Menu

It took me 30 yrs to figure out....

:lol: Yeah, for as much as I hate heat and humidity, I sometimes wonder why I spent so much time outside when I was younger. But then I remember we didn't have air conditioning, and in Florida, that was unbearable! So I spent a lot more time outside then than I do now. But I'm not so sure I'm willing to give it up just to get out more. :)

Guest Katia

I stay inside as much as possible, as I think it is healthier for us.

When I was younger I didn't have to worry that:

1) I'd get cancer from the sun

2) That I'd die from mosquito bites.

3) That I could get serious diseases from ticks.

The outside world has changed and it's just not as user-friendly as it used to be. I'm happier inside, thanks. With my a/c.

I stay inside as much as possible, as I think it is healthier for us.

When I was younger I didn't have to worry that:

1) I'd get cancer from the sun

2) That I'd die from mosquito bites.

3) That I could get serious diseases from ticks.

The outside world has changed and it's just not as user-friendly as it used to be. I'm happier inside, thanks. With my a/c.

You're joking? Yes? I can't tell!

Only one of those three things has changed in the last 50 years, and you're probably going to die of heart disease, statistically speaking, which can be largely avoided through...exercise outdoors! :-)

I haven't caved yet this year on the A/C--for precisely the reasons the OP mentioned!

You're joking? Yes? I can't tell!

Only one of those three things has changed in the last 50 years, and you're probably going to die of heart disease, statistically speaking, which can be largely avoided through...exercise outdoors! :-)

I haven't caved yet this year on the A/C--for precisely the reasons the OP mentioned!

Yes, please tell me you are joking before I launch into a long list of the artificial materials, toxic gases, continuous electromagnetic exposure, etc., which we live with when we remain indoors.

...And before I launch into my spiel about why I don't believe sun exposure causes cancer ;)

how to make myself want to spend more time outdoors.

DON'T HAVE AIR CONDITIONING!! :p

We haven't had A/C for over 7 years (England, Germany and now Stateside). The next 3 days are calling for triple digits and extremely high humidity.

:glare:

We're going to the pool.

You know, I have a love/hate relationship with a/c. On the one hand, it feels so good and refreshing when it is just wicked hot outside. I get cranky and feel like I will melt if I'm overheated.

On the other hand I hate waking up with a sore throat, and I hate the fake-cold feeling of it, and I hate it that my electric bill is so much higher in the summer just because we "need" the air conditioner.

I'm glad we have it, but I am trying to go as long as possible without it this year.

No A/C here, except a window unit in my room and dd11/dd2's room. We HAD one in the main area of the house but it doesn't work (it was really, really old) anymore. Must.get.new.one.soon! It is going to be triple digits here today...and it's only June 7! Ugh. I'm so irritable when I'm hot. No pool to go to here.

I absolutely hate having the ac on during the day (we only have wall and window units, no central air). Having the air on during the day makes me feel claustaprobic and gives me a headache. We do have a sun room which is all windows and we have ceiling fans in every room. However, I love having the ac on at night, it is nice to sleep in the cool. We really can't sit outside since the mosquitoes are so bad

I absolutely hate having the ac on during the day (we only have wall and window units, no central air). Having the air on during the day makes me feel claustaprobic and gives me a headache. We do have a sun room which is all windows and we have ceiling fans in every room. However, I love having the ac on at night, it is nice to sleep in the cool. We really can't sit outside since the mosquitoes are so bad

Jeannie, where are you in NJ? :)

We really can't sit outside since the mosquitoes are so bad

I'm getting a mosquito trap in a month! We live next to a swamp. No, I'm not kidding or exaggerating. *g* It's a swamp! Mosquitoes get insane here, but the neighbors are getting one, too, and we'll see how many more people in the neighborhood we can convince. If I can get enough, the entire neighborhood will be mosquito-free.

Guest Katia

Yes, I'm joking, LOL. I spend a lot of time outside, although I do love my a/c on humid days. I can sleep better with the a/c on as well.

However, it seems in my family that "I" am the one who enjoys the windows being open and bringing in that fresh air the longest. Dc are begging for a/c long before I am ready.

Hi Anj, "America's Greatest Family Resort" or something like that it is called. Have you guessed that I am talking about Ocean City? Where do you live?

Yes! I did guess even before I got to the answer. Dh actually graduated from Ocean City High School. We live in North Brunswick. :001_smile:

I grew up w/o AC on a pig farm. Not a nice smell to wake up to! I use to cool off by getting in the shower with all my clothes on and then would go back outside to play. And at night another shower, lots of baby powder, a wet wash cloth on the neck and a big box fan blowing right on me. Now I can't live without AC but enjoy the outdoors by swimming or mowing the yard (believe it or not). Next year we'll have a garden but I sure don't want to pull weeds in the heat. I just try to soak up the outdoors in the evenings and the spring, fall, and winter.

Cindy in AR