Menu

I am now an offical afterschooling parent

All of my children will be attending school as of January 3. I am still upset over the first ones going in and now all of them going I am felling down. It is for the best at this time. Homeschooling wasn't a forever thing and public school isn't a forever thing. We always said we'd take one year at a time. I am excited for my children and they will get to do more than what we have now. I can do more fun things with them than just educational things. I can now be MOM instead of TEACHER MOM.

:grouphug:

I hope the transitions are smooth for everyone (including you!) and school proves to be a wonderful blessing for your family.

:iagree:

I had a harder time making the transition to being a PS family after homeschooling than my DD did. Give yourself time to adjust, and expect that you'll have mixed emotions in the coming weeks.

Ya its been more me than the kids. I been trying to keep upbeat about it. Idon't like that my oldest will be one hour away from me for middle school but thankfully I have a friend there as my emergancy backup. I can pay tolls to get there in 30 minutes but that gets pricey so we always go the free way.

Hubby says i will enjoy having my time back because now I can cook/bake more. I joked and said yep, I'll get up at 0400 to make fresh hot breakfasts and once everyone is out of the house I can go back to bed. :)

At least my olest will have better science oppertunities and music options. Once we return to the states we may homeschool again, just depends on where we are stationed. We have 15 months left.

:iagree:

I had a harder time making the transition to being a PS family after homeschooling than my DD did. Give yourself time to adjust, and expect that you'll have mixed emotions in the coming weeks.

:iagree: It's been 4 months and I'm still not resigned to my kids being in school. They're mostly okay with it but I do get the weekly "I want to be homeschooled again" statements.

My younger two LOVE being at school and they been in for a month now. My youngest said she was both happy and sad that she had two weeks off. She isn't happy about being tutored afterschool but they want her at 1st grade level so next year it's twice a week afterschool basically learning site words and some comprehension,

My middle is doing well and has adapted quite well. He's the one with hearing aides and while I still don't have speech therapy he's getting it kinda thru being in a classroom setting. he has to really think about his words and speak louder. i feel a little bad that i never noticed that he spoke differently like my husband said he did. I was always with him so I was use to his speech. Now i am like say it again, say it louder. He is catching up to the school's standards much faster than his sister. Everyday he is eager to learn.

My oldest just started this past week instead of waiting. it was mostly celebration time this past week in school but with the easy atphoshere she was able to meet other kids and the teachers so now it won't be quite so new when she offically starts the classes next year. she even got her favorite electives band and then art for second semester. she has to to gym to finish out first sememster. She also wants to work on her Paces along with her school work so she understands and catches up to the school's standards.

my younger ones still work out of the ETC and WWE.

We'll be afterschoolers from the begining of our school year in February. I am looking forward to doing more fun learning as a family, rather than the bookwork stuff we were concentrating on. Dd will be at a Montessori school that doesn't assign homework, so we'll have lots of time to make home life how I thought homeschooling would be. I hope!

Nikki

• 1 month later...

My children all reieved As/Bs on their report cards. They are doing nicely in school. The teachers say they are a joy to have in class. I only have one teacher for my middle schooler who I have disagreements about so every day I look over my daughter's work, and document so there are no more future 'misunderstandings'.

They will return to homeschooling for the 2014-2015 school year. That is when we return to the states.

My children all reieved As/Bs on their report cards. They are doing nicely in school. The teachers say they are a joy to have in class. I only have one teacher for my middle schooler who I have disagreements about so every day I look over my daughter's work, and document so there are no more future 'misunderstandings'.

They will return to homeschooling for the 2014-2015 school year. That is when we return to the states.

:001_smile: