Menu

2nd year in a row

Dmmetler

DD won the homeschool city-wide spelling bee for her age group (2nd grade)-which, at her age, means that there's nothing else. She's pretty happy. I do think it's starting to be more competitive. I believe they were pretty solidly into 3rd grade spelling patterns and phonics rules by the end, and the last three kids were really into it. DD's thrilled.

I'm in an area with a lot of homeschoolers, so there's a big umbrella organization that does preliminaries for city-wide competitions that's been around long enough to be accepted as a "School" or even "district" for that purpose. I guess that's one good thing about mediocre public schools-lots of people leaving the system to homeschool and demanding the same opportunities.

For DD, it's wonderful-it was a bad situation for her to always be on a different level academically in a classroom, but she really seems to need that occasional chance to shine and to show what she's capable of and get recognition, too, and the level of competition seemed pretty high this year.