Menu

No voice at all today... what to do?

Are you SURE you don't have strep? I had strep and a BAD cold with no fever. The cold meant I waited too long to go in for my very painful sore throat, because all the symptom sheets talk about strep meaning you don't have cold symptoms. True. Unless you have both. :tongue_smilie:Strep is going around, here.

Things that provided some relief:

--sticking my head over a sink of hot water with a towel on my head and breathing through my throat. A steamy shower is the same idea but uses more water.

--hot chamomile teas with honey. At night, I added a little "something". :). (honey flavored wild turkey)

--Ibuprofen

--chloraseptic

Are you SURE you don't have strep? I had strep and a BAD cold with no fever. The cold meant I waited too long to go in for my very painful sore throat, because all the symptom sheets talk about strep meaning you don't have cold symptoms. True. Unless you have both. :tongue_smilie:Strep is going around, here.

Things that provided some relief:

--sticking my head over a sink of hot water with a towel on my head and breathing through my throat. A steamy shower is the same idea but uses more water.

--hot chamomile teas with honey. At night, I added a little "something". :). (honey flavored wild turkey)

--Ibuprofen

--chloraseptic

How will I know if I have strep? I don't have a fever now, but I think I did yesterday. I feel weak and achy all over. The throat is still very, very sore -- even after sipping hot Sleepy Time Throat Tamer Tea (two cups). The tea helped a little, but still no voice at all. I am writing notes to the girls. Thank God they all can read.

I have Chloraseptic, Advil, honey and tea. Thanks for the tips. I think I'll go take a nice, looooooong, hot shower. :lol:

The girls are stamping Christmas cards! :D Their notes are hilarious.

Dear Mommy,

I love you. I hope you feel better soon. Merry Christmas! Love, H_____

Dear Daddy,

I love you. Mommy is sick and you are in New York. :sad: I wish you were home. Merry Christmas! Love, M______

Dear Grammy and Pop Pop,

I love you. I hope you get lots of presents and I hope I get lots of presents! Glory to God in the highest! Merry Christmas! Love, S________

Last night, the throat pain and coughing were so severe, I could not sleep for more than a few hours. This morning, no voice at all. DH is working out of town this weekend, so I'm flying solo with the kids.

Any suggestions?

Where do you live? I'm in a mid-Atlantic state and I'm also sick and voiceless. It seems to be going around, but my throat pain is not severe. My voice got horse Thursday evening. Yesterday morning I had no voice at all and was on the couch all day. Luckily for me I have big kids. My teen made me some miso soup. Today, no voice again and still feel like I could sleep all day (again). I just cancelled all of our weekend plans :-/

Ibuprofen and camomile with honey go a long way. I'd tell the kids it's a movithon weekend and just order lots of take-out food for them. Be sure you rest and drink LOTS of water so you can recover sooner.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Where do you live? I'm in a mid-Atlantic state and I'm also sick and voiceless. It seems to be going around, but my throat pain is not severe. My voice got horse Thursday evening. Yesterday morning I had no voice at all and was on the couch all day. Luckily for me I have big kids. My teen made me some miso soup. Today, no voice again and still feel like I could sleep all day (again). I just cancelled all of our weekend plans :-/

Ibuprofen and camomile with honey go a long way. I'd tell the kids it's a movithon weekend and just order lots of take-out food for them. Be sure you rest and drink LOTS of water so you can recover sooner.

I live in the mid-Atlantic as well, and a virus is going around that seems to settle in the voicebox area. I had this about a month ago, and my symptoms were similar. It lasted for about two weeks, and I lost my voice for about three days. Tea with lemon helped, and lots of rest.

I'm sorry you are sick today! Give your dc lots of chances to minister to you, even if all they can give you is a hug. They can eat pb&j and cereal, and watch movies.

The great thing is that you should be all better before Christmas.

:grouphug:

GardenMom

How will I know if I have strep? I don't have a fever now, but I think I did yesterday. I feel weak and achy all over. The throat is still very, very sore -- even after sipping hot Sleepy Time Throat Tamer Tea (two cups). The tea helped a little, but still no voice at all. I am writing notes to the girls. Thank God they all can

I don't know. :)

I got so miserable and my throat hurt worse than I could remember it hurting, so I went in for the doctor to even tell my what over-the-counter would help. It didn't just hurt when I talked or swallowed. It was constant. couldn't sleep and kept starting to cry over the pain. My dh was also out of town. It stinks!

She also asked me if I had a headache (yes!), stomach hurt (no), if I generally felt bad (YES!). And when she pressed on my lymph nodes, they were tender. And about the fever, mine was slightly elevated (99), but not anything that would have made anyone think fever.

Edited by snickelfritz

Urgent care clinic, and then back home for movies and bed.

:iagree: I'm just staying home and resting because I think it'll run it's course. Some friends have had this in the last few weeks and it turned out not to be strep. (Im in central MD, BTW) HOWEVER if I had severe throat pain, I would get checked for strep . . . for peace of mind if nothing else. Some of those places let you make an appt online. It was very quick when I took my daughter in at the end of summer. She DID have strep, so it's good we didn't wait.