Menu

Want to share any links to unbiased organic farming research

I'd like to learn more about organic farming. I'm finding it confusing, though. Some researchers say that organic farming is better for the environment and that organic foods are healthier. Others say that organic farming is worse for the environment and organic foods are no healthier. :confused:

Can you recommend any fairly unbiased sources? Specifically, I'm looking for links about: effects of organic and conventional farming on the environment, and the amount of pesticide residue left on produce after washing. Unfortunately, most of the research I am finding comes from biased sources (pro-organic organizations listing pro-organic research, pro-conventional listing pro-conventional) or from fringe sites.

Maybe another way to think about this is by reviewing basic plant science and thinking for yourself. If a plant draws nutrients from the soil, it would stand to reason that those nutrients remain with the plant, and those are the nutrients you consume as the end user. The health of the soil, in part, determines the health of the food.

Just because it says, "Organic" doesn't mean it is environmentally friendly. Large scale organic farming is Agri. business, and much of this type of farming is in mono crops. Places like Whole Foods could not exist without large scale farming.

[/url]You may find the resource(s) you're looking for here--Check out

Organic farming is a huge topic, but the very best thing I can recommend is starting a compost pile for yourself and then using it as a soil amendment in a small herb or vegetable patch. Through such an exercise, I think you will learn more about the nature of agriculture in general, and organic agriculture in particular, than any book could hope to teach you.

That said, check out Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Mineral, Vegetable for a pleasant read on organic food production.

Thanks for the replies. We already grow a good bit a home. I'm looking to find out whether it is worth it to buy organic foods. They are so much more expensive. I buy produce locally during the season and we buy our meat from a local farmer who raises his animals in a way we agree with. But, now that winter is here, I'm wondering if spending the extra on organic produce and milk is actually worth it or if I'm just doing it to feel better, kwim? That's why I'd like to find research to help me decide.

Buying local, organic produce helps support local farmers. Buying organic, even though it is more expensive, supports the idea of alternatives to commercial farming. In my opinion, "walking the talk" matters. Ones shopping, whether it is for food, clothing, or electronics, is a political statement of a kind. Yet I know full well that organic milk is too expensive for my small budget when my kids can consume a gallon of milk in an afternoon. With that in mind, I buy all organic produce (especially root veggies) and grains, but I buy less expensive dairy that is BeST free, but not organic. Is this better? I'd like to think it is better, but I doubt it.

The issues with buying organic dairy and meat are different than buying organic produce. The problems with commercial dairy and meat are the hormones and antibiotics given the animals.

Spend the money to eat as well as you can.