Menu

Can you help me think of a horse present for a BOY?

I know most horse presents are for girls. I have an 11YO nephew who has started therapeutic riding lessons, and he finds that he loves horses. He's not a reader. And, like most boys his age, he's all wrapped up in computer games and doesn't really want any tangible toys for Christmas. But I did wonder if y'all can help me think of an appropriate horse gift. Naturally, I want to encourage horsemanship whenever I can. :lol:

Does he have his own riding helmet? You can get schooling ones for $25 or less new.

How about boots--does he have his own riding boots? or even some brushes of his own to use (provided therapeutic place will let him bring his own).

I would ask about where he rides--can he bring in his own treats for the horses?

http://www.horse.com has some more boy type horse t-shirts.

You are right though, this is harder for a boy than a girl.

You said therapeutic lessons, so I'm not sure if this would apply as I don't know his disability, but if he likes to draw, you could get him a "How to Draw Horses" book. That way he can immerse himself in horses whenever he wants and they will be "his".

Or, would he like books that show the various types of horses, what they are used for, their anatomy, training, etc? I came across some great unisex horse books on Amazon for my neice recently.

That was what I was thinking----just check where he rides though as some places like 1 set of brushes for each horse (to help prevent any transfer of skin stuff) and if he rides different horses each week that might be an issue. Then again some places don't care.

Sun glasses with a band for the head? Riding pants? Riding gloves? Horse calendar with horse stickers so he can mark his riding days? Horse movie DVD? Cute boy boots? (I wasn't thinking actual riding boots. I know they are very costly.) I wonder if there is a riding supplies consignment store near you? There are all sorts of neat things in such places.

Edited by LibraryLover

OK, of all these brilliant ideas, I especially love the idea of the riding hat. I'm going to check with his mom.

I love all the books mentioned; but he's not a reader.

But for those of you who are buying gifts for horse crazy kids, let me recommend a movie: Horse Crazy. It was so, so, so cute!! The star is a boy about 10 years old, but a girl also has a lead role. It was just so cute. Three thumbs up (from me and my non-horsey dh and ds). ETA: Four thumbs up. Grandma liked it too.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I would love to buy my nephew a riding helmet.

Edited by Cindyg

OK, of all these brilliant ideas, I especially love the idea of the riding hat. I'm going to check with his mom.

I love all the books mentioned; but he's not a reader.

But for those of you who are buying gifts for horse crazy kids, let me recommend a movie: Horse Crazy. It was so, so, so cute!! The star is a boy about 10 years old, but a girl also has a lead role. It was just so cute. Three thumbs up (from me and my non-horsey dh and ds).

Thanks again for all the ideas. I would love to buy my nephew a riding helmet.

Does he like audio books? It might be fun to get him that and a soft headseat for a CD player. We picked up decent one for DD $10 at Best Buy. We bought a pink one, but they did have other colors. :)

Edited by LibraryLover