Menu

What do to after 100 EZ lessons?

Guest overseasmommy

Guest overseasmommy

My son and I are almost finished with How to teach your child to read in 100 EZ lessons. What should we do next? I realize lots of practice reading, but what kind of instruction? I have heard that the Ordinary Parents' Guide is a great resource - is it worth doing if after we finish 100 EZ lessons? Obviously skipping the parts at the beginning that he already knows. Thanks for your help.

We didn't use 100 EZ Lessons but we used ClickNKid Phonics which is 100 phonics lessons online so I assume it is similar.

By the time my each of my kids was done with ClickNKids, we just did phonics/ early readers and Starfall - checked out TONS of stuff from the library. It wasn't long before they were reading independently

Each of my kids has been in a different place when they "finished" 100EZ. (Weird, but true.) My latest is almost done (Lesson 84!! :w00t::hurray:) and we will transition to "spelling" with Spell to Write and Read (SWR) which reinforces/teaches 70 basic phonograms and lots of spelling rules.

I have a set of basic readers (like Bob books, but something I picked up from my SIL who is a teacher) that the first two kids went through & we'll probably do those on the side as well.

We tried the list in the back of 100EZ and neither of my first two could read them "well."

I'd look into continuing phonics instruction (Saxon Phonics, Abeka Phonics, Memoria Press's or CLE's reading program, etc.) or transition to spelling (AAS, Phonics Road, WRTR, SWR).

Good luck!

I checked out Phonics Pathways from the library and went quickly through it with my children just to make sure they knew their phonics well. If I found areas that they didn't know well, we practiced those. OPGTR would probably work for this purpose also.

I used the book list at the back of the book to get my children started reading "real" books." I first used Dr. Seuss, then books such as Frog and Toad, Little Bear, Dragon such as "A Friend for Dragon," Mr. Putter and Tabby, Henry and Mudge, Nate the Great. After that, the kids were at about the 1st-2nd grade reading level.

**After 100EZ, don't forget to continue to have your kids keep practicing how to sound out new words (in the 100EZ blending style) and to ask comprehension questions. With my first child, I wasn't asking the comprehension questions, and a some point I realized that he needed extra work in this area.