Menu

Fun s/o of egg thread!

Soooooooooooooooo....................................................

if your dh (or you, or your dw) could not cook when you got married, how did you remedy that situation? ;)

We have a few dishes that will go down in history: Dh's famous barbecued chicken :tongue_smilie: (completely raw!), and the time the Tuna Helper had crunchy noodles.

That said he has become quite the cook. Honestly, I am not totally sure how we remedied the situation. I know we had to break through his perfectionsim, which led to a paralyzing fear of trying anything he was not already good at. I am pretty sure we did that by having me mess up a few dishes :tongue_smilie: and laughing about it.

I am also reasonably sure that when we would go over to barbecue's at friends houses I would shove him in the direction of the grill master and say, "Go. Watch. Learn." ;)

Sometimes when I am cooking I will pull him over and have an impromptu cooking lesson or he becomes my prep cook! :D

That said, I started thinking about the amount of things he can now cook and am rather impressed. Now, he is not going to be making homemade bread anytime soon, but I could leave for a week and he would be able to feed himself and the kids balanced meals.

If your dh learned to cook after you married (or became a lot better at it) how did it happen?

Edited by simka2

Neither of us could cook when we got married. I quickly learned that I love to cook, and I love to try new stuff! My husband can cook now and does cook regularly, but it's always simple stuff. That's cool with me. Luckily no one in the house is picky!

ETA: I don't know if Patrick would have learned to cook if I hadn't been in nursing school when we got married. It was either cook or starve. ;)

I had the opposite situation. *I* could not cook AND I was dealing with a health problem. My husband's solution, since I also worked fewer hours and got home first, was that I should have supper on the table when he got home (no, this was not a "has to be done" throughout our marriage thing, just a motivational goal for me in the beginning). I learned a lot during that time.

I haven't yet succeeded at this. I think I need to improve my directions.

Recently I had him make eggs in a microwave omelet thingy we have. I told him to "crack the eggs into it, add a very little bit of water, salt and pepper, mix them up with that fork, and cook them for 1 minute and 45 seconds". In my mind, that's how you do it.

They were terrible. My mistakes were not specifying the amount of water (I wouldn't have thought half as much water as egg was "a little bit"), not specifying the amount of salt and pepper (but I don't measure, so ?), and not explaining exactly how you mix them up with a fork. He stuck the fork tines in straight vertically, then moved it around for a few seconds. I should have said you actually turn the fork sideways and make circles that way so as to incorporate air. Bless his heart. But if I spend too long explaining it, he gets huffy.

I'll be watching. :lurk5:

I had the opposite situation. *I* could not cook AND I was dealing with a health problem. My husband's solution, since I also worked fewer hours and got home first, was that I should have supper on the table when he got home (no, this was not a "has to be done" throughout our marriage thing, just a motivational goal for me in the beginning). I learned a lot during that time.

Great point! I completely spaced that this is not a gender specific issue.I will edit the op. ;)

My dh couldn't cook when we got married. And almost 12 years later, he still can't, so hats off to those of you whose cooking instruction classes (whether subtle or overt) succeeded.

My dh's claim to fame (or rather, one of the stories I've made him famous for :D) is one time when he was trying to saute hotdogs, he spilled the oil on himself and had to go to the ER. Yes, he went to the ER from making hotdogs. Now that's a gift.

We met in high school and neither of us could cook well.

When we first lived together, I did Thanksgiving for his family (it was good) and then didn't cook again for a couple of months. He learned to cook & we've both improved since then.

So for me it was just simply not cooking. He picked up cooking in self defense. :) But I was perfectly willing not to eat at all (my response to stress) so he had motivation to pick up the slack.

My dh couldn't cook when we got married. And almost 12 years later, he still can't, so hats off to those of you whose cooking instruction classes (whether subtle or overt) succeeded.

My dh's claim to fame (or rather, one of the stories I've made him famous for :D) is one time when he was trying to saute hotdogs, he spilled the oil on himself and had to go to the ER. Yes, he went to the ER from making hotdogs. Now that's a gift.

:lol::lol::lol: Very funny!

....but I have to ask, you sautee hot dogs in oil? :confused:

I have boiled, grilled, broiled, microwaved, browned in a pan, and cooked them over an open fire. I have never heard of sauteeing in oil, is this a "secret" family recipe? :D

Dh used to cook. I do most of the real cooking but he'll make quesadillas, sandwiches, etc.

He likes to make up stuff and it usually involves lots of cheese and ranch. It will taste good, but you have to be brave enough to try it. My favorite story is the chicken tetrazzini he made substituting fresh jalepenos for bell pepper. They're both green peppers, right? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Very funny!

....but I have to ask, you sautee hot dogs in oil? :confused:

I have boiled, grilled, broiled, microwaved, browned in a pan, and cooked them over an open fire. I have never heard of sauteeing in oil, is this a "secret" family recipe? :D

Yes! It's so secret, in fact, it's a recipe only my dear, dear dh knows, and I'd never dare to ask... :D

From what I used to see, however, he splits them open and stuffs them with cheese and fresh garlic, and then sautees them. Or he might sautee them first, then stuff them, then saute them a little more. I'm not terribly sure, especially since I'm usually hiding myself in a closet somewhere until he's done.*

I'm more of a squid hotdog person, myself.

* This also goes for when he attempts spaghetti.

We married young and neither of us could cook. :glare:

I learned out of self preservation. My mom would teach me things when she and my dad came to visit. (we moved 350 miles away in order to attend college after we got married)

Dh theoretically can cook. hmmph... every thing ends up overcooked and salty so I prefer to do it myself. :lol: Seriously, even when we had backyard chickens he could make the eggs rubbery, tasteless and salty, it is some kind of evil gift. Ha

In exchange he does all the car maintenance and yard work so I really can't complain.

I'm a single mom and I don't really cook. I mean, I was taught the basics of cooking as a kid, and I "can" cook (i.e., follow a recipe), but I don't enjoy it at all. I find that there are actually plenty of ways to have a healthy diet without really cooking.

Before kids, I was hoping to meet a compatible guy who also liked cooking. Didn't happen. So then I thought, ugh, I'm gonna have to break down and start cooking like a traditional woman. But so far, I've managed to avoid it, and my kids are 5 (and very healthy). They get their share of good home cookin' since my sister, who is my Sunday babysitter, cooks for us almost weekly nowadays.

Dh really only knows how to make a few things. He's good at grilling, so I take advantage of that. He cooks eggs using his own method that we refer to as "scramble-frying" or "Dad style".

I like to cook, although I seem to go through periods where I just make whatever's easiest, then suddenly get a desire to try out new recipes. Dh is happy with whatever.

Wendi