Menu

Stocking stuffers- what are you putting in your kids' stockings?

$5 gift card to where?

Jar of olives wouldn't' go over at our house.

Flashlights they have, but maybe another scouting item.

Dawn

Our standby stuffers:

toothbrush

can or two of soda (a big treat for them)

jar of olives

$5 gift card

small flashlight

cool pens or pencils

I personally hate stockings! I feel like I do all this shopping, and then I have to fill the stockings, which is never cheap! This year, I was having my kids each buy gifts for each other when I had the brilliant idea - let them fill each other's stockings! I'm off the hook, stockings get filled, and it's a neat thing between the siblings. There is also a $$$ limit when I do it this way. That's what we're doing this year.

So, some of the stuff the kids picked out for each other:

Hershey's Truffles from $1 bin at Target

walkable Littlest Pet shops (2 for 1 at Toys 'r Us!)

a mini calendar

gel pens

Cars tattoos

mini puppy

Rudolph chapstick

Thomas train stickers

small Lego set

an orange

My mom always put band-aids in ours and we loved to collect band-aids, lol. I also always like school supplies, as has my son.

Our standby stuffers:

toothbrush

can or two of soda (a big treat for them)

jar of olives

$5 gift card

small flashlight

cool pens or pencils

These are great ideas. I'm thinking about putting pens in every stocking, but then I think about how they will get lost and maybe I don't want to waste my money!

Mine are also getting

good quality dog brush for their dogs

high quality dog treats for using at training classes

possibly a leash w/ 4 leaf clovers (b/c of 4H)

Dd (9)- tights

metallic thread

sewing pattern

interesting buttons

sewing scissors & other sewing do-dads

dry skin lotion w/o ingredients she is allergic to!

Ds- rolled up PJ bottoms

not sure what else, still thinking!

ETA: a mango for Ds. He loves them and I don't often buy them.

fuzzy slipper socks, he has outgrown his

Edited by shanvan

We usually theme our stockings. This year, each kid is getting:

- A couple of inexpensive DVD movies. My daughter is getting "girl power" flicks, and my son is getting action movies.

- Several packages of microwave popcorn.

- A pair of silly socks that somehow tie in with the movie theme.

- Edible treats (chocolate, gum, etc.).

- Possibly another small item or two if I can find things that work with the theme.

I always stuff a stocking for my husband, too. He's getting steampunk-inspired movies and socks and stuff this year.

I personally hate stockings! I feel like I do all this shopping, and then I have to fill the stockings, which is never cheap! This year, I was having my kids each buy gifts for each other when I had the brilliant idea - let them fill each other's stockings! I'm off the hook, stockings get filled, and it's a neat thing between the siblings.

Absolutely brilliant idea!!!!!:thumbup:

A Christmas ornament (towards their own collection for when they leave home) is always a good idea, too.

Aside from the usual candy, I also have lint brushes for the girls (we have a dog and three cats), pens, a sleep mask for SillyAutismMan (Jack Skellington found at Hot Topic), fuzzy socks, Swedish Fish, beef jerky for those who like it, a pack of small My Little Ponies for the Bronie in the house (it is a big think for the guys at ds's college :001_huh: ) a clip-on hair bow with feathers for one dd...who knows what other tiny oddments will strike my fancy in the next couple weeks. I actually enjoy finding oddments for the stockings.

My kids usually get chocolate coins and a satsuma in the toe, and sometimes nuts too. Their stockings are quite small and narrow. This year they each have a new drinks bottle and 2 little lego mini figures each, that might totally fill the stocking but if there is room ds will get an audio book and dd will get a watch. If the last two don't fit they'll be under the tree.

I really like the idea of adding foods that are normally forbidden to their stockings, I might add a can of something fizzy and some pringles with instructions that they are not for breakfast.

Edited by lailasmum

Let's see... both get the same things.

Chocolate sampler - Christmas socks - Christmas ornament - ride tickets for the boardwalk - Angry Birds stuffed animal that makes the game sounds

I probably have forgotten something in that list, but they're all stored together so they won't be forgotten when it counts. ;)

When it comes to stockings, I tend to fill them up with lots of one coveted thing they don't get the rest of the year: candies, mini-notebooks, novelty pencils office supplies (shaped erasers, barracuda sharpeners, glitzy pencils), semi-precious stones, duct tape, silly putty. This year the dollar stores had little 100 piece puzzles. I bought some of those.

Did you know you can buy Lego mini-figures in giant lots of 70 figures for $50 on Amazon?

For DS7:

Nerf ammo

Mini M&M's tube

$10 iTunes gift card

2 Clementines

Packet of cashews

A few cool erasers

Half a dozen candy kisses

Crayola Model Magic

2 Fishing lures

For DS-11 months:

Baby socks

Cute winter hat & mittens

For DH:

Steve Jobs book

2 Clementines

Nerf ammo

Packet of pistachios

Half a dozen candy kisses

2 Fishing Lures

Miles Davis CD

I have no idea what DH will put in my stocking.

I'm thinking about putting pens in every stocking, but then I think about how they will get lost and maybe I don't want to waste my money!

I always get the kids each about thirty pens each for their stockings. For the first half of the year, we can ALWAYS find a pen that works. By October, we start to feel a scarcity, so by December they're thrilled to experience an incredible abundance of pens.

This year, their "Santa" gift is going in their stockings because one is getting a camera and the other a cell phone. Besides that, it has become tradition at our house to get socks in your stocking, along with apple, banana, clementine, M&M's, gum, and whatever other small things I may have accumulated for them. If their Santa gift is a little bigger, I might put things related or part of it in the stocking - the year ds got a Wii, the remote was in his stocking.

satsuma

chocolate coins

jamba juice gift card

barnes and noble gift card

smencils

toothbrush

jar of something for on toast (dh an ds honey, dd chocolate spread)

little playmobile figures

yale tshirt for ds(he is obsessed)

Rupunzel barbi type doll for dd

1 ds game fro ds

1 leapster game for dd

It's a tradition to always get a can of pringles in the stocking around here. (Takes up lots of space and only costs a little over a buck!) Santa also leaves a box of sugar cereal with the stocking.

Kids also always get socks, underwear, gloves, toothbrush, hairbrush, batteries...and an orange.

That sounds SO practical...but we also throw in little surprises. We wrap every single little thing (except the orange)...so the fun seems to come from unwrapping, even if it is the expected underwear. And we try to fill them as much as we can, so it is bulging with little wrapped presents.

hair bows

nerf bullets

iTunes card

keychain

lacrosse balls

DVD

CD

makeup

fun pencils/pens

gum

tic tacs

Love the can of soda idea...my kids would think that was a treat, too!

Candy, that I can later steal back for myself

Pencils, to replace the 4,687 of them that have been sucked into the black hole that must exist at my house

A little money, to then demand back to pay for the overdue fines on their library books

Fast food gift cards, so that I do not feel bad for all the times I stop and buy myself overpriced coffee while telling them that we need to save money by not buying treats

Little notebooks, so that they can keep track of all my failings as a mother so that they can throw them back at me when they are older

Tis the season!

Matchbox cars

Nerf bullets

mini flashlights

small lego sets

batteries for toys under the tree

candy

toothbrush

TAPE (they always use up all my tape)

hair clasps

scarves

jewelry

funky socks (we have tile floors)

stickers

notebooks (for the girl)

post-it notes (again, because they use up all mine)

chocolate coins

crayons

For ds (9) I have....

- a secret message writing kit (pad with two pens, one that writes

and one that reveals)

- Magnetic putty...I picked it up at the science museum...it looks like

fun :)

- a Nanoblox set

- a couple of lego mini-fig guys (the ones that come individually and

you don't know what they are until you open them)

- a couple of Playmobil guys (same idea as the lego guys)

- a wind-up alien spaceship toy

- candy canes

- a chocolate orange

I really wanted to get him a wristwatch too, but couldn't find just a simple, child's analog watch anywhere. Everything for boys is either digital or has corny decorations on them.

We do a lot of the above ideas, so I won't repeat them all. :)

This year, I'm also making "candy coins" a la Martha Stewart. Essentially a roll of coins wrapped up like a piece of candy. "Bath Fizzies" - again, from Martha Stewart.

Earbuds are another staple here.

For DH, I'm making spice rubs in tubs - can't remember where this idea originated, but I saw it listed in Family Fun. I've also gotten him some wine pairing cookies and a nice bottle of wine. That's a new one for the stocking, here!

I always get the kids each about thirty pens each for their stockings. For the first half of the year, we can ALWAYS find a pen that works. By October, we start to feel a scarcity, so by December they're thrilled to experience an incredible abundance of pens.

Same here. The kid is getting All Things Pencil, as he has used up/ground into nubs/lost/broken/had stolen by the cat/lent to the cute girl at math team practice about 15,000 pencils since September. Round it out with a few pencil sharpeners, black pearl erasers, and a box of replacement compass leads, and we're set.

And some maple candy, as I'm not entirely heartless.

The boys were with me when I got about 250 pens from Staples for .25 and 250 pencils for .25. So, since they are already on the shelf I can't give them for gifts.

Stapes had a 10 pack for a penny of each and I have a teacher card so I was able to get 25 packs each.

Dawn

I always have a hard time with inexpensive stocking stuffers. And the older ds gets, the harder it gets to find him fun inexpensive things. I like the beef jerky idea. Maybe a small ($10) iTunes or Amazon gift card. That won't stuff it though. Usually I wander around a store until something hits me.

Itune cards

candy cigarettes

chewing gum (I hate chewing gum, so they rarely have it)

Those balls you put in tennis shoes to kill the smell

Chocolate santas

gift cards for Smoothie King, Subway, movies

I like the beef jerky idea!

I need more, though. I find it hard with boys this age.

-A tootsie roll bank (at Target for $1. They had Skittles banks too)

-Top Trumps: Greek Mythology

-Mastermind game in tin (from Kohl's for about $5--it will take up a lot of space)

-2 Lego mystery mini-figs

-Small lego-in-a-bag set: Kingdoms

-Manic mint Micro terrarium

I love the idea of a small can of Pringles and tape so will probably get those too.

$5 Target gift card

a candy bar

an orange

$5 Amazon gift card

flavored lip balm (yep, even for the boy: vanilla)

and probably any last minute things I come across

FWIW, I'm not going to follow the suggestions of the Best Buy commercial and fill it

with ridiculous things like a Kindle, etc. Sheesh! :D

Socks

pack of undies

apple

orange

from the American Girl store for dd9: Kit's accessory pack that we didn't get when we bought the doll a few years ago

for dd7: a set of American Girl doll earrings for her doll

a set of gel pens for their diaries

candy canes or other goodies

hair clippie things that look like they had a piece of hair dyed

nail polish pens

*** not cheap stockings this year, but we bought the A.G. stuff months ago on vacation and put up. It is more of a gift from Santa, but they are small boxes and will fit in the stockings.

For the boys...

iTunes giftcards

guitar picks

drum sticks

gloves

Chapstick

razors or blades

shave cream

body wash

aftershave

hats

For dd...

Irish music CDs (this year she is on a Liz Carrol kick)

hair pretties

rosin

body soap/lotion

lip gloss

cute little things I find

mittens

hat

It's a tradition to always get a can of pringles in the stocking around here. (Takes up lots of space and only costs a little over a buck!) Santa also leaves a box of sugar cereal with the stocking.

Love the pringles idea. We have big stockings. I sewed them when they were born and was excited for new kiddos. Now I have to fill them every year :lol: And I love the sugar cereal. Our Easter Bunny does that every year for a treat, but for some reason Santa never thought of it... duh!

Oh, I always get violet gum in my stocking! My absolute favorite!

We do many of the same things as above. So far the only departure from the norm this year is mittens/gloves for the older 2. Growing up, we had to buy a stocking stuffer for everyone and it had to cost $1 or less. Later, as we got older, we upped the price to $5 or less. We still buy stocking stuffers for everyone on my side - we often enjoy opening those more than the main gifts.

Ok I have an official list somewhere...I was on the hunt for something else, then I needed a piece of paper, so I tore a piece off my list...It spiralled downward from there.

On my non-official list that I managed to find, we are doing bags of jelly beans, maybe night lights, uh (this list is sloppy so now to switch to brain mode)...Maybe a matchbox car or two for each of them...Dagedar balls...Oh Skylander figure if I'm fortunate enough to get the starter set for them for Christmas...The baby is going to have an itty bitty stocking so we are going to give her a few baby cars and...something. :lol: Now I know the adults are each going to have a stocking and I was thinking socks and candy for them. Oh maybe socks for the children...and hats and gloves...yea, those were on the official list. *sigh* My brain doesn't like to be all organized.

As I say every year, I WILL be better prepared next year.