Menu

Allergies affecting handwriting, causes jitters, etc

I noticed about a month ago that I had a day where I was soooo spacey. I couldn't sit still, I could barely write straight, I couldn't focus on the computer, reading felt like a real struggle because my eyes were totally unfocused and all over the place, I was irrationally angry (almost enraged angry), etc. I figured it was just a weird day. Until today when I feel exactly the same way. Something clicked in my brain (the tiny shred of it that's still working properly) about my reading about a study of food allergies causing handwriting to get sloppy. Looked it up and now know it's from the book, "Is This Your Child?" something, something about allergies.

Anyway, I obviously have some allergy that is turning me into a crazy lady. Don't know what the culprit is, but I am starting to wonder if my allergy is something that is also affecting my Jekyll/Hyde daughter. Some days she's super sweet, other days she is a total terror--I never know what child I'm going to get when she comes home from school. I will be keeping a food diary on both of us from now on so I can figure this thing out.

Anyone ever experience this/have a child like this--did you figure out what the allergen was? I am going to do a hard core elimination diet on myself, but am less inclined to do that to my DD. I'm thinking I'll find my trigger food(s) and then start with those on her.

Those sound like all the symptoms my husband and daughters get with their migraines (although they have the headache, too). There ARE headache-less migraines. I wonder if it could be something like that? My husband in particular found that by staying away from certain foods, he could keep most of his symptoms at bay: citrus, caffeine, tomato, banana, msg, nitrates, some cheeses, to name a few.

I haven't noticed anything about handwriting, but my son's mood has changed drastically (for the better) since he's eliminated wheat. We went to a naturopath about his inattention, and did a blood test for sensitivities. Wheat was what showed up, and eliminating it has improved his mood markedly (not sure the inattention is better but it might be). He also stopped bedwetting. We recently took a vacation and I decided to let him go off the diet -- mistake. It confirmed for me that we need to hew to it pretty strictly for the foreseeable future. And I'm someone who tends to think things like that are hokum.

It could be overgrowth of yeast/candida which is caused by a sensitivity to sugar/carbs, so I have read. I have no real first hand experience but I read in several places that it can be like being drunk. :001_huh:

:001_huh: That is exactly how it feels to me! Duh. Yes, I feel like I am tipsy. I started my food journal and will nail down what is causing this. I was trying to make dinner and snapping beans proved to be a very difficult task.

It could be overgrowth of yeast/candida which is caused by a sensitivity to sugar/carbs, so I have read. I have no real first hand experience but I read in several places that it can be like being drunk. :001_huh:

there are many symptoms of yeast overgrowth. You can get a yeast cleanse from a health food store. big difference. start out slowly, as you really don't want to go cold turkey. wow. just . . . wow the very first time and had NO clue . . . .

oh, commercial yogurt has so much sugar in it, don't count on it to keep your yeast levels in check.

Edited by gardenmom5