Menu

K12 international academy?

I CAPed it to emphasize I am not asking about a VA. I run from those. Also, I did search hard and found nothing. This is my disclaimer. ;)

Would anyone who has had experience with the IA only be willing to share your experiences? We are considering it for one of our older kids as a last resort.

Thank you!

My brother is enrolling his son in this next year. They will be living out of the country, so he thought this option would be good for his family. He uses K12 independently now and is only going with the international academy because of where they will be living. Sorry I have no first hand experience to pass on. I know my brother has talked to a few people using it, and they are all happy with it.

To the best of my (limited) knowledge... the ICademy is like a private-school version of K12. It runs in many ways similiarly too a VA, but without all of the state-hoops.

Here are the similarities to a VA:

1) Assigned a teacher(or teachers) based upon grade/subjects

2) Academic Clubs

3) Progress Reports

4) Some testing

5) K12 curricula (same as purchasing as an independent, whereas there are variations to the VA curricula made to meet state standards).

If someone likes the K12 curricula, they will probably like the Icademy (which includes teacher support). Basically, what it comes down to is teacher support vs. no teacher support, and receipt of an IB or other diploma (I think the ICademy is accredited).