Menu

What age is Calvin & Hobbes appropriate for?

...he was probably 12 or so. I don't remember any bad language, but I don't really think a 6yo would "get it". Why? Because (correct me if I'm wrong) he is about the same age as "Calvin", and C & H is about all those amusing things that little boys that age do naturally without the remotest idea that it could possibly be funny to somebody. That's what makes it funny.

I love Calvin and Hobbes and so do my kids. BUT, one of my ds' started to become Calvin! Now, he was around 7yo at the time, and he just thought Calvin was wonderful. I finally had to hide all the Calvin & Hobbes books when he began to treat the little girl next door like Suzy and constantly wanting to play tricks on everybody. So, while there is nothing inappropriate in the comics IMO, I'll wait till my dc are older to bring them out again, lol.

Kim

Yes. I've had to ban the books periodically over the years. Ds would just absorb them, internalize them, and become a total brat! A few days without them, and he'd return to his normal self (not perfect, but within the spectrum of well adjusted).

He's 10 1/2 now, and he still loves C&H. He can read them now, though, without it changing his personality. He understands the big words better, and gets the jokes that used to go over his head.

So, to answer the OPs original question: while the books aren't overtly offensive, obsession with them can cause some problems. The problems are manageable, though.

My youngest sister (now 21) and my older daughter both learned to read with the help of Calvin (both were 5ish)--though a little kid won't get a lot of the jokes, they still love the comics. My friend's little boy did the same thing at 6.

I think Calvin and Hobbes is a good comic for 6yo's, as long as they aren't trying to imitate him. My kid is far more likely to turn into Susie, though...

I believe my daughter discovered Calvin when she was close to turning 7, IIRC. She's been a big fan of graphic novels and comic strips since age 6. No problems from them and she gets a lot of the jokes, by now (closing in on age 8) most of them.

Calvin turned my then 7 ds into a fluent reader. I still cherish memories of him and his sisters all gathered around the latest C&H collection, giggling. We did have a slight "turning into Calvin" problem, but a little talk resolved it. My four oldest still adore C&H (youngest can't read yet, but he even looks like Calvin). They usually all get a C&H or TinTin volume every Christmas.

I love Calvin and Hobbes and so do my kids. BUT, one of my ds' started to become Calvin! Now, he was around 7yo at the time, and he just thought Calvin was wonderful. I finally had to hide all the Calvin & Hobbes books when he began to treat the little girl next door like Suzy and constantly wanting to play tricks on everybody. So, while there is nothing inappropriate in the comics IMO, I'll wait till my dc are older to bring them out again, lol.

Kim

Oh my goodness - the same thing happened here as well!!! He was about 6 years old as well. And what is so strange about it is that this child hates, HATES, to pretend to be anything other than who he is - but there was something "freeing" about becoming Calvin I guess!!

We too had to curb the books for a time. He still enjoys them, but he no longer has the Calvin as an alter ego syndrome!!

BTW - that year his reading log, which normally had 10-20 chapter books a month - had about 2 months with virtually no books listed because he was only reading Calvin & Hobbes.