Menu

Best cheap place to live and homeschool

We're wanting to relocate. I'd love to be closer to water or mountains. We really don't have any connections anywhere, so we're open to considering any place.

Where do you think is the best place to live, homeschool, and is extremely affordable?

Thanks!

:D

Michigan.

It's super cheap to live here, we've got lots of water, and no homeschool regulations at all.

When I say cheap, I mean CHEAP. To buy a condo (in the nice suburb we live in) that's been built in the past ten years, you can easily find one for $70,000 or less that has two bedrooms and a walkout basement that leads out to a wooded area; probably at least 1500 sq. ft. You can find a two or three bedroom house of that size for the same price in the same suburb, but it'll just be a bit older; maybe 20-25 years old.

I'd not suggest the Metro Detroit area where I live, however. Too much crime, if you ask me. Even though we live in the 'burbs, I'd much prefer to live further from a big city.

It's really pretty here, too. :001_smile:

Economy's not good though, so if your dh will be looking for work, maybe not so much. However, if your dh has a job he can telecommute to and you can live anywhere, it's nice here.

Edited by bethanyniez

I would say West Michigan--esp. if you have a job that you can telecommute as the job situation here isn't the best.

We have Lake Michigan, sugar sand beaches, hilly areas to the north, all 4 seasons (but we do get snow), super easy homeschooling, big homeschool support groups, top notch medical care in Grand Rapids along with all of the big city ammenities, yet many rural areas if you like that less than 20 minutes out of the big city. Taxes are quite reasonable, housing is very reasonable and food costs are good.

The Houston area has some really affordable housing and is super home-school friendly. It gets really hot in the summer, but there are quite a few lakes plus the Gulf of Mexico is quite close, esp if you live on the south side of Houston. We are in a northeast suburb, and I love all the pines and other trees up on this side of Houston. Plus, the Texas economy has not taken anywhere near the hit that the rest of the country has and there is no state income tax in Texas.

www.har.com will give you a good idea of housing prices for all over Houston and the surrounding areas.

Edited by mandymom

Salt Lake City, Utah would be an easy move for you. Not sure how you feel about the culture, but there are NO homeschooling requirements. I think it's still relatively affordable. We like the south end of the Salt Lake Valley, or right in the city. Family friendly, for sure. Everyone has lots of kids, which has driven down the prices for events. We just moved to Virginia and I find myself frequently saying, "Wow, they could never get away with charging that much in Utah." Everything is cheaper- lessons, events, memberships, etc...

It's a very clean, organized place to live. I know that sounds weird, but it's exactly how I feel! We still own our home there. And no, we aren't Mormon.

East Tennessee. You have lakes, mountains and all 4 seasons.

Homeschooling is easy, especially if you register with an umbrella like Homelife..they are completely hands off.

Housing and cost of living are very affordable.

We are actually moving back there in the spring. :D

As an East Tennessean I second all of this! We live about an hour from the Smoky Mountains, and it is just a beautiful area to live in.

We also use Homelife Academy as our umbrella school and they have been very supportive of our educational choices. Our dd has special needs, and we did not want to have to subject her to standardized testing right now. Homelife leaves these kinds of decisions up to the parents.

Another for East Tennessee! I love it here. There are tons of homeschool groups, co-ops, etc. The weather is awesome, the mountains are awesome and we have tons of lakes. Great for homeschooling as well.

Plus, there's still plenty of 'country' here for relatively cheap if you look. :)

Texas, no state income tax. Homeschool laws that are awesome. I have lived in TN and they have many more laws. Water would put you on the coast Houston or Corpu Christi. You probably don't want to be too close to the border. No offense to anybody who lives in that area but our friends who live in Laredo are looking at moving for safety.

Best for laws and cost of living - TX and OK but no water or mountains unless you live on the coast.

If you want water and mountains then TN if you go with an umbrella school or have a Bachelor's degree if you want to school at the high school level and don't ming testing.

Utah and NV are not too bad law wise but cost of living is a little higher. They do have mountains and Utah has a very large lake but it smells bad. Lots of rivers and streams though.

WI has excellent cost of living, laws are pretty good and there is water but no moutains.

Well, we love central Washington state! We have mountains (we're one hour from a major mountain pass, skiing central), and we have creeks and lakes, plus Puget Sound is only 2 hours from here if you want to get to the "big water." Cost of living is far less than the Seattle area, and houses are priced low right now (duh). We are a one-income family and do just fine; we're happy. Homeschooling is easy in Washington state, despite what you see at HSLDA (you don't have to connect with the school district at all except to turn in your "notice of intent" each fall; you are supposed to test each year, but don't have to show those results to anyone). C'mon by!

Edited by milovaný

As an East Tennessean I second all of this! We live about an hour from the Smoky Mountains, and it is just a beautiful area to live in.

We also use Homelife Academy as our umbrella school and they have been very supportive of our educational choices. Our dd has special needs, and we did not want to have to subject her to standardized testing right now. Homelife leaves these kinds of decisions up to the parents.

:iagree:

I am in middle TN, but to be close to the mtns and water, East TN would be the place!

Best for laws and cost of living - TX and OK but no water or mountains unless you live on the coast.

Texas has TONS of lakes, and some really nice ones too...all sorts of landscape around the lakes depending on where you go in Texas. Eastern Oklahoma has some gorgeous lakes as well, and while no mountains (compared to Colorado), there are definitely places in both states that are not flat.

Edited by mandymom

Texas has TONS of lakes, and some really nice ones too...all sorts of landscape around the lakes depending on where you go in Texas. Eastern Oklahoma has some gorgeous lakes as well, and while no mountains (compared to Colorado), there are definitely places in both states that are not flat.

I forgot about the lakes even though I spent many a childhood hour at them. I attribute it to old age. :001_smile: