Menu

Cross referencing Susan Bauer's books

Guest dshatcher93

Guest dshatcher93

Hey, I'm new here so I hope I'm posting correctly.

I am wondering if anyone here has chosen to use Susan Bauer's books, History of the Ancient World and History of the Medieval World for their older children (7th and 8th graders) instead of the Story of the World volumes, which are geared toward elementary school age children rather than upper middle schoolers. The curriculum I'm considering using next fall suggests the SOW volumes but I'd prefer something that is geared to an older child.

If any mom here has done this, could you tell me how you cross referenced the chapters? I don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to. I would certainly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Suzanne

Hey, I'm new here so I hope I'm posting correctly.

I am wondering if anyone here has chosen to use Susan Bauer's books, History of the Ancient World and History of the Medieval World for their older children (7th and 8th graders) instead of the Story of the World volumes, which are geared toward elementary school age children rather than upper middle schoolers. The curriculum I'm considering using next fall suggests the SOW volumes but I'd prefer something that is geared to an older child.

If any mom here has done this, could you tell me how you cross referenced the chapters? I don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to. I would certainly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Suzanne

You might want to read a few chapters of the two series before you decide. There was a lengthy thread a few months back about History of the Ancient World. It's worth keeping in mind that they were written for adults and upper level students. So they might be a stretch for a middle schooler, even if they are reading at a high school level.

I have seen a couple curriculum that use SOTW as a reader, paired with some kind of a history encyclopedia as a "spine". I found that my own kids got something quite different out of SOTW 1 & 2 when they were reading it for themselves rather than just hearing it.

Not quite the question you had, but I hope it helps.

I added a tag to the thread (HOAW). If you click on that, it will take you to some of the other threads on using the upper level histories.

Guest dshatcher93

Sebastian, thanks for the comments. I have already requested the adult/high school level books from the library so I can review them before I decide. Also, your post reminded me that I also need to be looking at what the curriculum is pairing with SOTW. It may be that I don't need to change it and just use what is suggested.

Thanks again!

Suzanne