Menu

Homemade ornament ideas?

Hi, I loved this website!

http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/christmas.html

We just did the links, and my tired hubby who came for a late dinner had the energy to entertain the kiddos! with the activity. They had so much fun!

also CurrClick has a "sale" of downloadable Christmas activities...

I am not sure if altogether I payed 60c for all... but I got to use it with the little ones... not necessarily as the activity calls for... but using the cut outs, the banners, the advent like Christmas trees.

What my kids really like was putting stickers in a random page that had random numbers all around... and a big star in a corner and a manger in the other and a little verse talking about when their sky if full of stars that morning when they wake up would be Christmas...

wow, I just let them put a star sticker on the paper today onlly if they put on their pjs and get to bed... they got ready so fast!

Then there is a bunch of songs... we/I chose one song, and they kids had so much fun with that! showed their daddy their song/hand motions as he ate his supper.

overall a good day

Someone just asked today about glass balls, floor wax and glitter. Let me see if I and find it. They were lovely.

I was the one who asked today, and here is the link someone posted: http://www.inklingsandyarns.com/2011/10/christmas-ornament-with-glitter-ritz-and-floor-wax/. This is similar to another link someone posted recently, but I haven't found that one yet. If I find it, I'll post that one too.

We made very cute ornaments last year from Martha Stewart's site. Of course, I can't find a link right now. But here's what you do: grab a green pipe cleaner and thread a pretty glass bead on every half inch. Next, bend the pipe cleaner to form a trunk, then the lower branches, keep folding accordion-style and top with a star shaped button. That sounds so complicated LOL!

OOO Looky, I found a link, not from Martha Stewart but from a blogger who did the same craft. It will have to do!

I've also been known to spray paint pinecones gold and pop them on the tree. I've always wanted to dry slices of orange and hang from a pretty ribbon. *sigh* one of these years!

I made a neat ornament for each of the kids last year. They were gold wire stars as see in Family Fun Magazine (link to the ornament). I bought tiny alphabet beads and strung each child's name along the center (inside the star). There were really easy; I made half a dozen or more in just a couple of hours, tops.

OK, those are really cute! I likey!

We have made stars from wax sheets, my dd helped but it does hurt your thumbs after a bit as you use cutters to cut shapes from wax sheets

We are going to dry some oranges today and make them into ornaments with cinnamon sticks. Also we have cutters for stained glass biscuit ornaments, where you crush boiled sweets and make windows in the biscuit. We've done those a few years running. I've also made a few wire & bead stars but the price of the nice beads has meant I've only done 4 so far. The wire frames are fairly cheap though.

I wanted to do some other things but the cost of craft supplies for them is too much.

Mini Wreaths from a water bottle ring wrapped in a green pipe cleaner (chenille stem?) with a tiny bell or bow at the bottom (threaded on pipe cleaner) and piece of ribbon at the top. We hot glue a tiny cardinal or dove in the center. Super cute! I will have to find one to take a picture. This might have been where I originally got the idea. We've also made them with a long ribbon to wear as necklaces.

I've been pinning all these great ideas! We aren't going to put up a tree this year. Our Akita puppy would destroy it...

Of all the ornaments the kids have made over the years the ones I have really loved are the ones withtheir hand prints on them.

One is a clear ball with gold handprint and gold ribbon, name and year is on it also.

The other is a regular colored christmas bulb with their finger prints in white that are made into a snowman family.

One year when my kids were smallish we had a really bad bug going through the house the week before Christmas--the kind that brings the house to a standstill. I bought each one a small tree for their room and gathered up lots of craft stuff: felt, glitter, little craft sticks, pipe cleaners, shiny fabric, little wooden balls, etc for those who were well enough to make ornaments with.

I kept it on the kitchen table since we weren't doing regular meals and those who were well enough could go to it. We added to the ornaments for a year or two and now everyone has a box of little ornaments from when they were small.

Wooden soldiers:

Take an old fashioned clothespin,

paint the ball top flesh colored with two black dots for eyes

paint the top half under the ball red for the chest,

paint the split bottom half blue for the legs,

with white, paint a belt around the middle between the red and blue, and paint a white X over the red chest,

with yellow, paint a small square belt buckle, on the belt, over the split legs,

glue a black pom pom on for a hat, glue a folded ribbon on to the back of the hat.

Wala!

I have made these using pictures. At one point, I had the idea to make one each year for each child using photos from throughout the year, reserving one circle for the date - I haven't kept up with it though. I also add ribbon and beads/rhinestones/sequins to jazz them up. A sequin, etc. glued over the space where they pieces join actually helps make them a little more sturdy as well.

super cool! did you buy the buttons new or already have them? i can't find my button collection.:tongue_smilie:

We already had a bunch of buttons, a huge Ziploc bag full. As a matter of fact, we had a grand time one evening sorting the buttons by color into little bowls.

Now we're making these Christmas lanterns using jars, tissue paper, and cutout shapes from old Christmas cards. They're not tree ornaments, but you could make little tea light holders using small jars.

Cat

I baked cinnamon applesauce ornaments today (thanks for the idea). We're going to decorate them and tie on ribbons tomorrow.

That was the perfect idea for us because DD wanted cinnamon pinecones for her room but I wouldn't let her have them because I'm sensitive to fragrances. Using actual cinnamon to scent her room I CAN do.

We already had a bunch of buttons, a huge Ziploc bag full. As a matter of fact, we had a grand time one evening sorting the buttons by color into little bowls.

Now we're making these Christmas lanterns using jars, tissue paper, and cutout shapes from old Christmas cards. They're not tree ornaments, but you could make little tea light holders using small jars.

Cat

okay, now those are way awesome!!:D

thanks!

Jingle Bell Wreaths! They are really very simple, you just need jingle bells (from most craft stores), wire cut ahead of time by you, and ribbon! Maybe a glue gun, too.

http://crafts.kaboose.com/jingle-bell-wreath.html

Also, there are things on the Martha Stewart site that kids CAN do. I always check there at Christmas!

http://www.marthastewart.com/274552/beautiful-christmas-decorations/@center/307034/christmas-workshop

a number of years ago I did crystal bead icicles. start with a wire and secure a tiny bead at one end, then start stringing progressively larger beads. when I got to the largest, I would alternate the tri-beads, and then the two sizes of pinwheels between the faceted rounds ones. then secure them with a "loop" that could be used to hang an ornament hook from.

I also took spruce cones, inserted a small eye-screw into the butt-end, and sprayed them with adhesive then sprinkled them with ultra-find irridescent glitter. I always worked over paper so any over sprinkle could be reused.

I made a neat ornament for each of the kids last year. They were gold wire stars as see in Family Fun Magazine (link to the ornament). I bought tiny alphabet beads and strung each child's name along the center (inside the star). There were really easy; I made half a dozen or more in just a couple of hours, tops.

I've done these using jewel-toned glass beads randomly placed as you loop the thin wire around. The thin wire had to be more tightly wound than in the picture linked above so the beads wouldn't all slide to the bottom.