I have my own baggage (I will spare you the details, since this is your thread) but no one in my house wants to celebrate the way I want to either. So, I understand your disappointment.

If your family doesn't really hang out once the presents are open anyway, I think you should go to church. You could always check to see if any of them want to go with you - you never know.

Yes, you should go, and ask if anyone wants to go with you. They might surprise you.

I would do the family box, and maybe throw in a movie. At least then you could sit and watch together for a couple of hours. My kids are getting 3 shared games this year. Scattergories card game, the art of conversation, and I found this game (Name 5) at Target. I think my dc will really enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Endless-Games-380-Name-Game/dp/B003N2Q5JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323630558&sr=8-1

I get what you mean.

I'm in a 'weird' place. My eldest is in the Navy. Diva is 13. So the 'Elders' aren't into toys, becoming more independant, everything you talked about.

Then there's the Littles and Littlest. Still very much into the magic, toys, etc...Other than the Littlest, who is content to stare at the lights on the tree :lol:

I'm straddling both sides of the experience.

I figure by the time Baby Boo is a teen, I'll probably have a grandkid or two (Diva will be 26, eldest in his 30s) so with any luck, there'll be a Little at my Christmas from now til pretty much forever :lol:

Dd13 and I tried to make cake pops last night. We laughed and laughed. It was a huge FAIL, but we enjoyed it anyway. I had her attention for about an hour. It was nice. Then she went back to her room to share her experience with her friends on the computer.
What a fun memory!

My mom used to go all out baking. She hosted a large Christmas open house, plus gave away plates of cookies and candies to everyone she knew. It was a fun time of year, helping her bake. She left us when I was 14 and is only marginally in my life now. But I still cherish those happy times, baking at Christmas. I now love to bake with my own child with Christmas music playing in the background. It melts my heart to think about that time.

Just because you're getting someone a 9.5x11 inch book doesn't mean you can't put it in a 3x3 foot box! Just sayin'.
:lol:

My DS loves Cool Ranch Doritos and is getting a large bag of chips in a very large box.

I'm straddling both sides of the experience.

I figure by the time Baby Boo is a teen, I'll probably have a grandkid or two (Diva will be 26, eldest in his 30s) so with any luck, there'll be a Little at my Christmas from now til pretty much forever :lol:

You know Imp, you really did plan this well. :D

Just a thought to make it last a bit longer and maybe get some laughs out of the kids. Why don't you take your stack and wrap them each into a larger box, then wrap all the larger boxes with one paper but don't label who they are for. If you have some really small boxes, you could do several layers before you hit the actual box. Christmas morning everyone grabs a box and unwraps a layer. If the layer of the box with a label is hit, then it gets passed to the right person. If there is another layer, then it gets passed to someone else to unwrap that layer. You could even throw a few dud boxes in there with nothing more than a smilie face and a pile of rocks (or a family favorite bag of candy).

Time for a new tradition then. This year we are going to start a spoons tournament. I am going to find a giant spoon at the thrift store, spray paint it gold and mount it to a board. We will give the winner the "trophy" each year to pass down to the new winner. In the years past I went for a nice Christmas day walk with my family too. That was nice. My cousins always go to the movies on Christmas day. Make it special your own way. And I know exactly how you feel about the kids getting older. Little kids and Christmas = fun!!

When I was a child, it was all magic and light and Santa. When I was a teenager and in college, we had lovely food, good wine, and peace. And some family strife, but that's just part of family life I guess.

Then I married and had children, and we were back to magic Santa stuff. Those were precious years. Now my youngest are 14. This year will be low key. The boys want fewer, more expensive things. They don't care that much about "stuff."

I bought tickets for all three boys to go see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in January, so that will be the big ticket (ha ha) item, and they will be surprise and overjoyed, so I am really excited about that! If anyone on this board knows my children, please don't tell them them.

Anyway, my sister and I agreed that we will have presents and breakfast, and then unless the weather is truly unbearable, we will all go for a walk on the greenway, just to get everyone outside together.

We won't have a ton of things to unwrap wither. In fact this is the first year that I've suggested money for one kid (who's savingup for a scout trip next summer). DH pointed out that the cool stuffed animal I bought for Artichoke is probably the last stuffed animal I'll buy one of my kids. It choked me up, as if we were talking about Sarah Crewe's "last doll".

But I've decided that allows us the gift of time this year. Time I've spent making fudge and cookies with the kids. Time that we'll spend on games over the holidays. Time for walks or playing in the snow.

here are some things we've had fun with..... and that make the gifting seem more special somehow....

i) scavenger hunts with clues. one year, we sent dbil all over outside until he finally found the new tree that was his gift...... he likes monty python, so the clues were all from them, and ended up with him finding his "shrubbery".

ii) holiday foods and wines as gifts. one year, we bought candy cane ice cream, wrapped it and put it in the freezer. most year, we buy supersized packages of some favorite foods and wrap them and they go under the tree. eg. giant jar of preztels, pickles, olives..... from a budget perspective, it is money we would spend anyways, but the look on people's faces when they giant jar is unwrapped is very fun. and it means there ARE large presents under the tree. i wrap 12 bottles of wine for dh every year..... the wine we will have with christmas dinner and a few new ones. the rule, given that we are in california and good wine is inexpensive, is that none of the bottles can be over $10- and most are under $5-

iii) items we need that become presents. every year, everyone gets socks, belts, toothbrushes, etc. the trick is in wrapping them in humorous ways. last year, dd wrapped dh's belt as a snake, complete with forked tongue, and wound it around the branches of the tree.

iv) one year, when there was almost no money, we bought an inexpensive wrapping book, and spent hours turning ordinary paper into extraordinary wrapping. that year, my gift was five boxes of my favorite teas, which dc and dh wrapped as a christmas train. it took them hours, they had a glorious time, and that train sat under the tree intriguing me for days : ).

enjoy - in joy!

ann

We've been through some pretty difficult changes in the last 8 years after many years with that "glorious Christmas" vibe.

With the passing of hubby's parents came the sale of their house, where the clan had all gathered, often overnight. MIL was the Queen of Christmas Decor and made sugar cookies with the littles, although I would *almost* rather pull out my nails with a pliers than roll and cut dough. Most other baking I enjoy. The clan scattered non-amiably, my kids are now older teens and young adults, and we've really struggled to find "our" way.

Embracing the rituals of our faith has helped, but the thing that has helped the most is to have frank discussions about what will help it "feel like Christmas" for each family member and find ways to incorporate some of those ideas into the days around Christmas. It really involves intentionality.

The fun thing is that it changes with the kids each year, so we never know what will happen, but the family is starting to become intuitive about what each other needs. Ds#1 showed up in the kitchen on Thanksgiving day, unbidden, with his iphone and speakers tuned to a Christmas station. I had to blink back tears b/c he's often kinda prickly, and that thoughtfulness was not expected. It was a delightful couple of hours that he hung around and helped.

I wouldn't feel bashful at all asking the youngsters in your house if you could informally schedule some together time. They'll enjoy it, when it is all said and done.

Your thread has inspired me to go pick up a jigsaw puzzle, some bananagrams, and maybe a new game.

Just thinking about what you said about everyone retiring back to their rooms once presents were done. That's how it was for me growing up, but my dh had a totally different tradition. The first time I joined them for the family Christmas I was amazed with how much fun the four of them managed to have together and knew that I would raise my children with the same traditions that dh had.

It's pretty simple, really. Dh's mom would put out some snacks that required NO extra work on her part to prepare, just things like popcorn or cheese spread or fruit or whatever. The family would play either board games or card games a while, and then watch It's a Wonderful Life. Eventually they would share a simple meal of soup and sandwiches. At some point in the day they also opened gifts.

We do similarly with our kids, with the exception that we do not watch that particular movie each year. We do enjoy games together and perhaps a movie of some sort. The focus is on having fun together.

Maybe it is time to put out a 'family only' rule until 5pm or so on Christmas Day. The kids can catch up with friend on the computer or phone after that, but until then, it is a 'family Christmas'.

This is what we have done since the kids were little. My kids had bffs in the neighborhood, who would come knocking/calling at 9am :confused: . We never have to say anything to our kids now, they just spend time with us on the holiday.

As long as they know ahead of time, I don't think it is that hard to put new rules into place. I also think it is okay to let them know why. You put weeks and weeks of work and effort into the holiday for everyone to enjoy, and then you don't get to enjoy the actual holiday for barely an hour.

Ugh. I've been feeling this way and my youngest is 5! My older boys each have one gift. ONE. Our tree looks bare underneath!

This is why I always have my extended family over for the holidays. There's never a dull moment! This year we have 15 staying for 3 days. I can't wait. There'll be kids ages 2 - 70!!! Do you have this option?

I still have the fun piles with dd. My 11 year old has a few neat things but the major gift for the boys is a PS3. After a courtesy enjoying the other gifts I am sure they will be off to play their new system. Which is fine, that's what will make them happy. I miss the days of hotwheel tracks being set up in my living room until new years. Lego's scattered about, littletikes baskball hoops.::::sigh:::: I walk by the hotwheels aisle almost in tears this week. I miss my little boys. Little boy #1 is talking about moving out next year :001_huh: Little boy #2 is a kid at heart still, little boy 3 is about to make that transition from toys for Christmas to preteen electronics. We did get him a hess truck and some cool night vision goggles, I might just have to pick up a hotwheels set. Yes, I will get them each a hotwheels for their stocking :D

Edited by lynn

Unfortunately, my family doesn't "do" Christmas anymore. By that I mean, there are no get-togethers. Presents are not exchanged. Everyone sends everyone else gift cards. My mom wants a restaurant gift card. My sister and I do not exchange gifts, but we send gift cards to the kids. My grandmother sends a little cash in cards. My MIL sends checks. The only non-monetary presents the kids get are from me and DH and siblings.

Lynn: My ds15 would be so disappointed if he didn't have hot wheels cars in his stocking. He even mentioned it a couple of days ago. I just smiled because I already bought some because I knew how he felt about it. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, and church. No one will go with me. They all object and I respect their choice. DH didn't even go when our youngest dd was baptised when she was 5 yrs. old. She didn't mind though. She was the only one who liked to go to services with me. Then we moved and stopped going and by the time I asked if she wanted to find a new church with me, she had no interest. She is questioning religion in general. That topic is for another post though.

I've made some tentative plans. I know they'll watch a movie with me. I know they'll play a game or two. I'm going to ask them to play a Mario Party game with me too. We always have so much fun doing that. I just have to be the one to initiate it all. That's okay.

You all have been so helpful and encouraging. Thank you!