Menu

Are less people sending Christmas cards these days?

It used to be that all December we'd receive 3-5 cards per day. Now we only get maybe 20 cards total.

I always send cards every yr, so it's not that. I figure with the economy, plus more contact by email, etc., maybe people just aren't doing it as much. Has anyone else noticed a reduction?

It's such a fun tradition, and we love seeing people's picture cards, etc-I hope it doesn't fall by the wayside!

We haven't even been able to scrounge up enough for a Christmas tree yet. :glare: So we definitely passed on Christmas cards this year. Sadly, its just not something I can justify spending on right now. Every little bit counts....

I definitely notice a reduction in them all around though. I have gotten 1 so far. Yes- ONE.

It used to be that all December we'd receive 3-5 cards per day. Now we only get maybe 20 cards total.

I always send cards every yr, so it's not that. I figure with the economy, plus more contact by email, etc., maybe people just aren't doing it as much. Has anyone else noticed a reduction?

It's such a fun tradition, and we love seeing people's picture cards, etc-I hope it doesn't fall by the wayside!

Yes! I used to get 50. Now I get 10 from businesses and maybe one personal card!

It makes me sad. We used to tape them all on a door when I was growing up and now I like to tape them around a door frame. Hardly get any anymore. I do still send them. My niece said mine is the only card she gets!

We used to get a ton of them and now we get about 5 before I send mine out and then we'll get a bunch of them. I don't know if people send them late or are just sending me one because I sent them one. I couldn't wait to have kids to send out cute Christmas cards and now I feel like it's a waste of time. :(

I've definitely gotten fewer cards in recent years. I don't mind it so much, especially if the card was basically generic and just signed. It seems kinda pointless in that case and a waste of paper. I love getting photo cards though, especially from people I don't see often. I'm considering sending a photo card this year but the only good picture I can think of shows some serious cleavage on me from my sister's wedding. It really is a great family photo though, if you cover up my chest! :lol:

I think so; I can't tell you how many people tell me they don't do cards anymore.

We love receiving them and sending them is hard for me to let go of, but I'm considering limiting our list to family and very close friends.

Yes. We definitely get fewer. I still send cards - dh actually gets photo cards made free every year, but I think I'd still send them even he didn't.

We get a couple of Christmas cards by email - I don't really mind it so much and just print off the cards myself. I keep all the cards - particularly photo cards and Christmas letters. Each year's worth is kept in a page protector or two in a big 3-ringed binder. I consider it my own personal way of keeping record of history. :)

• 7 months later...

Because spammer guy there bumped the post!~

ETA: Spam has been deleted, but the thread is officially bumped now!

Why are we talking about this on the hottest day of the year?
Edited by DawnM

I used to send out ~50 cards a year, mostly to relatives who live far away or friends who had moved. I always sent photo cards, because I loved getting them when I was a kid.

Between the ever-increasing cost of postage, and the fact that so many people are online and we keep up via blogs or FB, I quit Christmas cards cold turkey three or four years ago. I still feel a bit guilty about that, but I wouldn't change back either.

Yea! Christmas in July. I got to the point of sending out too many cards, so the year we told everyone I was expecting I decided to wait till the day after Christmas and e-mail everyone with wishing them a Merry Christmas and sharing the news. We didn't want to let the cat out of the bag before we told our families on Christmas Day. Since then most of my Christmas greetings go out over e-mail and I send pictures with them. We do still have some who either aren't hooked up to the computer or I don't have their e-mail address, I still send them cards and try to print up some wallets to put in them. It has greatly simplified Christmas Cards for me and I think most people enjoy the e-mails.

Yes, it's definitely gone down. I do receive some Christmas letters with pictures through email and print them out (I save Christmas cards and letters each year in a binder page protector. Sort of a way to keep history.)

We still send cards with a short Christmas letter - dh gets photo cards/envelopes free from a vendor each year, so all we do is take our family picture with a digital camera, design the card, and pay for stamps.

We only give Christmas cards to immediate family with their gifts. That's it. We stopped the tradition a long time ago.

My mil sends 80+ cards each year so nearly $40.00 in postage plus the cost of the cards! She feels obligated to keep up with all of these people that she hasn't seen in 50 years and otherwise has no contact with...sheesh...that's a lot of money.

We gave it up because of the "newletter" thing. Dh's family, friends from college, etc. all considered this the time to one up each other and the newletters kept getting more and more ridiculous. On top of that, since so many people are anti-homeschooling, we couldn't in turn say one dad gum thing about our own kids because people would respond back with "ugly" remarks about them being homeschooled. When we moved here, we stopped - most of these people were not sent the address either. I could never see the point of making and buying cards in order to just sign our names and mail them.

But, we tend to be non-traditionalists.

I got after my mom about her Christmas card list last year. Because of their business, she was sending out to customers, business associates, you name it on top of family and "friends". Crazy! It was going to be the cost of printing postcards for the business for 300 + people and then cards for 90 personal/family/friends greetings plus all of the postage!!!! I said mom, "The business is struggling. You and dad are taking a piddly amount of money out of this for a combined 120 hr. per week effort. Seriously, you need to save the money. I just about bet the customers don't care and some of the family members really just do.not.care.about.you. Let it go." Thankfully, she did.

I think that we'll see that since there haven't been any significant improvements in the economy this year, more people will cut back on that. This of course hurts the post office, but it just can't be helped.

Faith

we should do a Christmas card swap here. I love sending out and receiving Christmas cards, but I agree, not enough people do it!

ETA: The cards I send out, and like receiving the most, are the family picture cards. :)

I always love the picture cards too and have decided for the first time in my adult life to send cards this year. I've even started getting my list together of who to send to and trying to get some good family pics together to put on the card. Guess it's typical that when I start doing something it's ten years out of date. :lol:

We gave it up because of the "newletter" thing. Dh's family, friends from college, etc. all considered this the time to one up each other and the newletters kept getting more and more ridiculous. On top of that, since so many people are anti-homeschooling, we couldn't in turn say one dad gum thing about our own kids because people would respond back with "ugly" remarks about them being homeschooled. When we moved here, we stopped - most of these people were not sent the address either. I could never see the point of making and buying cards in order to just sign our names and mail them.

I sent out a fun Christmas newsletter a few years ago that began by saying our oldest dd had been accepted into a prestigious medical school, son would be attending MIT, and the homeschooling kids were busy composing sonatas, isolating the DNA of rare species, and building replicas of the world's greatest architectural marvels in the backyard using paper clips and super glue. Oh, and dh and I had been sunning ourselves on the white sands of a Caribbean beach.

Then I said, do you want to know what we've REALLY been doing? A fun spoof on the Braggy Christmas Newsletter.

Funny thing was, I had a few people going...believing my outlandish tale until they read further. ;)

Edited by PrairieMom
typo

I sent out a fun Christmas newsletter a few years ago that began by saying our oldest dd had been accepted into a prestigious medical school, son would be attending MIT, and the homeschooling kids were busy composing sonatas, isolating the DNA of rare species, and building replicas of the world's greatest architectural marvels in the backyard using paper clips and super glue. Oh, and dh and I had been sunning ourselves on the white sands of a Caribbean beach.

Then I said, do you want to know what we've REALLY been doing? A fun spoof on the Braggy Christmas Newsletter.

Funny thing was, I had a few people going...believing my outlandish tale until they read further. ;)

*tucking this away for future use*

LOL!!

people tend to over schedule, so yes, fewer people are sending fewer cards. businesses seem to have taken up the slack .. . .

eta: my sil has gone to e-mail for her newsletter because people she doesn't hear from all year, still want to be on her list and the costs were starting to kill her ample budget. she has sent out e-mails asking people she never hears from if they still want to be on her list. she hears from every single one "YES!!!!! don't you dare drop me!". :eek:(first she went to church bulletin blanks to cut costs, then she went e-mail to dump the postage.). It is not braggy - (sometimes self-deprecating). It is truly hysterical family antics that happend in the last year (e.g. the year a bat got in their house in the middle of the night and they tried to get it out!) always look forward to it. there have even been a few people I've wanted to forward it on to as an example of "how" to write a christmas newsletter.:toetap05:

Edited by gardenmom5