Menu

I'm disappointed in Lively Latin/Need Latin Curr. for 3rd grader

Alicia64

This has been my first experience not liking a curriculum recommended in the Well Trained Mind. I like every other rec. SWB has made.

But Lively Latin for 8 year olds?? No. Plus I know 9-, 10, 11- and a 12-year old who aren't digging it either. Now, in fairness, those kids aren't getting much parent help, but still.

My "gifted" 8-year-old is doing Lively Latin, but even he is complaining about it. My other 8 year old is literally in tears when we sit down to do a work sheet.

We did Song School Latin last year -- now obviously that's a very gentle intro. I don't want anything that gentle. I want some meat, but meat that's appropriate to 8-year-olds.

Can you recommend the Latin you're using for that age?

I really appreciate any help!!!

Alley

My 6 year old loves Lively Latin, but my older wouldn't have. He liked Getting Started With Latin when he was 8, maybe you could check that out?

Halcyon: I was just reading your comments on another Latin thread. It's so interesting to me that your 6-year-old is cool with Lively Latin.

I'm not doubting you. Really. Just surprised. Your six year old has really memorized the case names? The singular and plural?

Is he now conjugating verbs?

Maybe it's just some personalities like one Latin and other personalities like another.

Bummer -- I spent money on LL as you know.

Alley

I have to be honest: all of the letters are very confusing for me! :lol:

LFC. . .I'm not sure what that is.

I'll check out Getting Started with Latin.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Minimus Latin -- Latin with a mouse??

Thank you so much for the help!!

Alley

I haven't started yet, but I have read through 3 different curricula this month in preparation for starting Latin in Jan.

Minimus looks awesome and fun, but it is whole to parts Latin instruction rather than parts to whole, so that might make a difference in your choice. We are going to use it as a supplement.

Won't SSL 2 be out in Jan.? It might be worth waiting for that.

My 8 yr old is doing prima Latina with DVDs. one he likes the fact there is a DVD, not just mom. We watch DVD on Monday, do workbook page tues and wed, Friday listen to pronunciation cd for vocabulary practice, we plan on continuing with Latina christinia 1 next year. This program is not flashy, but gets the job done.

I will add another vote for Latin for Children. I'm using it for my child that's working on a third grade+ level. We used SOng School Latin and then Prima Latina because we weren't quite ready for LFC when we finished SSL. I haven't looked at Lively Latin but dd enjoys the dvd's with the kids doing the chants for memorization and the little animated stories. Dd also occasionally plays the games on the website.

Is it the Latin instruction or the writing that is the problem? If it's the Latin instruction, then perhaps Getting Started with Latin would work better. However, if it is the writing, you can do most of it orally and/or you can scribe. Or is it something else altogether that is the problem but can be fixed?

We spread the first book of Lively Latin over two years (grades 2 and 3). I used the parts that worked (for example, we didn't like the history at all, so we just didn't do it) and I modified the parts that needed modifying (by doing much of the work orally).

Halcyon: I was just reading your comments on another Latin thread. It's so interesting to me that your 6-year-old is cool with Lively Latin.

I'm not doubting you. Really. Just surprised. Your six year old has really memorized the case names? The singular and plural?

We're moving slowly with Lively Latin, after starting in October. We plan to take Grades 1-2 to finish it. So far, he has learned:

1) case names

2) endings for first declension and 2nd dec

3) genders and definitions for words up through Vocab C.

4) 1st or 2nd declensions for given words and how to find the base/stem.

5) placing macrons correctly

6) four conjugations

7) personal endings of verbs

Yes, he is-we covered that in 4.3. He likes the easy going pace and the stories as well. My older prefers Henle-straightforward and no "extras" ;)

Wow, the best I can say after reading all these replies is "it must depend on the child".

My 3rd grade son really likes Lively Latin. He hated Song School Latin & Minimus to me was not worth spending the $$$ on it, given how little he learned and how much it cost. Neither of us liked Latin for Children.

Now, we are taking LL very slow - the first level will be spread out over this year and next. Some of the worksheets we do orally -he just tells me the answers. We also do the games online (we bought the book version, but that still gives you access to the online games).

Not sure if that helps. Perhaps take a break and then slow it down / do more oral? Good luck!

I'm watching this thread because we'll be starting Latin next year (3rd grade) and I haven't got a clue which program to choose. It looks like it really depends on the individual kids.

Since I know my kids and you don't, I'll need to do the picking. If I had all the programs in front of me I could probably pick out what would work best. But I've never actually seen any of these.

It seems like there are many people with this problem.

Would someone mind briefly comparing and contrasting the main Latin programs out there so those of us who don't know anything about them can figure out what will work for our individual kids? It would be a huge help and I'd be forever grateful.

Or if that's been done - a link to the thread would be quite appreciated.

Thanks!

My 8 and 9 year olds are using Visual Latin. This is our first semester with it, but it's going very well. The kids really enjoy it. It's funny, straight-forward, and open-and-go (lessons are on DVD with a cooresponding worksheet). We're adding Lingua Latina next semester for extra translations.

Melissa :)

Could you, perhaps, explain what you/he are having trouble with? If you had a better grasp of the material, do you think it might be less overwhelming for your son?

I really *don't* think that Lively Latin should be all that overwhelming for an 8yo... But maybe if I had a better grasp of what your average lesson looked like and what was causing most trouble, maybe I could offer some ways to make it more approachable?

One of my kids loves Latin for Children. The other one not so much. I have considered trying something else with her. But you know what? I really think it's just that she doesn't enjoy memory work and Latin is a lot of memorizing.

Memory work is hard for her. Math comes easily to her, she loves math puzzles, and easily blazes through things like Singapore Challenging Word problems. But when it comes to math facts, it's like pulling teeth to get her to memorize them; we've tried so many things and they seem to fall right back out of her head. She's extremely creative and loves a challenge but finds memorizing hard.

On the other hand, her brother is a much more concrete, sequential thinker and he has a photographic memory, he memorizes everything without effort. And he loves Latin.

So sometimes I wonder if Latin is just more enjoyable and understandable to a certain type of thinker, and that for other types, it might be harder, no matter what curriculum is used.

I had no previous Latin before using LL with my dc. I remember hitting a wall by the 4th chapter or so. I had to sit down and make my own study guide and think about how the magistra was presenting the lessons. After I spent some time with it, our lessons went smoothly. We are finishing the book this week in fact, after a year and a half, having started with a 9yo and an 11yo.

I wouldn't classify LL as self-teaching unless a kid was super motivated. Is your child experiencing frustration and needs some additional verbal instruction beyond reading the text?

Maybe it's just some personalities like one Latin and other personalities like another.

Bummer -- I spent money on LL as you know.

Alley

I used LL with my 7yo. He had done GWG 3 the year before and did MCT Island level at the same time. The background in English grammar really helped and I remember that the MCT materials really seemed to reinforce what we were learning in LL. We used LL over two years.

I am also not a fan of Minimus. I agree that the whole to parts method of instruction do not appeal to me. And it is written for Latin teachers. If you don't know much (or any) Latin it might be hard to create a lesson out of it. I always think there should be 'more' to Minimus. I can't imagine it lasting a whole school year by itself. But, I have never really tried to implement it so maybe I am not seeing something. I do own it. But, I just couldn't find the instruction or support I needed.

That said, I know some folks like it very much. There is nothing 'wrong' with it. It just isn't the program for us.

Would someone mind briefly comparing and contrasting the main Latin programs out there so those of us who don't know anything about them can figure out what will work for our individual kids? It would be a huge help and I'd be forever grateful.

Or if that's been done - a link to the thread would be quite appreciated.

Thanks!

Lively Latin isn't listed, but this should help you get started.

Comparison of Latin Programs

We tried Lively Latin, but it really didn't click with us. I got Latin for Children A, and that is working out pretty well but with some tweaking. It seems like it goes too fast and doesn't have as much explanation as I would like (I am learning as I go with Latin). We don't have the dvds, just the books. So, I go through the chapter ahead of time and make up my own worksheets and what not, based on what I think I would need to do to learn the material.

The publisher's website also has a lot of worksheets and things made up by parents, and some really neat videos. Overall, this one is working the best for us, but it is NOT open and go!