Menu

"I remember when..."

Ever since the kids were born, I would buy them an ornament that describes something from the previous year...and the kids are decorating the tree tonight and it is so much fun listening to them going through their ornaments remembering when and why they got that ornament that year. So fun.

We've always done the same thing & I've loved listening to where we were when we bought it, what we were doing, etc. I always thought that this way when they moved out on their own they would have a box of ornaments from their childhood to take with them. (OK, not all of them but most-I moved out and only had red bows on my first trees!) DDs are now 18 & 20 and I decided next year we're going to change it up. I thought instead that they would each buy us an ornament reflecting what happened to them the last year. My oldest dd will be studying in Germany for five months this year and I thought maybe she'd bring back an ornament reflecting this time. This way when they take their childhood ornaments with them we'll then be accumulating new ones from the next phase of their lives. Memories to pass on when we're gone.

Every single ornament on my tree has meaning. I also love that part of decorating the tree. I have bought all the kids an ornament each year to signify something that happened in their lives, and have kept every ornament they ever made as a craft. Now that 3 are adults and the others are growing we make an ornament for everyone in the family each year and keep one for ourselves as well as pick up one from every vacation. I think one of my favorites though is a baby shoe from each child with their name and date on the bottom of it. :)