Menu

PG + Aspburger's

2smartones

My friend's daughter was dx with Aspburgers a few years ago, and this week, she found out the girl is also PG (they always told her the daughter was LD, but in her heart, she knew the girl was very bright). I've found a few things on Hoagies, but really, I can't find anything that specifically talks about Aspbergers in PG kids. Can someone point me in the right direction? Any information and/or advocacy resources would be great. The girl is in PS. She's 10.

My son has high functioning autism and is PG as well. He was actually identified as gifted several years ago but not diagnosed with autism till this year. We homeschool in large part because ps was a cruel place to be as a PG socially awkward child.

I have found a lot of helpful information on the sites linked and we are joining a local group for 2E families.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man that girl needs to homeschool. Just my opinion of course.

I have two PG/Aspie daughters so I know how difficult it is for them to sit through a day in public school. Homeschooling has changed my oldest daughter's life, and I truly believe her life would have been ruined if she would have had to endure public school. My youngest has been homeschooled since the beginning.

The problem is, not only is PS an inappropriate fit for a child multiple grades above level, but it is also an inappropriate fit for a child who struggles socially and can become overwhelmed easily. The teachers and other kids will quickly pigeonhole the child and judge the child as either a problem or strange, which can last their entire childhood if not caught quickly. IMO of course. Again, homeschooling changed my daughter's life.

Another great book is called Genius Denied, which is written by Jan and Bob Davidson. My oldest daughter was one of the children mentioned in one of the spotlights in the book. It is a great book for families dealing with a PG child that also has a special need, such as Asperger's.