Menu

How much phonics does a child need??

diaperjoys

My first grader is reading well, and is just finishing the CLE Learning to Read series. Is that enough?? CLE continues phonics instruction in their Reading curricula, even throughout second grade. Is higher phonics really necessary???? For example, is it necessary to have down cold the four spellings of schwa + r?? i.e. "er", "ir", "or", "ur"? Will I hamper his reading development if I stop our formal phonics training now?

I'd like to free up some time to do extra work on math concepts.

I'm sure there are a variety of opinions on the topic, and I'd love to hear them all!

I just taught my 1st grader the six ers(er, ir, ur, wor, ear, our). It took one lesson and I followed up today with a review. Then when we were doing a different lesson he came across it and used his new knowledge to read the word. It was very gratifying for him. We will be completing our phonics program. From everything that I've read, if you give them a strong foundation in reading all the rest will follow. Good luck!

If you don't want to continue phonics for reading, definitely do a spelling program that incorporates phonics. One thing that sometimes happens is that a child can take off reading early, but then hit a wall around 3rd or 4th grade because of gaps in their knowledge. But you can start focusing on phonics in spelling if you want and make sure he doesn't have gaps that way. Merry :-)

If you don't want to continue phonics for reading, definitely do a spelling program that incorporates phonics. One thing that sometimes happens is that a child can take off reading early, but then hit a wall around 3rd or 4th grade because of gaps in their knowledge. But you can start focusing on phonics in spelling if you want and make sure he doesn't have gaps that way. Merry :-)

:iagree:My son's first grade teacher mentioned this, and sure enough, when he hit the 4th grade level words, he hit a wall. He needed more phonics. We did phonics based spelling (AAS levels 1-3), and he took off past that wall. We still use spelling that reenforces phonics, but we don't spend as much time on it now that he's reading just about anything (somewhere around an 8th grade level, as far as I can tell).