Menu

Waldorf--I don't get it

If you can attempt to divorce the Waldorf pedagogy from the underlying mystical-ideological agenda - a hard task to begin with, but if we toy with the idea for a second - I believe it can, indeed, be a good pedagogical fit for some types of children. The emphasis on the natural world, the close connection / mentorship with a fixed teacher during the second stage of life (ages 7 to 14), empiricism-based learning, the focus on practical skills, and a focus on experience rather than intellectualizing that experience in the earlier years, might be just what some children need.

On the other hand, the underlying principles, as anyone who has read Steiner can attest to, are absurd and problematic on multiple levels. That alone would keep me away from it.

I have a child in a Waldorf school and he and we are really loving it. Do I agree with all of it? No, but I'm more in sync with it than when my kids were in a Missouri Synod preschool, and the people were lovely there as well. I try to decide more on how I (and my kids) are actually experiencing people, teachers, etc than whether I agree with all philosophical underpinnings of things. We also have friends and family from a wide variety of belief systems, so we're fairly open to that.

I checked out some Waldorf preschools when we were at that stage and the ones I looked at were pretty hard-liner. The school we are at now (only joined in 4th grade) is lovely but doesn't seem as strict in the Waldorf way as some. I think the school experience is Waldorf, but you aren't shamed as a parent if you don't do things as they would recommend.

Things we like about it:

-- good for an active boy. They jump rope first thing before main lesson, and during the day play hard outside -- hikes, runs, capture the flag.

--heavy emphasis on arts and music and movement -- all things that make him shine with happiness. Also an emphasis on meaningful field trips and practical experiences -- he is a hands on learner.

-- it is good for him to be less plugged into media, and spend more time out of doors, and working with natural materials.

-- much more of an international feel -- studying 2 languages, teachers and students from other countries.

--nice use of festivals and seasons -- the rhythm of the year, Jewish and Christian holidays. Really a rich cultural tapestry.

Many of these things you could do at home -- I'm just impressed after many different school situations that we've experienced. He's very challenged in all the good ways.

I looked into it at first because the language. The Waldorf school near us teaches Japanese and German in elementary school. I found that impressive.

I did not like the Athropo-whatsit. I think it covers both science and religion. I didn't understand it. Even worse, I felt that if I did understand it I would not like it.

It seems like it would be a good fit for some kids, but by no means all kids. Even if their parents didn't let them watch TV or read books at a young age.

It would be interesting to take the best ideas from several philosophies and combine them. Montesswaldolfassical with a CM twist.

We are by no means true Waldorf hsers, and I honestly haven't even read Steiner, but I have been drawn to Waldorf for years because of things like these: (from Little Acorn Learning-we use their Monthly afterschool guides & try to incorporate it into our curriculum. I also really like Oak Meadow's philosophy)

But what can you do?

~ You can create a healthy rhythm to each day your children live within your home.

~ You can keep the television and radio off while you are living, loving and creating together.

~ You can choose a select few open-ended toys, a special doll and playthings made from natural materials... keeping electronic, battery operated toys and video games to a minimum - if at all.

~ You can sing and make up stories together.

~ You can do your schoolwork outside on the deck and incorporate artistic methods for practicing and learning.

~ You can focus on all you CAN provide and remember how very lucky you and your children already are.

~ You can remember that the study of Anthroposophy was never meant to be only for the rich... that anyone who longs and strives to know more about the layers of the Self and the Universe around them is welcome to seek and find their own truth REGARDLESS of the educational model they choose for their children. It is not a club. It is for all to enter...Welcome.

~ You can cherish your role as caregiver, homemaker and Your Child's Very First Teacher as a spiritual task and sacred work to be done and set a beautiful example for your children as you do so.

~ You can choose to live within this world on YOUR terms, protecting what you hold to be sacred and true for your family. It is OK to say NO to what seems the rest of the world is doing but feels wrong for you... in doing so, you set the stage for others to follow - and will soon see that there are many more parents like you than you originally thought and you will find your clan wherever you are.

~ You can take care of your own health, interests, desires and creative energies first and be whole and complete to be the amazing parent you long to be for your children.

~ You can accept the fact that we cannot create a perfect world or scenario for ourselves or our children as much as we try. This world is imperfect and so are we. BUT we can work with what we have to create a BEAUTIFUL and FULL existence while we are here. There is beauty in diversity, embrace the world for what it is.

~ You can celebrate the Festivals and Holidays with song, crafting, recipes and community... creating memories and traditions that your children will carry with them forever.

~ You can choose natural fibers when dressing your children and always remember the importance of warmth.

~ You can be an advocate for all children in your community, your school and home and speak up to help create the change you hope to see in our world.

~ You can honor your spouse and work hard on your relationship with one another to show your children how family deserves 100% of our time, commitment and attention.

~ You can slow down... pass on a few after school classes, keep your weekends open and pull out a bunch of board games or go on a hike instead.

~ You can teach your children to appreciate creativity... to use their hands even when not using them may be easier... to knit.. to sew... to cook from scratch.

~ You can keep a seasonal table in your home and encourage your children to add to it with the changing seasons and festivals.

~ You can approach learning, homework or study more holistically - practicing multiplication by using rhythm sticks or sharing fairy tales that incorporate spelling words.

~ You can encourage and inspire your children's teachers and board of education with articles, suggestions, example and ideas.

~ You can volunteer to teach your children's class how to knit.

~ You can host advent spirals, lantern walks and other celebrations for your community or school.

~ You can light a candle and say a sweet blessing at mealtimes.

~ You can have special afternoon for beeswax play, another for watercolor painting, another for baking and so on...

~ You can spend a good amount of your time outdoors with your children.

~ You can remember that the World is ultimately GOOD and seek to find the goodness in all you do and wherever you are. Look for the beauty. It is there.

We are by no means true Waldorf hsers, and I honestly haven't even read Steiner, but I have been drawn to Waldorf for years because of things like these: (from Little Acorn Learning-we use their Monthly afterschool guides & try to incorporate it into our curriculum. I also really like Oak Meadow's philosophy)

Little Acorn Learning and Oak Meadow are "Waldorf-lite" for sure. I use LAL and have for years - lots of great ideas in those monthly guides! There is a lot to like about Waldorf - I too like daily, weekly and seasonal rhythms in my home, natural toys, gentle parenting and so on.

If you haven't read Steiner it can be interesting to do so. Anthroposophy so pervasively affects the whys of Waldorf's educational philosophy that I think it is important to understand what you are getting hooked up with. Some very hardcore Waldorf/Anthroposophical groups can definitely have a cult vibe.

If you can attempt to divorce the Waldorf pedagogy from the underlying mystical-ideological agenda - a hard task to begin with, but if we toy with the idea for a second - I believe it can, indeed, be a good pedagogical fit for some types of children. The emphasis on the natural world, the close connection / mentorship with a fixed teacher during the second stage of life (ages 7 to 14), empiricism-based learning, the focus on practical skills, and a focus on experience rather than intellectualizing that experience in the earlier years, might be just what some children need.

On the other hand, the underlying principles, as anyone who has read Steiner can attest to, are absurd and problematic on multiple levels. That alone would keep me away from it.

In the end though I think it is impossible to separate them. I've heard a lot of stories about kids with problems - medical, social - being blamed for them, or for being bullied, refusing to address problems between a student and teacher. And that to me is pedagogical, it affects kids in the classrooms, and it stems directly from their philosophy.

A lot of the stuff that is considered Waldorf here, is pretty standard stuff in Germany. In regular kindergartens and schools.

:iagree: A lot of what I liked about early childhood Waldorf was just... German. Including most of the "Waldorf" holidays - St. Martin, St. Nicholas, May Day. People here think Steiner came up with it, but a lot of the stuff is just culturally German (although I guess it could be argued that perhaps Steiner heavily influenced German early childhood thought? But one would have to research which was the chicken and which the egg...)

Anyhoo, I took what I liked (we also did a once-weekly Waldorf day, first with a Waldorf teacher, later with a Waldorf-inspired curriculum to help), and left the crazy. I liked the stories, the natural toys, the arts and crafts, the circle time, but then I'd read to my kids all day at home, they knew their alphabet at 2 and were reading at 5, and I answered their science questions with science answers and not stories about Father Sun (gasp!).

The coop broke up when my oldest two were in third grade. We haven't done anything Waldorfy since - it doesn't really speak to me in the older grades.

In the end though I think it is impossible to separate them. I've heard a lot of stories about kids with problems - medical, social - being blamed for them, or for being bullied, refusing to address problems between a student and teacher. And that to me is pedagogical, it affects kids in the classrooms, and it stems directly from their philosophy.

Sure, in an institutional setting. Though theoretically, one could adopt many ideas from the Waldorf pedagogy at home without the whole context, picking and choosing.

I would never click with it intellectually, however, it does not seem to me to be an optimal way of directing intellectual development for the vast majority of children.

Little Acorn Learning and Oak Meadow are "Waldorf-lite" for sure. I use LAL and have for years - lots of great ideas in those monthly guides! There is a lot to like about Waldorf - I too like daily, weekly and seasonal rhythms in my home, natural toys, gentle parenting and so on.

If you haven't read Steiner it can be interesting to do so. Anthroposophy so pervasively affects the whys of Waldorf's educational philosophy that I think it is important to understand what you are getting hooked up with. Some very hardcore Waldorf/Anthroposophical groups can definitely have a cult vibe.

I do also agree with how they gear certain stories towards the ages of the kids, and believe in the whole "better late than early" theory. I also think introducing the 4 processes of math together makes a lot of sense, and the way they do LA. If I was a more disciplined person, as well as generally just more together, I could honestly see doing either Christopherus or Oak Meadow as my primary curriculum-or even putting together my own like A Little Gardenflower. Now, I'm just piecemeal, and fly by the seat of my pants.:001_smile:

I have a few vague memories of my mother expressing mild disapproval for Waldorf delays in math especially.

I then, as an adult, had a co-worker whose daughter (12 or so?) was in a Waldorf school, and apparently knew almost no math and had to take some test and the mother was completely stressed out by it.

I also had someone recommend I send my kids to the local Waldorf school. I assured my husband he would die if we spent that much money to have our kids dance all day long and whatever.

(And I too think the dolls are hideous. I find all the fairy stuff weird. My kids like fairy tales, but not like that.)