Menu

What writing should we add to WWE? (if any)

My daughter is ten and a half and doing WWE4. I think it is enough of a challenge to her that I don't want to put her into WWS just yet.

BUT I do feel like we need something else, in addition ... something to get her started outlining, writing compositions, that kind of thing.

So my first question is, Does that type of instruction simply come with WWS, and should I just be patient until we do that? Or should we ADD something to WWE (and eventually WWS)?

We have tried Writing Strands and hated it. Other things I was considering was Meaningful Composition and Winning with Writing. What are the main differences/pros/cons between these two?

OR, would that be overkill? Is WWE/WWS enough for now??

Thanks

Jenny

I'm replying from my phone, so I can't add a lot of detail. TWTM says that they need to also write across the curriculum- notebooking, timelines, a book report or something, etc. IMO, using a writing program by itself is not enough writing. We did that the first year we started homeschooling and my kids treaded water with writing. The second year, we added in all kinds of writing across the curriculum and it made a huge difference.

I'm replying from my phone, so I can't add a lot of detail. TWTM says that they need to also write across the curriculum- notebooking, timelines, a book report or something, etc. IMO, using a writing program by itself is not enough writing.

That is what I'm thinking ... but yet I'm not quite sure what to do, exactly. Somehow, saying, "Write a book report tomorrow" or "Write a report about vikings" doesn't seem like enough information or guidance. That's why I'm wondering if I need a second writing curriculum.

Does TWTM go into more detail about how to write across the curriculum? Maybe I should go dig out my copy ...

We use TWTM method to write across the curriculum (written narratives, dictation, book reports, etc..) and this year I've also added in Winning With Writing to fill in some of the gaps you've mentioned :).

I wrote a brief outline of what our schedule looks like recently in this thread..

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330277

I'd take another look at TWTM. I'm going through the 5th grade stuff right now.

There is basic instruction on outlining. For "writing across the curriculum", it depends if you consider her to be doing fourth or fifth grade work. For fourth grade, it is writing narrations in all subjects, and writing on their independent writing once per week. Not necessarily a book report (I have heard SWB say she's not a fan of them) but narrating about a favorite scene or character. For fifth grade the writing detailed is more extensive, mostly tied to history and their history/literature reading.

With my 4th grader we do WWE4, just the dictation, twice per week, and usually a shorter dictation from his grammar program. He writes a narration about 4 times per week. One or two history, one or two science, and then once about the books he is reading on his own for literature (at this point the history (often a biography) and science reading is on his own at least half the time, too). Every few weeks I have been assigning one longer project. We did a few fable retellings with description and dialogue a la CW Aesop. I This week I assigned him a longer science report (it was actually his idea). He had to read two sources on an assigned topic and write 3 paragraphs. Together we made a very simple "outline"--he wrote down 3 headings for the paragraph topics, and we talked about what order they would best go in, and then he decided what information would fit where. I don't think this is necessarily what TWTM would advise, but it is along the lines of exercises in CW, IEW, and Writing Strands (which TWTM recommends) would require.

That is what I'm thinking ... but yet I'm not quite sure what to do, exactly. Somehow, saying, "Write a book report tomorrow" or "Write a report about vikings" doesn't seem like enough information or guidance. That's why I'm wondering if I need a second writing curriculum.

Does TWTM go into more detail about how to write across the curriculum? Maybe I should go dig out my copy ...

For the logic stage, WTM goes into a lot of detail about writing. My 10 yro is going to start logic stage work in January. I went thru WTM and took pages of notes about writing, outlining, science lab reports, literary essays, narrative essays, timelines, notebooking for history, etc. There is a ton of stuff in there. I feel very strongly that just using a writing program is not enough. They need to write in every class.

For grammar stage, my kids write a lot. Sometimes they just write a paragraph about something (I think my son described a dinosaur yesterday in his notebook)...or we did research on the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria and I had them write a one-page report on the ships and include sketches of the ships on graph paper...we use bits of curriculum that require a lot of writing - like Intermediate Language Lessons... My older two kids are pretty capable in the writing department. They understand a topic sentence and most of their spelling and grammar is correct. Obviously, they're not Stephen King or Homer :tongue_smilie:...they write like kids.

Also, I'm getting ready to buy this: http://www.writeshop.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=0020 It's Wordsmith Apprentice. I'm not sure if it's any good, but I could let you know in a few weeks. :D

I just want to add this: as we go into the Logic Stage, I need to make sure I'm not keeping the kid in a perpetual Grammar Stage (as far as expectations with writing).

Edited by starrbuck12

He writes a narration about 4 times per week. One or two history, one or two science, and then once about the books he is reading on his own for literature (at this point the history (often a biography) and science reading is on his own at least half the time, too). Every few weeks I have been assigning one longer project. We did a few fable retellings with description and dialogue a la CW Aesop. I This week I assigned him a longer science report (it was actually his idea). He had to read two sources on an assigned topic and write 3 paragraphs. Together we made a very simple "outline"--he wrote down 3 headings for the paragraph topics, and we talked about what order they would best go in, and then he decided what information would fit where. I don't think this is necessarily what TWTM would advise, but it is along the lines of exercises in CW, IEW, and Writing Strands (which TWTM recommends) would require.

This sounds really good. We also use Classical Composition (Fable Level) for our writing program and the 4th grader has been outlining all year.