Menu

Can this pan be saved?

Once a pan (i.e, cake pan, cookie sheet) gets completely coated and black, is there any way to reverse that and bring it back to a normal pan? I know some consider this desirable, but I don't. My jelly roll pan is sticky and really just gross. I'm thinking of trashing it, but I wanted to see if there's any way to bring it back.

Hard method: Bar Keeper's Friend and lots of elbow grease

Easy method: Oven cleaner

I just did the oven cleaner method on a stainless steel pot this week. Take it outside, spray it well, stick it in a plastic grocery bag overnight.

I don't know what materials this will or will not work for. I've just used it on stainless steel.

Another method for stainless steel is to coat the bottom with dishwasher detergent (the powder type) and add a small amount of water. Leave to soak overnight. Then next day you should be able to scrub off the black fairly easily with a green scotch pad scrubber. I'm not sure if it would work on other types of pots.

I ran across this the other day, it's a great blog, lots of good ideas. While her cookie sheet isn't completely black as I'm picturing you are talking about, the difference is amazing.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2011/11/new-life-for-old-cookie-sheets.html

Diluted tea tree oil is what I use to clean my bathroom, and it is amazing. I hadn't thought to combine it with Dr. Bronner's, but I have some of that. I'll have to try it on my cookie sheet (which is EXACTLY the same one as in the blog and is in a similar state) and see how it works. Glad I ran across this post!

We got a Starbucks $150 coffee maker - stainless - from Goodwill. It was covered inside with a thick layer of black. We filled it with salt I think and froze it. The gunk all came out! Good as new. My hubby isn't available for me to ask if there was more to it, but we read it online if that helps.

I soak my difficult pans and drip pans in ammonia. I only throw about a cup of ammonia in the pan, but I seal it in a plastic bag overnight. If that fails I take them outside and spray with easy off. I use the kind that works on a cold oven.

It never occurred to me to run it through the self-cleaning cycle. Has anyone tried this?

A friend told me once to clean them with oven cleaner - you know that easy off spray can stuff. I haven't tried it yet, but I can see why it would work. After cleaning the pan she would wash a couple of times to remove any residue.

I can see why that would work. I may try that, though I would have to go get oven cleaner.

What is it made out from? Can you stick it in the oven and turn on the self-clean?
I don't think that would work. I can't leave my oven racks in the oven when I use self-clean, so there isn't a way to put the pan in without laying it on the element. I also have a notion this would warp the pan.

Yep. Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2011/09/my-kitchen-miracle-cleaner-part-deux.html

I tried it and it really does work. It takes some elbow grease, but it works.

I can try this today, as I do have both items.

I love WTM forums! So much more than Latin and the Iliad. :D

Update: The peroxide/baking soda did get most of the sticky off. The pan does not look like new (at all!), but I think I can tolerate it like this, at least through this Christmas' batch of food.