Menu

Who has experience with...existential...stuff?

I'd tell it to go away myself. I don't believe priests have special powers so having a priest come over wouldn't make me feel better.

If that didn't work I might just go with the flow. Maybe I'd set a place at the table for it. :D

I'd hope that if I was really, really nice to it, it might straighten up the house for me, and maybe do a little vacuuming and light dusting. I'd wait a while before I suggested that it start doing the laundry, though, because I wouldn't want it to get mad and turn on me. ;)

BTW, I'm just joking here, but I absolutely believe the OP, and agree with the posters who have said that just because many people have never had any experience with supernatural beings or occurrences, does not mean that these things do not exist or happen; it simply means that you have no personal knowledge of them. I don't think it's fair for anyone to call someone a liar in these types of circumstances. It is fine to say you don't believe in this sort of thing, but I don't think it's ok to act like someone is crazy because they do believe, or because they say they have experienced something "outside the norm."

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura, thank goodness you and your dear husband survived the night. I was so (not) worried about you! :D

Are you down off the ceiling yet?

Bill

I was considering offering odds that you'd pull through, but I though it might be unseemly (if not illegal).

I'm leaning toward the mouse hypothesis myself, but can't rule out exhibitions of the first signs schizophrenia :D

Sounds positively intriguing.

Sounds rather like our recent re-aloud "A Wrinkle in Time." Maybe you ought to consider a screen-play or novel? People obvious go for these kinds of stories.

I hope you get a good night's sleep!

Bill

That's what we think. But how do you really know? :D

Bill

Your repeated postings of snark really shows your lack of maturity. The old saying applies here, nothing nice to say.....

Your repeated postings of snark really shows your lack of maturity. The old saying applies here, nothing nice to say.....

I happen to think using humor to try an reassure someone that I like that they have nothing to fear from non-existent paranormal forces is a much nicer and better way to handle the situation than feeding feelings of paranoia.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I'd hope that if I was really, really nice to it, it might straighten up the house for me, and maybe do a little vacuuming and light dusting. I'd wait a while before I suggested that it start doing the laundry, though, because I wouldn't want it to get mad and turn on me. ;)

BTW, I'm just joking here, but I absolutely believe the OP, and agree with the posters who have said that just because many people have never had any experience with supernatural beings or occurrences, does not mean that these things do not exist or happen; it simply means that you have no personal knowledge of them. I don't think it's fair for anyone to call someone a liar in these types of circumstances. It is fine to say you don't believe in this sort of thing, but I don't think it's ok to act like someone is crazy because they do believe, or because they say they have experienced something "outside the norm."

I wouldn't say anyone is lying. My opinion is that people *believe* they have seen something supernatural. I personally don't believe that what they have seen or heard is supernatural.

In my experience, it is usually people who already believe in the supernatural that actually experience it, if that makes any sense.

I happen to think using humor to try an reassure someone that I like that they have nothing to fear from non-existent paranormal forces is a much nicer and better way to handle the situation than feeding feelings of paranoia.

Bill

Mocking humor is not a good way to support someone.

There are a lot of things in the universe we don't know how to explain yet.

I personally think there is a scientific explanation for pretty much everything.

It is absolutely possible for there to be weird "vibes" and for them to affect dogs, and even a person's vision, and they can be very localized...

Magnetic fields.

Scientists even think birds can actually SEE them now. All animals show signs of being affected by them. So - we're technically animals - why wouldn't we be? It is very possible that the OP's vision was affected by the same magnetic field that was spooking the dog.

Uh - it is also suggested that magnetic fields are possibly the underlying force being detected by dowsing rods. Magnetic fields affect electronic devices (hence some weird sounds and movements getting recorded), and human hearing.

Is it possible that it was something not explained? Sure - I'd be a bit of an egotist if I thought I knew everything about the universe there is to know. I mean - physicists are now postulating multiple universe theories and 11 dimensions. Stuff might cross over occasionally. Who knows.

I don't - however - believe that there is an evil spirit in that house. I agree with SpyCar on that - but I do believe people's experiences are real, even if the explanations are not - and so I won't poke fun.

On the other hand if he had appeared to be taking her seriously people might have considered that mocking as well. ;)

I didn't quite get the humor, but I don't get the impression Laura was crushed by it.

Yea, because Laura and I are pals and she did ask for "reasonable insight" ;) :D

Bill

I didn't quite get the humor, but I don't get the impression Laura was crushed by it.

Nope, not at all crushed, lol.

I do want to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts (from both sides - it is what I asked for) - I really do appreciate it, and I appreciate you all (or I wouldn't have come here with my...conundrum).

On the other hand if he had appeared to be taking her seriously people might have considered that mocking as well. ;)

Being a more serious person, I certainly didn't understand the humor in his responses, but everyone's different. For example, would SpyCar see the humor in me asking if he homeschools now? Now remember, I'm just being humorous. :tongue_smilie:

Being a more serious person, I certainly didn't understand the humor in his responses, but everyone's different. For example, would SpyCar see the humor in me asking if he homeschools now? Now remember, I'm just being humorous. :tongue_smilie:

Do you and he have that kind of teasing relationship, as he and Laura do?

Rosie

The point is that while the OP may have seen the humor in the posts they were read by the board (writ large) many of whom do believe in ghosts.

Suggesting that those who believe in ghosts either used LSD in school or are borderline schizophrenics is not funny. Nor is if funny to those who have family members who suffer from mental issues.

Elizabeth in MN made a comment that is based on her beliefs and the response was mocking.

A teasing relationship that includes comments of this type is perhaps best confined to PMs.

Okay, here is the vague situation; someone came to visit someone who lives in my house who is not related to us (but who has lived here for many years). When this person came over, dh noticed...shadows...swift, and fleeting, but there none the less (three in all, in different places within view of the visitor), and it kind of freaked him out (okay, "kind of" a lot). In later conversations with the visitor, he discovered this person "sees" things (she used a different name for the "things" she sees).

My dh is not a "ghost hunter" sort of fellow. He is not crazy, nor is he paranoid.

Our house is kind of a sprawling place. Our dogs tend to stay in our area of the house. Our lab, who is a...sensitive...sort of girl (see this post about her), was allowed to explore areas of the house usually not allowed to her tonight. She played along while sniffing out things, until she came to two of the areas where dh said he saw these odd shadows that gave him the creeps. When she approached them, it was gingerly, nose ahead - but she immediately came running back to me with her tail between her legs and refused to get any closer. This was in two different areas of the house - the third area where dh saw the "shadows" was beyond one of the other two areas, where the dog wasn't even willing to pass.

Kinda freaked out. If you have any knowledge or experience with strange things of this sort, please let me know - pm me if you'd like to. Dh was sufficiently freaked out before the dog's part in the whole thing (I mean, goosebumps, unease, generally not good feelings), but now with Rosie's reaction to the same areas...I don't know. I really just don't know. There is more to the story, but I'm not feeling comfy putting it out here on a public forum, kwim?

I'm not new here, for anyone who may not know me. I'm not cracked and not paranoid and the people who know me IRL call me Miss Logical and think I'm a smarta$$ stick in the mud. I'm just curious about this possible situation and know you all are an enlightened bunch who can offer some reasonable insight.

TIA

Humans are amphibians - half spirit and half animal. As spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time.

C. S. Lewis

DH likes to refer to the above quotation when there seems to be something really quirky going on.

FWIW, the two most detailed and credible ghost stories I've heard were from two of the most sober friends I have. One was a professional librarian, who spent months living in a rental with her family. Most of the family experienced various sounds, feelings and senses of unease. However, it was months before they mentioned it to each other.

The other is a journalist. She told me stories of her sorority house, which had had a death. The room was no longer used as a dorm, but was used for furniture storage. Yet you could hear things moving in the room on the other side of the wall when it was locked up.

I don't remember what your leanings are spiritually. When I've felt particularly spooked, I've made a specific point of praying and dedicating my family and home to God.

The point is that while the OP may have seen the humor in the posts they were read by the board (writ large) many of whom do believe in ghosts.

Suggesting that those who believe in ghosts either used LSD in school or are borderline schizophrenics is not funny. Nor is if funny to those who have family members who suffer from mental issues.

Elizabeth in MN made a comment that is based on her beliefs and the response was mocking.

A teasing relationship that includes comments of this type is perhaps best confined to PMs.

I did see the humor of those posts, and they did not upset me - I got it, however over the line the may have been at times (coughcoughbillcoughcough;)) I also want to make it known that I do feel that something...else...is going on with this situation, and I am truly grateful to all who put themselves out here to give me advice - I am finding it very helpful in deciding what to do (both those through PMs and those who responded here).

This is a touchy subject; I understand that. I get the "chill out" posts, I get the "get real" posts, I get the dowsing posts, and I get the "call a priest" posts. I plan to do all of them.

The diverse opinions and views are what makes me appreciate you all so. I also want to express my thanks to you all for not getting the thread shut down (;)), because I really wanted your advice.

Dunno. Make a poll? :tongue_smilie:

While that idea is rather intriguing, I would rather suggest that we all deserve the same relationship with SpyCar that the OP allegedly has. They are the 1%, and it isn't fair that the 99% of the rest of us (who haven't worked for that teasing relationship) are gyped out of experiencing it.

I now LOVE humor.

I did see the humor of those posts, and they did not upset me - I got it, however over the line the may have been at times (coughcoughbillcoughcough;)) I also want to make it known that I do feel that something...else...is going on with this situation, and I am truly grateful to all who put themselves out here to give me advice - I am finding it very helpful in deciding what to do (both those through PMs and those who responded here).

This is a touchy subject; I understand that. I get the "chill out" posts, I get the "get real" posts, I get the dowsing posts, and I get the "call a priest" posts. I plan to do all of them.

The diverse opinions and views are what makes me appreciate you all so. I also want to express my thanks to you all for not getting the thread shut down (;)), because I really wanted your advice.

I'm glad you're finding some help and hopefully peace of mind from the the various posts and PMs. I don't read the thread as anyone being cross with you for starting and furthering the discussion. I hope you and your family are finding comfort while you deal with all of this.

While I am a firm believer in laughter being the best medicine, I do think some of the "humor" in this thread is misplaced in such a large public setting and may be limiting some of the responses and discussion. For those board members who believe or who have loved ones that suffer from drug addiction or mental illness, the "jokes" were highly inappropriate.

It isn't a big shock that some people disregard superstitious beliefs, especially people are are self-proclaimed atheists and unbelievers on all levels.

Personally, I believe there are things that we cannot know or see. I can't see atoms, but I am sure they exist. I have have never been to New Zealand, but I take the lovely Rosie's word that she lives there.

Priests don't have "special" powers, but they are trained in the Latin Rite. Which is why they are the only ones that can do a successful exorcism.

I am curious about this. Why does it have to be the Latin Rite? DO demons only speak Latin? I realize that sounds kind of snarky but it isn't meant that way at all. I really am curious and just can't think of a better way to ask this right now. :confused:

Normally I would say to ignore it and it'll go away. However, you said shadows and that could mean Shadow People. They are actually evil. Call your pastor/priest for a blessing ASAP. Don't try doing it yourself, or just reading from the Bible/praying. This needs the big guns. No, you don't need to leave the house tonight and stay at a hotel, but get on this now.

What the heck are shadow people? Googling right now but will probably get a better answer here.

I am curious about this. Why does it have to be the Latin Rite? DO demons only speak Latin? I realize that sounds kind of snarky but it isn't meant that way at all. I really am curious and just can't think of a better way to ask this right now. :confused:

I'm genuinely curious too. When we were having issues I considered calling a Catholic priest because I thought they would be likely to believe me and have experience which would be more likely to make them successful in helping us.

While that idea is rather intriguing, I would rather suggest that we all deserve the same relationship with SpyCar that the OP allegedly has. They are the 1%, and it isn't fair that the 99% of the rest of us (who haven't worked for that teasing relationship) are gyped out of experiencing it.

I now LOVE humor.

Are teasing relationships taxable?

Personally, I believe there are things that we cannot know or see. I can't see atoms, but I am sure they exist. I have have never been to New Zealand, but I take the lovely Rosie's word that she lives there.

Make a liar out of me. :glare:

(Assuming I'm the lovely one, and you're not talking about the other Rosie around here. I thought she was American. :D) Edited by Rosie_0801

I'm genuinely curious too. When we were having issues I considered calling a Catholic priest because I thought they would be likely to believe me and have experience which would be more likely to make them successful in helping us.

well most of the Christian's that have participated in this thread left after the snark started

I am protestant and we believe that any born again Christian can "call-out" demonic spirits. This is not something done lightly it is done with great prayer and fasting. I don't know how the Catholic faith teaches but they may consider their church leaders the only one that can do this

maybe you will get other Christian to chime in

well most of the Christian's that have participated in this thread left after the snark started

I am protestant and we believe that any born again Christian can "call-out" demonic spirits. This is not something done lightly it is done with great prayer and fasting. I don't know how the Catholic faith teaches but they may consider their church leaders the only one that can do this

maybe you will get other Christian to chime in

I think what she was saying (when she responded to my comment) was that it's the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church that are instructed in this, as compared to the Byzantine Rite or some other Rite in the Catholic Church (in other words, she was only speaking about how it works IN the Catholic Church). I first took her as saying that only Latin Rite priests compared to ALL other Christians and Faiths, but I believe I took her wrong at first.

Australia, New Zealand...pretty much the same thing, right? :D

Bill

You can't insult an Aussie that way, but wait until the New Zealanders catch up with you! :eek: Mrs Mungo will hear the slap from her black hole! (Dramatic address, btw. I like it, hehehe)

:p

Rosie

Honestly, all this stuff usually has a rational explanation. Just because you haven't found it yet, doesn't mean there's no explanation or that it's supernatural. I'm not saying you or your dh didn't get weird feelings, just that the likelihood of them being from ghosts or demons is, well, nil. Me too. Without the "but".

:iagree: I, too, assumed the thread title was referring to existential philosophy.

Whoever stated that visual hallucinations can be a symptom of schizophrenia is spot on; a relative truly believed that black "shadow balls" were flying and hovering around the room prior to her schizophrenia diagnosis. Of course, there could be other natural explanations besides mental illness.

Someone said they could hear voices on their baby monitor. Baby monitors are two way radios; in late 80s and early 90s our monitor would pick up remote phone conversations of neighbors.

DH and I were watching a movie the other night where a girl was possessed by demons and were also curious as to why only Catholic people become possessed in movies...or maybe they just know to call a Catholic priest when something like that happens?

My DH saw something once many years ago in an old inn turned restaurant where he used to work. The inn was built back in Revolutionary War times and is supposedly one of the oldest continuously running establishments. The inn is said to be haunted but he didn't believe in any of that and often joked about it. Late at night while counting money to close the registers, he says he saw a light come down the stairs, hover at the bottom of the stairs, then swish back up. No cars around...it was 2am and the inn is in a very country location. He would never close up by himself again.

My middle ds when he was 3yo, once told us he had a dream of the woman who used to live in our home (there had been an animal-loving widow who died in our home many years before we purchased it....she fell through the ice into the lake during the winter and got pneumonia but we didn't know this until after ds's story) and said she told him he could use Bobo's house. We had no idea what he was talking about but the next fall while clearing leaves in the yard, we decided to put some of them into the woods next to the house and my husband walked the boys further into the woods just to look around and found an old dog house with Bobo painted on the front. It was a little weird. Another time around the same age he was sitting, seemingly awake in the middle of his bed and when I went in to check him, he kept crying about the "people" who were touching his toys in the corner of the room and didn't I see them "right there". It creeped me out so I scooped him up and took him into my bed. He never did anything like that after those two incidences and doesn't even remember them now.

Maybe there are ration explanations for all those things. I don't think I can believe in ghosts unless I see one for myself though. I tend to think there are other explanations even if I don't know them...though just thinking about the experiences with my ds back then still give me the shivers.

I'm agreeing with Imp. Get a priest or someone and get the house cleansed and blessed.

Are they in the yellow pages? Exactly how would you go about getting a house cleansed? I don't not believe, or believe, but I find the experiences interesting. My SIL who is a scientist and very rational swears they have a ghost in her house. I personally find the idea intriguing, I figure if the dead wouldn't hurt you while you are alive, why would they hurt you when you are dead, so why get rid of them? Seriously curious.