Menu

$79 Kindle worth it?

I'm really, really tempted-I don't have a dedicated e-reader right now, and reading on the iTouch or PC app isn't great. Our local library has e-book check out. I'm also wondering about all those nice Kindle versions of classics. just due to space.

Is this something that would be worth buying myself for Christmas? I don't feel I can swing an iPad this year.

It totally depends on you whether or not it is worth it. If I were getting a Kindle right now, I'd get a $79 one (I got the Kindle Keyboard last year). I love having my Kindle and have since convinced my MIL, Mom, and SIL to get one and they all love theirs too. My SIL has the $79 one and I played around with it and I completely think that is a good option.

:iagree: We have a Nook and a Kindle w/ apps(under the tree); paying for the kindle cord makes it less of a deal.

FYI (For anyone with a Nook, the cords work on the Kindle.)

MY EYES love reading on an e-ink ereader.

I just ordered the $109 version...it's the $79 without ads.

I was irritated that they now charge $10 for the USB wall-plug adapter. That made it $119.

That said, it's a gift, and I think it will be worth it for the recipient who reads all the time. My dh and I both have Kindles and have used them well. I have read a lot more since I got it.

:iagree: We have a Nook and a Kindle w/ apps(under the tree); paying for the kindle cord makes it less of a deal.

FYI (For anyone with a Nook, the cords work on the Kindle.)

MY EYES love reading on an e-ink ereader.

My cell phone recharger works on my Kindle. Our Nook recharger does not.

I think the $79 model is a very good value. You may find that you actually want some of the special offers. Later, if you want to convert it to a non-ad version, you can pay an upgrade fee to do so.

I love my Sony e-reader, but I bet I'll get the $79 Kindle for the kids sometime this year.

I have the $79 version and have no complaints. The ads are just at the first when your kindle is "asleep". You hit a button and exit out of the ad. Occasionally it is even a good deal, like $5 for a $10 amazon gift card.

I bought my kindle 2 weeks ago and have already read more books in that time period, than in the last several months. :blushing: My library has a great selection of ebooks and is easy to navigate, so I am reading most things for free. :)

Don't mean to hijack this thread but have a question.

I bought my mom one of the $79 Kindles for Christmas but didn't get a charger. Does it come with a cord? Will she be able to charge it on her computer? How about a regular usb wall charger? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

It is an iPod and comes only with the USB cord. You can charge it if you plug it into a computer, but if you want to plug it into a wall, apparently you have to pay for the little adapter.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but have a question.

I bought my mom one of the $79 Kindles for Christmas but didn't get a charger. Does it come with a cord? Will she be able to charge it on her computer? How about a regular usb wall charger? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it comes with a cord and you can charge it with a computer or any other USB wall charger.

My husband just ordered the Kindle Touch for me for Christmas. I went with this model because it has the audible feature if I want to use that, where the $79 Kindle does not provide this feature. It does come with a cord to charge to the PC. It's $10 extra if you want the little outlet plug to charge your Kindle to the wall outlet. I did not buy that as I plan to use my IPhone adaptor, if I need a wall source.

I figured $20 extra was worth it for the Kindle Touch for the ablility to HEAR as well as read if I desire, plus I like the touch screen better than pushing a button at the bottom to move around or change pages.

Edited by Faith
clarification

I have the $79 version, and I love it. Like someone else mentioned the adds just pop-up when it goes to sleep and are on a bar at the bottom when it's on the home screen. It is not there when you are reading. I bought this version because I don't care to listen to books, so having a speaker was not important to me. I do sometimes wish that it had a keyboard (just because it would be easier) or maybe a touch screen, but not enough that I'd want to pay more than I did :)

I definitely think it's worth it. I have the Kindle keyboard, and I'm tempted to get the $79 one just for the size of it. I was checking it out in the store the other day, and I love the size. If you want to read in the dark, you will need a light, but otherwise it is much better than reading on an ipod or ipad. I tried reading The Hobbit on the ipad, since the ibook store had an enhanced version, and while it was cool having the embedded audio, maps, etc., my wrist was starting to ache!

After watching the Kindle since it came out, we bought one last year. I love it more than I ever thought I would. I don't remember buying a cord seperate...customer service cannot be beat. I got one of a bad batch that the letters rubbed off. Within 48 hours I had a new one, registered to my account, ready to go...and I sent my defective one to them w/ a postage paid sticker AFTERWARDS!

hth

I spent DAYS researching this thing (it's only a kindle - can you imagine what I am like when it comes to curriculum? :lol:). Anyway, I went to Best Buy and took the Touch (KT) and the Keyboard (KK) for a spin, side by side, in person, with 3 different Best Buy young, techy gurus helping me. Here are my observations for whatever they are worth to other moms researching eReaders:

1. Classics are FREE (like out of copyright). I've downloaded 64 of them to date. This beats them being on my bookshelf - even if they are "free" through Paperback Swap. I'll use those credits for other books for the kids they need to read for school that aren't free on Amazon.
  2. *I* need to read these classics before I have my kids read them if I have any reasonable chance of feeling comfortable teaching them to my kids later. With that said, *I* wanted to be able to highlight and take the occassional note as I read which is why I did not bother evaluating the $79 version. I think the $79 would be great for the kids though.
  3. The KT was too sensitive when I didn't want it to be and not responsive enough when I wanted it to be. I would sometimes turn more than 1 page at a time because I pressed the screen too hard. I would try to highlight a word to use the dictionary and turned the page instead. There were pauses using the touch keyboard that pops us. Thinking I might just need some training and getting used to, I asked the Best Buy guy. He said a LOT of people get the touch and come back after the keyboard for the reason I was experiencing. If you have ANY plans of highlighting and taking any form of notes - get the keyboard.
  4. The KT wasn't as bright as the KK. Why? Because the KT only refreshes the screen every 5 pages so you end up with mild shadowing between pages. The KK refreshes every page. The ink is SLIGHTLY darker (even Amazon will tell you this, as will many reviews).
  5. On the KK, if you don't know what a word means, you simply move the cursor in front of the word and the definition automatically pops up at the top or bottom of the screen - no highlighting of the word required. Folks - this is super cool - for mom and for kids. Sure, the KT does this, but you have to highlight a word and I kept turning the page instead. The Best Buy guys kept turning the page too.
  6. The KK can be held ANYWHERE on the device. If you touch the screen on the KT while shifting your hands, you just turned the page.
  7. The KT is not as friendly to left handers. The screen is mapped. The far left side of the screen turns a page backwards. The rest of the bottom 2/3 of the screen turns the page forwards.
  8. The KK has forward and backward buttons on both sides of the frame, easy access.
  9. The KK comes with the USB charger AND wall charger. I've already used both.
  10. I liked the clicking of buttons to type my notes (again, only applicable if you intend to take notes at all - or type in the title of a book you are searching for on Amazon or when searching a term in a document).
  11. If debating to get one at all - besides TONS of free classics and other titles, Amazon has deal of the day for cheap and every month, Amazon picks 100 titles for $3.99 or less. These are decent titles folks.
  12. Libraries are popping up with eLibraries with new titles regularly. It can only get better from here.

I opted for the KK 3G with ads. Yep, it was $139 last night. And on our drive home for Best Buy, with the 3G, at NO EXTRA CHARGE, I was logged in to Amazon, registering my device, downloading my books, and reading A Christmas Carol before we ever got home (we're ~25 minutes from Best Buy). Oh, and I had brought my laptop to plug the Kindle into to start charging using the USB port for those of you wondering about power.

Now, I am like many of you - I don't leave the house a WHOLE lot with opportunities to read. I'm a homeschool mom who is busy teaching most of the day. But, we have 7 hour drives to visit our parents. It's 30 minutes to get to most stores around here. I can shop and grab a new book if I didn't take or have time before I left the house. How cool is THAT?!?!

Now, I have never been a BIG reader. Neither is my 9 (almost 10) year old. Remember the 100 for $3.99 or less deal I mentioned? I grabbed a title for my daughter Little Blog on the Prairie (1.99 until the end of December) and my reluctant reader was in the middle of chapter 2 on my new Kindle before going to bed. My point is sometimes the medium can make all the difference in interest. I'm already 20% finished with A Christmas Carol and already looking forward to the next classic I never actually read growing up.

I hope this helps someone out there exploring Kindles.

I spent DAYS researching this thing (it's only a kindle - can you imagine what I am like when it comes to curriculum? :lol:). Anyway, I went to Best Buy and took the Touch (KT) and the Keyboard (KK) for a spin, side by side, in person, with 3 different Best Buy young, techy gurus helping me. Here are my observations for whatever they are worth to other moms researching eReaders:

1. Classics are FREE (like out of copyright). I've downloaded 64 of them to date. This beats them being on my bookshelf - even if they are "free" through Paperback Swap. I'll use those credits for other books for the kids they need to read for school that aren't free on Amazon.
  2. *I* need to read these classics before I have my kids read them if I have any reasonable chance of feeling comfortable teaching them to my kids later. With that said, *I* wanted to be able to highlight and take the occassional note as I read which is why I did not bother evaluating the $79 version. I think the $79 would be great for the kids though.
  3. The KT was too sensitive when I didn't want it to be and not responsive enough when I wanted it to be. I would sometimes turn more than 1 page at a time because I pressed the screen too hard. I would try to highlight a word to use the dictionary and turned the page instead. There were pauses using the touch keyboard that pops us. Thinking I might just need some training and getting used to, I asked the Best Buy guy. He said a LOT of people get the touch and come back after the keyboard for the reason I was experiencing. If you have ANY plans of highlighting and taking any form of notes - get the keyboard.
  4. The KT wasn't as bright as the KK. Why? Because the KT only refreshes the screen every 5 pages so you end up with mild shadowing between pages. The KK refreshes every page. The ink is SLIGHTLY darker (even Amazon will tell you this, as will many reviews).
  5. On the KK, if you don't know what a word means, you simply move the cursor in front of the word and the definition automatically pops up at the top or bottom of the screen - no highlighting of the word required. Folks - this is super cool - for mom and for kids. Sure, the KT does this, but you have to highlight a word and I kept turning the page instead. The Best Buy guys kept turning the page too.
  6. The KK can be held ANYWHERE on the device. If you touch the screen on the KT while shifting your hands, you just turned the page.
  7. The KT is not as friendly to left handers. The screen is mapped. The far left side of the screen turns a page backwards. The rest of the bottom 2/3 of the screen turns the page forwards.
  8. The KK has forward and backward buttons on both sides of the frame, easy access.
  9. The KK comes with the USB charger AND wall charger. I've already used both.
  10. I liked the clicking of buttons to type my notes (again, only applicable if you intend to take notes at all - or type in the title of a book you are searching for on Amazon or when searching a term in a document).
  11. If debating to get one at all - besides TONS of free classics and other titles, Amazon has deal of the day for cheap and every month, Amazon picks 100 titles for $3.99 or less. These are decent titles folks.
  12. Libraries are popping up with eLibraries with new titles regularly. It can only get better from here.

I opted for the KK 3G with ads. Yep, it was $139 last night. And on our drive home for Best Buy, with the 3G, at NO EXTRA CHARGE, I was logged in to Amazon, registering my device, downloading my books, and reading A Christmas Carol before we ever got home (we're ~25 minutes from Best Buy). Oh, and I had brought my laptop to plug the Kindle into to start charging using the USB port for those of you wondering about power.

Now, I am like many of you - I don't leave the house a WHOLE lot with opportunities to read. I'm a homeschool mom who is busy teaching most of the day. But, we have 7 hour drives to visit our parents. It's 30 minutes to get to most stores around here. I can shop and grab a new book if I didn't take or have time before I left the house. How cool is THAT?!?!

Now, I have never been a BIG reader. Neither is my 9 (almost 10) year old. Remember the 100 for $3.99 or less deal I mentioned? I grabbed a title for my daughter Little Blog on the Prairie (1.99 until the end of December) and my reluctant reader was in the middle of chapter 2 on my new Kindle before going to bed. My point is sometimes the medium can make all the difference in interest. I'm already 20% finished with A Christmas Carol and already looking forward to the next classic I never actually read growing up.

I hope this helps someone out there exploring Kindles.

Thanks for this review. I've got the $79 Kindle. I love it, except for the way the keyboard works. My kids think it's a special treat to read a book on Mom's Kindle :D I was debating getting a second one, but I think I might just go for the KK this time instead.

My dd is on her THIRD $79 Kindle since October 1st! The ads are no problem and she loves it, except for the fact that each one of them has suddenly just NOT turned on. She bought it at Best Buy, so they have just let her get a new one since they still carry them. I don't know how common this problem is, but just thought I'd share that.

Another dd has the Kindle Keyboard and has had no issues since she got it last August, she does not use it as often as the other dd because she is a college student with less time to read.

If dd's third try is not a charm, I think she will try another model.

I've had the Keyboard for a little over a year, and recently bought the Touch for ds. I think the Basic Kindle will be fine if all you want to do is read. If you want to listen to audiobooks, spend the extra money and get either the Keyboard or Touch. Personally, I prefer to listen to audiobooks on my smartphone because of the size. If I'm listening to a book on my Kindle I can't stick it in my pocket and do something else while I listen.

Ds has had no complaints about his Touch. He had been borrowing my Keyboard and was a little hesitant about the Touch. I told him we had 30 days to return it, and after reading 2 books on it, it he decided he likes it.

As for the ads, I think they're worth it. I turned my Keyboard into a Special Offers Kindle. So far I've saved $5 on a $15 order and was able to get 2 regular priced books for only $1. The ads are unobtrusive, and aren't there when you're actually reading a book.

The KT wasn't as bright as the KK. Why? Because the KT only refreshes the screen every 5 pages so you end up with mild shadowing between pages. The KK refreshes every page. The ink is SLIGHTLY darker (even Amazon will tell you this, as will many reviews).

You can change this in the settings. The 5 page refresh is similar to the way the Nook Touch does it, but you can change so it refreshes on every page.

The KT is not as friendly to left handers. The screen is mapped. The far left side of the screen turns a page backwards. The rest of the bottom 2/3 of the screen turns the page forwards.
This is one reason why I wouldn't want the Touch. I played a bit with the one I got for ds, and I do think I'd have a problem with it.

If you are considering audio books, you can get $100 off any Kindle if you subscribe to Audible.com for one year ($14.99/mo). If you are going to get the Audio books anyway, it is a good deal.

OOOH. Thank you. I loved my audible.com membership when I have it and am STILL able to download stuff that I purchased from them 10-ish years ago! And use it on my new devices. This might enable me to get it for another year if I decide I want the Kindle.

It is an iPod and comes only with the USB cord. You can charge it if you plug it into a computer, but if you want to plug it into a wall, apparently you have to pay for the little adapter.

Wow, really? I have a Kindle3 (3G) and it came with the wall adapter. It was the high end version last year, so maybe the less expensive versions have never come with it? My iPhone wall adapter fits it too. If you have one of those it will work.

I absolutely adore my Kindle 3 with keyboard. I am never without it.

I don't know that I would like the one with the touchscreen.

I have a tablet that I am mad for but I don't read on it, don't like the backlight but I DO love it to read my pdf recipes and knitting patterns in color.

This. My Kindle goes everywhere with me. It's small enough to toss in my purse or diaper bag and I can read anywhere. I love getting sample chapters before I buy something and the e-ink technology is amazing. It really is like reading on paper. I kind of want the touch, because I would love to be able to zoom in on things, but I'm so happy with my keyboard version. I seriously love it. James Bond calls it "the other man" because I'm never without and frequently read in bed. He says I spend more time in bed with the Kindle than I am with him. :lol: