Menu

Latin sequence/sources/etc once they finish Latin 2?

I am way out of my league here. 10th grade ds LOVES Latin (and math and physics and astronomy......Jane and Ester would both love him :lol:)

In a couple of months he will have finished Latin Prep 1-3 and So You Really Want to Learn Latin 2.

Where does he go next? I am completely clueless. He is thinking about attending a Latin camp this summer and wants to continue w/Latin in 11th and 12th. I'm not sure what I should even be investigating.

TIA!!

ETA: I guess I should mention that we also attend a church where Mass is about 1/3 Latin.

Hi 8Fill!

You know that both my daughter and I would love to be added to the list of Latin AND math lovers, just like your son. :D

Here are the texts we used at home for our beyond-Latin-grammar years: We spent three years using these resources:)

Vergil Legamus transitional reader/ TM - one transitional reader was enough for dd, but I'd recommend using as many as needed. They're wonderful resources to bridge the gap between the grammar years and advanced Latin.

Vergil text/ tm

Vergil AP vocabulary cards

Catullus text/ tm

Catullus workbook / tm

Ovid text/ tm

Ovid wkbk/ tm

Horace text/tm

Horace wkbk/ tm

Cicero text

These general resources proved useful over the years:

Classical Mythology text - good for browsing and helpful in prepping for the NLE and Medusa Mythology exams. Dd's bookshelves are stuffed with classical mythology books, too, just for her own pleasure reading.

Excelability in Advanced Latin / TM - can't recommend this enough for keeping the Latin grammar and structure fresh after moving on to reading Latin. We usually did an exercise or two per week out of this book over several years.

Amsco Latin III/IV Review wkbk & key (the site won't allow me to reference the exact page, so search on the site for "Latin Three and Four Years: Prose and Poetry (Review Text)"). Nice little overall review book for the upper years with grammar exercises, comprehension passages, word study & derivatives, idioms, culture, and vocabulary lists. It was written as a guide to the former Latin Achievement test (now the SAT II Latin test).

REA study guides for AP and SAT II Latin exams

NLE, Mythology, Medusa Mythology exams - annually

Just to put this in context, I learned Latin from scratch along with the kiddos over our homeschooling years, using Artes Latinae with ds and Henle Latin with dd to master the Latin grammar. Both kids studied the grammar from late elementary through middle school, using the slow and steady approach.

I had to rely a LOT on teacher helps and answer keys to be able to make this work. Bolchazy-Carducci and Focus/Pullins publishers were my friends.:) We did not outsource Latin, but we had lots of other Latin resources on the shelf that I picked up over the years to help us out when we got stuck (including Wheelocks).

Dd is now a happy math AND Latin double major (she won't give up either!) and is doing exceptionally well in her college Latin classes. She was awarded a Latin scholarship and placed into the advanced Latin track at college (which uses in-house placement exams) after completing all of the above stuff in high school with me.

:lurk5:

And there is always Wheelock's Latin for review and reinforcement. I suggest looking at the colleges he might be interested in and checking their classics courses. Sometimes the instructors put up syllabi from previous years/semesters. (Dd is a classics major.)

http://wheelockslatin.com/

HTH

Edited by MicheleinMN
added link

:lurk5:

And there is always Wheelock's Latin for review and reinforcement. I suggest looking at the colleges he might be interested in and checking their classics courses. Sometimes the instructors put up syllabi from previous years/semesters. (Dd is a classics major.)

http://wheelockslatin.com/

HTH

Thanks Michelle. I think he wants to prep for one (or 2???) of the AP exams. I'm not quite sure how it all works and if he is prepared for that as a next step or not. My head is spinning w/all the info!

Honestly, I use just plain texts. Since they are all out of copyright, they are printable from various online collections as well. I do have a bunch of Latin textbooks with selections and commentaries, a bunch of nicely fleshed out Latin programs (picked up from various professors which shared them with me or put online), a bunch of bilingual texts which include nice commentaries too, but most of the time, I find myself simply using a plain text, sometimes printed off the internet.

I recommend finding a progression fleshed out the way you like it, with indicated readings, and then just getting texts and going through it. Or, if you prefer an approach by "covering" single authors rather than a chronological mishmash, using guided readers with excerpts such as those Kathy suggests.

We plan to use Lingua Latina: Roma Aeterna. It begins with heavily adapted text, and moves into less adapted text and then to original text.

I don't really know what I'm doing, so if anyone has anything to add, positive or negative, about Roma Aeterna, I'm all ears.

I would recommend making sure your kid is comfortable already with reading the earlier book Familia Romana. I find that the jump between these two texts is fairly broad.

Of course, finding the sweet spot between the difficulty levels of these two texts is tricky. I can go on about how I feel about the various texts that Focus, the publisher, recommends as bridges, but I'll go ahead and give you the upshot: I think their re-published Epitome Historiae Sacrae will provide the smoothest transition. Be sure you get the Focus publishing edition, and not the printout of an old scanned copy.

If you can track down copies at reasonable prices, Fabulae Graecae and Fabulae Romanae are nice readers. Fabulae Graecae is basically an edition of Ritchie's Fabulae Faciles, which is available in the public domain, but the Longman edition here has accompanying notes and explanations which are useful whether they're new to the student or a review.

As for grammar, Bennett's is available from Gutenberg, and in a nice Bolchazy edition. But my vade mecum is the Bolchazy edition of Bradley's Arnold. One parent here, I forget who, actually mentioned using this as their current Latin curriculum, which I think is a terrific idea even if you aren't using the translation exercises. Not only does it have clear explanations for many grammatical concepts explained as you'd need to understand them to actually use them, but you can even look up certain words that have peculiar rules associated with them.

We plan to use Lingua Latina: Roma Aeterna. It begins with heavily adapted text, and moves into less adapted text and then to original text.

I don't really know what I'm doing, so if anyone has anything to add, positive or negative, about Roma Aeterna, I'm all ears.

If you haven't joined the Orberg online discussion group, there's a link on a Focus Publishing page: http://focusbookstore.com/LLlinks.aspx The people who post there regularly are very generous about sharing their experience and links to enrichment activities and resources.

When she finishes Wheelock's (in a few weeks! :D,) dd will be over my head, so I am going with Lukeion Latin 3 for next year. I don't know if an online course is one of the options you are exploring or not? (If not, sorry for being the dunce who says to just outsource - I don't usually, but upper Latin will be one of my few exceptions.)

So glad you posted this, because I was wondering what to do for the rest of the year. These lists will help!

I am way out of my league here. 10th grade ds LOVES Latin (and math and physics and astronomy......Jane and Ester would both love him :lol:)

In a couple of months he will have finished Latin Prep 1-3 and So You Really Want to Learn Latin 2.

Where does he go next? I am completely clueless. He is thinking about attending a Latin camp this summer and wants to continue w/Latin in 11th and 12th. I'm not sure what I should even be investigating.

TIA!!

ETA: I guess I should mention that we also attend a church where Mass is about 1/3 Latin.

Hello 8Fill,

The Focus/Pullins materials have been especially helpful to me both for working with my son and now for self-ed. Wheelock's is my favorite reference book. When I don't understand something I'm either able to find the answer there or at least refine my questions into an understandable form.

Since my son has graduated, I don't spend much time looking at new curriculum, but you might also look to see if Memoria Press is offering something new. I believe they are in the process of revamping their Latin sequence.

HTH,

Martha

He is thinking about attending a Latin camp this summer and wants to continue w/Latin in 11th and 12th.

My daughter attended Christendom's summer Latin immersion program in July and had a phenomenal time! She really wants to go again this summer, and highly recommends it! She wants to major in chemical engineering, so Christendom isn't a good college fit for her, but she still felt very welcomed during the summer program.

Anyway, since you mentioned having your son attend a Latin camp, I thought I'd throw that out there. :D

My daughter attended Christendom's summer Latin immersion program in July and had a phenomenal time! She really wants to go again this summer, and highly recommends it! She wants to major in chemical engineering, so Christendom isn't a good college fit for her, but she still felt very welcomed during the summer program.

Anyway, since you mentioned having your son attend a Latin camp, I thought I'd throw that out there. :D

THis is actually the camp he is interested in attending. Christendom isn't a good match for his current future objectives, but we are Catholic and I think one day this young man may end up in the priesthood. ;)

When she finishes Wheelock's (in a few weeks! :D,) dd will be over my head, so I am going with Lukeion Latin 3 for next year. I don't know if an online course is one of the options you are exploring or not? (If not, sorry for being the dunce who says to just outsource - I don't usually, but upper Latin will be one of my few exceptions.)

So glad you posted this, because I was wondering what to do for the rest of the year. These lists will help!

Thank you for the suggestion. It isn't a bad one. This ds, however, will be taking multivariable cal and cal-based physics at the local university next yr and I am thinking being able to self-pace his Latin is going to be important. Otherwise, I would be right there w/you!!

Hello 8Fill,

The Focus/Pullins materials have been especially helpful to me both for working with my son and now for self-ed. Wheelock's is my favorite reference book. When I don't understand something I'm either able to find the answer there or at least refine my questions into an understandable form.

Since my son has graduated, I don't spend much time looking at new curriculum, but you might also look to see if Memoria Press is offering something new. I believe they are in the process of revamping their Latin sequence.

HTH,

Martha

Thank you for these suggestions as well. I am going to spend time over Christmas break reviewing all the options and narrowing them down and then let ds go through and determine what meets his personal objectives.