Menu

BJU $99 Distance Learning Special

BJUP is running a $99 special on subject DLO courses. You must purchase by Dec 20, but you have until Dec 31, 2012 to complete the course. It only covers the video portion so you would still need to get the books. Here is the link -- http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/content/distance-learning-online-subject-special

Yvonne in NE

:hurray: :hurray:

Thank you for posting this! I have been trying to find the money to order the Spanish dvd's, and now I don't have to. :lol:

I talked to them yesterday. Was excited about this as an option for Geometry....still considering. You do have to get the books, but she told me that for that class (and Bio, I was also considering) I would have access to all the teacher material online. These are online and not DVD's.

Now, does anyone know if I should go with BJU Geometry or TT Geometry (which I already have!!)???? :tongue_smilie:

I talked to them yesterday. Was excited about this as an option for Geometry....still considering. You do have to get the books, but she told me that for that class (and Bio, I was also considering) I would have access to all the teacher material online. These are online and not DVD's.

Now, does anyone know if I should go with BJU Geometry or TT Geometry (which I already have!!)???? :tongue_smilie:

The BJU upper level math texts are *very weak* in practical application. Dr. Conn--now teaches preCalc--is an adequate, though not great, teacher (he used to teach Geometry, which dd took when I was doing intense eldercare, but I hear that Tami Genco ?? sp?) is better.

Under no circumstances would I ever have another child take their PreCalc with a BJU book.

If you like TT, I'd stick with it.

BJUP is running a $99 special on subject DLO courses. You must purchase by Dec 20, but you have until Dec 31, 2012 to complete the course. It only covers the video portion so you would still need to get the books. Here is the link -- http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/content/distance-learning-online-subject-special

Yvonne in NE

To anyone considering this, based on our experience, I would not choose to take PreCalc or Physics.

YMMV.

I prefer TT for geometry. I really liked BJU for algebra. (this was without dvd's or online)

We really liked Mrs. Genco for Algebra 1 and Geometry. I remember seeing the texts in the online version, but I can't remember if it was the key or text. We prefer using the text for homework.

And if anyone is getting Spanish 3, I have the text, workbook, and T/E (unused, came in whole grade set).

Valerie,

All of the BJU high textbooks have been revised and updated during the last few years. Have you looked at the new textbooks?

I have looked at the updates in Physics but not in the maths. The updates in physics, spanish, american history, and american lit are extremely minor, but again, I cannot speak to any of the maths, as I haven't looked at them.

We did not have concerns about the science texts, only about the math texts. They have not changed the physics teacher...

I have heard rumors that the physics class is being redone with Mr. Harmon. Hopefully when their new catalog comes out the DLO/DVD physics class will have been redone with the new textbook and a new instructor.

Yvonne in NE

From what I've observed, there's usually about a two year gap between a new textbook and new video instruction. I've heard the same rumor and am really hoping it's true. My kids love Mr. Harmon.

This deal is tempting me. IF you have used any of their science classes, can you please give me feedback on them. I have never used a standard textbook for science, and the thought of using one is not something I am eager to do. I just remember how boring they were from my schooling experience. However, I've heard great things about BJU's science and Mrs. Vick.

If I were to purchase this online class, and did not like the textbook (or my son), would we be able to just watch Mrs. Vick teach and it make sense to him? I always want a fallback plan in case things don't work, plus this is a bad time to be shelling out the money.;)

Thanks all,

Alison

Link is working now.

Our favorite teachers:

Mrs. Genco (Algebra 1 and Geometry)

Mr. Harmon (Chemistry)

Mrs. Saldivar (Spanish 2 & 3)

Mrs. Vick for any subject! :)

I agree with all these, except Mrs. Salvidar, who we've never had.

You never know who your kids are going to like. When I was previewing the classes for this year, Mr. Swingle (new geography teacher) seemed so dry to me. DS, however, thinks he's great. And that's what matters, right? :)

We did BJU DVDs for:

---U.S. History (Mrs. Vick???) - LOVED IT

---Chemistry (Mr. Harmon) - Kids liked Harmon; overall it was good because it got us thru a hard subject in a way that let me off the hook. We did all the labs, usually the video instructor explained the set up of the lab & then it was done alone at home. And afterwards, video discussed the lab.

---Geometry - (Dr. Conn) - Good instruction. Our next favorite after U.S. History.

---Gr. 11 English/2nd Sem: American Lit - So/so. The Am Lit seemed a bit dry; it was a newer, very young teacher. She seemed to love literature, but I think we were in a bit over our heads. We would have been better off with 11th grade English & 9th gr. Lit - but of course that option wasn't available.

That year was my first year teaching 5 children at once and I needed the DVD help to get thru the high schooling. Trying to do 4 subjects was prob. 1-2 too many. Caveat: it was easy for my ADHD kids to tune out the video instructor. Sci & math are 45min videos. English and History were 30min. videos.

Lisaj, mom to 5

You never know who your kids are going to like. When I was previewing the classes for this year, Mr. Swingle (new geography teacher) seemed so dry to me. DS, however, thinks he's great. And that's what matters, right? :)

:iagree:

He teaches World History, too.

My daughter had Mrs. Moon for Cultural Geography and enjoyed the class and the teacher.

Thanks for the info on Geometry. I am just thinking that MAYBE it would be better to have a "live (ish)" teacher teach this subject. Does anyone know anything about the Bio class/teacher?? He's already doing Chem this year in co-op and I bought most of Science Shepherd, but know I can sell that back. He loved Mrs. Vick for Life and Mr. Harmon for Chem...is it Mr. Harmon still? I thought I read it was someone else.

Such decisions!

Thanks for the info on Geometry. I am just thinking that MAYBE it would be better to have a "live (ish)" teacher teach this subject. Does anyone know anything about the Bio class/teacher?? He's already doing Chem this year in co-op and I bought most of Science Shepherd, but know I can sell that back. He loved Mrs. Vick for Life and Mr. Harmon for Chem...is it Mr. Harmon still? I thought I read it was someone else.

Such decisions!

(He is only a few months into it.) Ds says that it's a good class. Miss Lacy is energetic and knowledgeable about the subject. Some parts are tough (perhaps the nature of Biology), but Miss Lacy certainly makes it more manageable.

So, ds gives it :thumbup:.

HTH!

Just a heads up: like the OP said, the online access really does end in Dec 2012, and there is no recourse for extending it.

If you sign up in the late spring/early summer, your online access extends for 18 months, thru Dec 31st of the following year.

The CS rep said that Physics w/ Mr. Harmon *might* be available for the 2013-2014 school year, but there is no guarantee.

So, the timeframe is December 2011 to December 2012; i.e. one year to finish the course. Correct?

Yes. It might work out just fine for some, but for anyone thinking that they'd get it now and wait to start in Fall 2012, then have a normal school year, it could be a problem.

I wish we could take advantage of it, but there is no way ds can do Span2 until he finishes Span1, and rushing a dyslexic kid through a foreign language is not a bright idea.

I'm wanting to do the science 7.

Mrs. Vick is a phenomenal teacher, as she teaches the material with clarity and enthusiasm. She's very organized with the assignments, and she also teaches study skills (very helpful for middle school). I can't recommend her classes highly enough!

HTH.

I am seriously considering BJUP Distance Learning for my dd who will be in 9th grade next year. I would like to know how long do the actual videos take each day to watch them. I have been looking around on BJ's website but can't find how long each video is. I don't want my daughter sitting in front of the computer all day. I like the idea of having a "teacher". I think she will really benefit from it. We are currently using BJUP for History and Bible. She could really benefit from the videos for History.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

I am seriously considering BJUP Distance Learning for my dd who will be in 9th grade next year. I would like to know how long do the actual videos take each day to watch them. I have been looking around on BJ's website but can't find how long each video is. I don't want my daughter sitting in front of the computer all day. I like the idea of having a "teacher". I think she will really benefit from it. We are currently using BJUP for History and Bible. She could really benefit from the videos for History.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

Math, Science, and Foreign Language are 45 minutes.

Writing/Grammar/Literature and Geography are 30 minutes.

Bible is 15 minutes.

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_9th-Grade____559564

Scroll down to Distance Learning Subject Kits and click on Learn More next to the subject.

We use only up to three of the distance learning courses. We're only using Chemistry and United States History this year.

Edited by ccm

Thanks,

Elise in NC

I wanted to point out something about the new Geography class. They have a new format where the class is divided into sections. After each section, they are supposed to consult some student pages. Sometimes there are questions to answer/think about. Sometimes there's a short activity or a section to look at in the textbook. They can really add time to the class. However, they are optional and can easily be skipped. Just an FYI. My DS doesn't do them.

Mrs. Vick is a phenomenal teacher, as she teaches the material with clarity and enthusiasm. She's very organized with the assignments, and she also teaches study skills (very helpful for middle school). I can't recommend her classes highly enough!

HTH.

In what classes does Mrs. Vick teach study skills? And how much does she do that?

Lisa j, mom to 5

We use only up to three of the distance learning courses

Did you buy the entire grade or only 2 or 3 courses? It seems to me that it will be much cheaper for me to buy the entire grade for $899 rather than buy the classes I want. Even though I am planning on purchasing the entire 9th grade my dd will still use TT for math and possibly CLE for English.

Does anyone else do that?

Thanks,

Elise in NC

I wanted to point out something about the new Geography class. They have a new format where the class is divided into sections. After each section, they are supposed to consult some student pages. Sometimes there are questions to answer/think about. Sometimes there's a short activity or a section to look at in the textbook. They can really add time to the class. However, they are optional and can easily be skipped. Just an FYI. My DS doesn't do them.

That is very good to know. I tend to feel guilty if we don't do everything. I don't want to bog my daughter down and make her feel really discouraged and frustrated. I guess we will find out what we can cut out or tweak to make it work for us.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

Did you buy the entire grade or only 2 or 3 courses? It seems to me that it will be much cheaper for me to buy the entire grade for $899 rather than buy the classes I want. Even though I am planning on purchasing the entire 9th grade my dd will still use TT for math and possibly CLE for English.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

I lease the entire grade. In ninth grade, we used Cultural Geography (with Mrs. Moon), English, and Spanish 1. I should have used BJU Algebra 1 with Mrs. Genco but used VideoText instead. In retrospect, I should have dropped VT when we encountered troubles. Live and learn. She had Apologia Physical Science the previous year, so Apologia Biology was taken at co-op.

For tenth grade, we used Geometry with Mrs. Genco, English, and Spanish 2.

This year: Chemistry with Mr. Harmon and United States History with Mrs. Vick. My dd may run through some of the Spanish 3 if time permits.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

Yes. We don't do their writing/grammar program. Once you plan on doing 3 classes, it makes more sense to get the whole grade, even if you don't use it all. Don't forget you get all the textbooks, which you can then sell. If you don't use them, you can sell them as "new" and get a bit more for them.

or if you would like to get free shipping year round, I can offer you any BJU products year round. Please feel free to email or send me a private message.

Who teaches the English and Science for 8th grade? Are there any reviews on them as a teacher? I ask because dd did Chalkdust Math for a while and she HATED it. She said the teacher was so dry and boring it was a fight to get her to do it.

Who teaches the English and Science for 8th grade?

Mrs. Vick ~ Writing and Grammar

Miss Pringle ~ Literature (sample video at bjupress.com: http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/videos/08/excursions-literature-2011.mov)

Mrs. Vick ~ Science

Mrs. Vick is excellent: I don't know anything about Miss Pringle.

I wanted to add that full-grade online/DVD kits may also substitute subjects up or down 1 or 2 grade levels in grades 1-6 and 7-12 (respectively). Maximum of 2 subject substitutions.

Also, the DVD lease Terms and Conditions Agreement states that BJU Press permits the use of the DVD content by multiple children within your immediate family at no additional charge. So, I suppose it would be possible to have, for example, Algebra 1 for one child and Chemistry for an older child.

Edited by ccm
added link

• 2 months later...

" wanted to add that full-grade online/DVD kits may also substitute subjects up or down 1 or 2 grade levels in grades 1-6 and 7-12 (respectively). Maximum of 2 subject substitutions.

Also, the DVD lease Terms and Conditions Agreement states that BJU Press permits the use of the DVD content by multiple children within your immediate family at no additional charge. So, I suppose it would be possible to have, for example, Algebra 1 for one child and Chemistry for an older child. "

And this is the only way I am able to afford to use BJU distance learning. I use three subjects for my oldest child, one subject for all (bible) and two subjects for my next child. I would be happy to help any of you with further questions. To my knowledge, there are a few new classes being offered next fall for some of the aforementioned classes.

Thanks,

Pam

• 4 months later...