Menu

Preparing for HS next year.

We are just beginning our high school journey, and I have done only a little bit of planning so far, but I love Senior High: A Home-Designed Form+u+la by Barbara Shelton and I also like using Evaluating for Excellence by Teresa Moon. Over the summer my dd watched Teaching Company's "How to Become a Super Star Student" DVD. I plan to have her watch it again this summer.

Below is a post from Anna that I copied from an old TWTM thread.

***ANNA'S LIST OF HOMESCHOOL HELPS ***

I tried to organize them by categories and include ISBN's when available so you can research them at amazon. Most of them are designed to be read in bits and pieces rather than cover to cover so they are ideal for busy parents.

There are so many ways wonderful ways to do high school. Yet, many folks seem to go into panic mode when they approach these years. Much as I love TWTM in its pure form, it was too overwhelming for me to use exclusively for high school. For my family, I chose to include help from tapestryofgrace.com and IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing). There are many other available resources so if you need something to use along side of TWTM, don't be afraid to combine two or more resources to help you. TWTM police won't get you 8-)!

I could not possibly teach my kids everything there is to learn. My simplified goal has been to instill a lifelong love for learning in my kids. Honestly (and humbly), I think I have already achieved that goal so I consider anything else I accomplish from here on to be "lagniappe".

Enjoy your bigger people as they complete their journey to adulthood.

Peace,

Anna

GENERAL HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE TOPICS

*Homeschooling High School, Jeanne Gowen Dennis, ISBN: 1-932096-11-6

*Senior High: A Home-Designed FORM+U+LA, Shelton, ISBN: 1-887639-09-8. (This was challenging to navigate around so I had the binding ripped off and placed it in a binder with dividers.)

*Books by Cafi Cohen:

Homeschooling the Teen Years, ISBN:0-7615-2093-7.

And What About College?, ISBN: 0-913677-11-6.

Homeschoolers College Admissions Handbook, ISBN: 0-7615-2754-0.

*Get a Jump! What s Next After High School? A Comprehensive Guide to College Planning and Career Exploration, Thomson/Peterson s, ISBN: 0-7689-1301-2.

SPECIFIC HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE TOPICS

*The Homeschooler s Guide to Portfolios and Transcripts, Loretta Heuer, ISBN: 0028637380.

*Choosing the Right College, The Whole Truth About America s Top Schools, Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI), ISBN: 1-932236-60-0.

*How to Get Into the Top Colleges, Richard Montauk, ISBN: 0-7352-0100-5.

*College Degrees by Mail & Modem, John & Mariah Bear (1999 ed), ISBN: 28195-08007.

*Accelerated Distance Learning: The New Way to Earn Your College Degree in the Twenty-first Century, Brad Voeller, ISBN: 0-9701563-1-6.

*One Year to a College Degree: What Every College Hopes You Never Learn, ISBN: 1-56384-001-4.

CAREER PLANNING

*Discover What You re Best At, Linda Gale, ISBN: 0-684-83956-3.

*Tuning In To My Child s Future: A Road Map for Career Exploration & Success, ISBN: 0-9660694-0-4.

*But What if I Don t Want to go to College?, Harlow G. Unger, ISBN: 0-8160-3861-9.

*Walch Job Power series: Choose Your Career, Master the Job Search, Ace the Interview

STUDY SKILLS (MIDDLE SCHOOL -- COLLEGE)

*High School Level- How to Become a SuperStar Student (DVD), Teaching Co.

*How to Study Better and Faster, Walch, ISBN: 0-8251-4247-4.

*Learning to Learn: Strengthening Study Skills and Brain Power, ISBN: 0-86530-141-7.

*Master it Faster: How to learn faster, make good decisions and think creatively, ISBN: 0-905553-62-4.

*What Smart Students Know: Maximum grades, optimum learning, minimum time, ISBN: 0-517-88085-7.

*How to Study and Other Skills for Success in College, ISBN: 0-07-140607-7.

I have Edu-Track and it's made my life so much simpler as far as keeping track of grades and giving my dd a nice transcript. It will keep track of all her courses and you can submit grades. When you're ready it will print a nice professional looking transcript with all her courses on it and grades. Edu-track has 2 types of transcripts for you to choose. One that list courses by year or one that just list courses and grades. I used it for my dd college applications this year and it was great. No worrying and her GPA was already figured out for me. There are other computer software programs. I think alot of people like Homeschool Tracker and I believe you can get a free one with the basics on it so you can try it out. If you like it you can buy their premium version.