Menu

Who has experience with...existential...stuff?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Specialmama and others, if you don't mind me asking, what do these evil "things" do with their evilness? seek to possess a person? I can't come up with anything else. (I am not a believer in ghosts; spirits are another matter)

In addition to what Specialmama said, I do also believe they want to possess people. As just a spirit, they cannot do nearly as much as they could do if they could influence someone with a physical body.

I have experienced some strange things, especially a the house of a friend. Her house always had a wierd vibe. She was just renting it and it was recently built so theoretically shouln't have had ghosties/spirits of previous occupiers but who know what that land had experienced.

We dowsed her house and found areas of all I can explain as wierd sticky air, they formed lines through the house. When dowsing they would pull the pendulum out at wierd angles. I had only recently started dowsing so it was a very wierd thing to feel.

She managed to clear the house with Reiki (she was a practitioner) and placed large quartz crystals in the problem areas. It didn't change overnight though but gradually over a few weeks with repeated cleansing.

I don't really know what we experienced or what to think of it all but it was enough to make me realise we don't understand everything.

I think it would be good to find a reiki practitioner and see if they can help. Ideally through recommendation from someone.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I have read the thread several times and wanted to say exactly this but just couldn't figure out how to put into word.

I will even more to those that think we are crazy;)

I would speak this out loud Satan I command you to leave as a child of God covered by the shed blood of Jesus you have no authority here.

I don't know if the OP is a Christian if she is not she really needs to take what has been posted and really seek the truth

:iagree: with both of these!

FWIW, I AM a devout, practicing Catholic and my husband and I had bought our first house in NC. It was beautiful. Our dream house. We moved there from RI, 785 miles. A few months after moving in some weird things started happening. We would hear talking on the baby monitor at night in our oldest son's room. We would hear odd noises all the time, knocking on walls and such. We dismissed it all. One night as I was walking from the kitchen to the living room I was shoved from behind. I was the only one up, everyone else was asleep. I woke my husband up and told him what happened, I was hysterical. He heard some things with me that night and held me on the couch. Things escalated and we ended up having to abandon our home and move back to RI and rent. These things are REAL. Don't play around with it. Get your house blessed. I don't know what people did in the house we had before buying it, but it was bad enough there for us to just leave it and go.

I was expecting a thread on Jean-Paul Sartre or Søren Kierkegaard, or somethin :D

Don't get all freaked out, there is no such thing as ghosts.

Bill

That's what I thought when I first saw the thread's title. :D

Did anyone else used to watch Unsolved Mysteries? I absolutely loved that show, especially the ones about poltergeists! So interesting.

Come to think of it, we used to rent a townhome that had a really bad-feeling bedroom. One of my son's got it, and he heard things in there at night. We eventually moved him out of there. None of us liked being in the room. Very freaky.

Mommaduck, Fort Sheridan is north of Chicago about 20-25 miles or so. Many of the old military buildings were rehabbed into nice homes. It'd be interesting to hear if anyone in those homes has had problems.

Well, first of all, know that my family is not religious. We're all atheists in this house. We're also not superstitious.

I have seen shadows and routinely find things in very odd places (where I KNOW I did not leave them). When I was a child I did see something extremely unsettling.

If I had any bad feelings toward something I saw in my home, I would have DH call the local priest (he was raised Catholic and the rest of my family shares that religion) and the native American healer/shaman/whatever it is (he knows the word for it but I can't remember) from his grandmother's tribe. After all, I don't believe their blessings would harm me.

And I would not allow that person who seemed to bring them back inside my house. I would attempt to keep them off my property.

Southern Illinois is known for being in a triangle area of the strange. (not sure where Ft Sheridan was in IL though)

Ft Sheridan is north of Chicago. Most of it is abandoned. It's an old post.

Edited by starrbuck12

Geeze, Bill! I get what you are saying - really I do - but this situation is really odd. Actually, I've gotten some very thoughtful advice and I'm grateful to those who have taken the time to offer it; it's why I came here with the situation.

Maybe Bill did too much LSD in college. ;)

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I have read the thread several times and wanted to say exactly this but just couldn't figure out how to put into word.

I will even more to those that think we are crazy;)

I would speak this out loud Satan I command you to leave as a child of God covered by the shed blood of Jesus you have no authority here.

I don't know if the OP is a Christian if she is not she really needs to take what has been posted and really seek the truth

:iagree:

I don't have any special knowledge or experience. But if it was me, I would follow some Feng Shui guidelines for those spaces - set up some living plants, mirrors, chimes or hanging bells, try to get some natural light in there, arrange the furniture according to Feng Shui, and play some lovely music in those spaces - get some good energy flowing through there - and burn a candle in there a few minutes each day. I would also order (or purchase if you have a local store) some sage bundles and smudge through your house daily for a while. And if you have shop that sells crystals and stones, I would go pick out an assortment of some that have a nice feeling, and set a few of them in those areas in a glass or clay dish.

I'd tell it to go away myself. I don't believe priests have special powers so having a priest come over wouldn't make me feel better.

If that didn't work I might just go with the flow. Maybe I'd set a place at the table for it. :D

Priests don't have "special" powers, but they are trained in the Latin Rite. Which is why they are the only ones that can do a successful exorcism.

I totally believe you.

I also think that it could be eye floaters--I see shadows sometimes that dart away, but I have these. Your dog could have been picking up on your vibe--even if we don't realize it, they are experts at picking up extremely subtle physical cues and scent cues we give off.

Not saying demons and such aren't real. NOT saying that at all. Just offering.

That said, I'd still gather a couple strong Christians, perhaps your pastor or priest, put on the Holy Armor, and annoint your doorways and pray scripture over your home.

Expect repurcussions. Not something to mess with lightly. I personally wouldn't smudge or use anything New Agey or Old Agey (LOL) besides the Christian stuff. ITA that this sort of freaky-deaky is used to draw us away from Jesus Christ, so I wouldn't use any other technique, myself. YMMV.

I'd tell it to go away myself. I don't believe priests have special powers so having a priest come over wouldn't make me feel better.

If that didn't work I might just go with the flow. Maybe I'd set a place at the table for it. :D

Those that suggest that a priest or medicine man be called don't believe they have "special powers". They have a certain blessing and authority. They hold a certain position where this is part of the duties of that position. It's a responsibility.

Orthodox priests bless every home in the Church every January, whenever a new home is bought or moved into, or if there are "issues".

I object to the idea that only RC priests are able to do a successful exorcism.

Edited by mommaduck

Sorry I just don't believe that. So one needs to say a special combination of words and all that? Seems so silly.

I'm not calling your feelings silly Laura. It doesn't matter if there is anything there or not. What matters is that you are spooked by something so you should do whatever you gotta do to feel better about it.

I know. And *I'm* not silly (well, not really), and neither is dh. Last week I would agree with you. This week...I just don't know.

Maybe you should tell that woman to come back and reclaim her "friend".

See, that's where the story gets too detailed for me to post here. To be honest, I'm pretty sure she knows. I also think most of her family knows (at least some of them do). At any rate, she's coming back to visit again tomorrow.

If it were me personally I'd call in an expert. I know in the RC chruch there are priests trained to handle situations like this. More than just the parish priest blessing the house. There is usually at least one per diocese depending on size.

You don't want to do anything inadvertently to make the situation worse. Saying the wrong thing at the wrong time could do just that. If you are not comfortable with a Catholic priest, perhaps an Orthodox priest or a Shaman could be found.

I know you said you are formerly Catholic, but I thought I'd pass along that St. Benedict is a good choice for intercession in these matters if you feel the need.

See, that's where the story gets too detailed for me to post here. To be honest, I'm pretty sure she knows. I also think most of her family knows (at least some of them do). At any rate, she's coming back to visit again tomorrow.

i am so with bill on all of this.

but

given your experience, and your dh's, she would not be coming back into my home. whatever the source of the experience, it did not leave you feeling at ease. that is enough for me.

scott peck's "people of the lie" is a good read, and he does deal with Evil possession in the second half of it. i really can't follow him there, but it gave me a new appreciation and understanding for how folks can. and i have been known to "pray the holy" into places that feel "off".... i think it is more setting my own consciousness at ease in a place by filling it with positive memories than anything else, but that counts too. (fwiw, i'm all for placibos because they often work).

so i'd pray up a storm, use sage and not let her come back. i'm curious; given how you both feel, and that it was unsettling enough for you to post here, why would you have her back? it is your home. yes, your friend has lived with you for years. they can meet her elsewhere. if that doesn't work for them, they can move.

really.

:grouphug:

ann

Hmm. One more thing about the dog that dh just pointed out to me - we have had three dogs in the 12 years we have lived here. She is the only one who has never gone into that area of the house. Since she was a puppy, she refuses to enter those spaces, and when she gets near, she acts all freaky. The others just happily run around, but not her. Ever.

Those that suggest that a priest or medicine man be called don't believe they have "special powers". They have a certain blessing and authority. They hold a certain position where this is part of the duties of that position. It's a responsibility.

Orthodox priests bless every home in the Church every January, whenever a new home is bought or moved into, or if there are "issues".

I object to the idea that only RC priests are able to do a successful exorcism.

I meant that the Catholic RITE of exorcism can only be performed by Catholic priests. I'm sure there are other exorcisms done, but only priests can cast out a demon of his own authority as a Vicar of Christ.

e says what he saw was a flash, small and near the floor...super fast. Three times. He feels like whatever he saw might have been just following her around. He's pretty convinced something very wrong happened there, and it wasn't headlights or any other trick of the eye.

Laura, I totally believe in ghosts (though I feel pretty skeptical about demons), but it might also be a good idea for him to see a doctor. I'm not suggesting he's crazy, but seizures can be like that - having a random burst of fear - and seizures can be caused by blood sugar issues. There would probably be other symptoms, but there might not be.

Satan and his minions cannot stay if you command them to go in the name of Jesus. Rebuke them. They must leave.

Yup. Anyone with faith in Christ can... but it takes lots of faith, and can become a battle if you're not strong enough. I've been there. As a Christian. And it took every ounce of my being to come up with enough faith... mind you, I was battling the head honcho, not his minions. Scripturally, anyone with faith in Christ can do this, be it yourself, a relative, a friend, a pastor, etc. Pray about this, Laura. By delving into any other method apart from Christ, you're opening the door wider. :grouphug:

i'm curious; given how you both feel, and that it was unsettling enough for you to post here, why would you have her back? it is your home. yes, your friend has lived with you for years. they can meet her elsewhere. if that doesn't work for them, they can move.

really.

ann

Well, that is a complicated part. Without going into too much detail, he is a...client, I suppose. We can't suggest his family not visit him. Or to leave their baggage at the door :tongue_smilie:.

Well, that is a complicated part. Without going into too much detail, he is a...client, I suppose. We can't suggest his family not visit him. Or to leave their baggage at the door :tongue_smilie:.

It would really help us to give you advice if we knew a little more about the situation. Is this visitor a medium? A witch? A devil worshiper?

It would really help us to give you advice if we knew a little more about the situation. Is this visitor a medium? A witch? A devil worshiper?

That's another complicated question I can't answer in detail here. No, she's definitely not a devil worshiper - she's extremely religious.

Sorry I just don't believe that. So one needs to say a special combination of words and all that?

:iagree:Honestly, all this stuff usually has a rational explanation. Just because you haven't found it yet, doesn't mean there's no explanation or that it's supernatural. I'm not saying you or your dh didn't get weird feelings, just that the likelihood of them being from ghosts or demons is, well, nil.

i am so with bill on all of this.

but

Me too. Without the "but".

Since there has been talk of priests and exorcisms, I just want to recommend a book that I have mentioned on here before: The Rite: the Making of a Modern Exorcist, by Mike Baglio, a journalist who followed an American Catholic priest who underwent extensive training on exorcisms in Rome. The priest was skeptical at first, as most of us would be, but the description of his training and his use of that training is fascinating. The book is quite fair in its treatment of the Catholic Church, the priest and the subject of possession. (FTR, I am not Catholic.)

Terri

:iagree:Honestly, all this stuff usually has a rational explanation. Just because you haven't found it yet, doesn't mean there's no explanation or that it's supernatural. I'm not saying you or your dh didn't get weird feelings, just that the likelihood of them being from ghosts or demons is, well, nil.

Me too. Without the "but".

As I tell my husband, who does not believe a word of my family's "ghost" story- Just because you don't believe it, or have never experienced it, doesn't mean it's not real.

That's not much of an argument though. I could say that about anything.

Something undoubtedly happened. It doesn't mean it was a ghost/demon/supernatural being. Why jump to the least likely conclusion first?

In case you didn't read one of my responses further up, I was SHOVED. From behind when everyone was asleep. What natural things shoved me in the middle of the room? I know what I felt, it sent my flying a couple of steps.

Yep. It could be something like blood sugar issues, vision issues, anxiety, etc. I've seen shadows. I've done double takes because I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I don't think all that much of it.

I'm surprised that so few people considered that angle even if they do believe in demons/ghosts/etc.

Even if you believe in ghosts, etc, could there not be a different explanation? I don't see why people are automatically jumping to something supernatural.

I've had plenty of weird things happen to me that I couldn't explain. I don't assume that because I cannot explain them that the cause is supernatural. Maybe it is, but I have no reason to believe it is just because I can't explain it.

Even if you believe in ghosts, etc, could there not be a different explanation? I don't see why people are automatically jumping to something supernatural.

I can't explain it. It was weird/creepy. I don't understand it.

Those do not automatically mean it must be supernatural.

There are other possible explanations. You could have had a very quick vasovagal episode (basically a fainting spell).

I've had plenty of weird things happen to me that I couldn't explain. I don't assume that because I cannot explain them that the cause is supernatural. Maybe it is, but I have no reason to believe it is just because I can't explain it.

Once in first grade I blacked out on the playground. I fell on the ground. I thought I had been pushed. I also thought I had been laying on the ground for hours (when in fact it was a matter of seconds). I never forgot it. I doubt a demon pushed me though.

When I was about 10 or 11, I was riding in the backseat of a car at night. I saw the image of a demon in the front windshield. I sat there, freaked out, staring at the thing for about 10 minutes before I realized that it was just a reflection of the ashes in the dashboard ashtray! :lol:

I always remember that "incident" whenever I see something odd that I think can't be explained. There's always been a logical explanation.

Laura, thank goodness you and your dear husband survived the night. I was so (not) worried about you! :D

Are you down off the ceiling yet?

Bill

Bill, I really expect better from you. You don't have to be so disrespectful. Why not keep quiet if you can't express your opinion without mocking others' beliefs?

Edited by Nakia

Laura, thank goodness you and your dear husband survived the night. I was so (not) worried about you! :D

Are you down off the ceiling yet?

Bill

I'm really not sure we were ever quite "on" the ceiling. And I'm pretty glad we survived the night, too :tongue_smilie:.

Really, I can't imagine any logical individual just "jumps" to possibilities such as this first off. Nearly every other realistic, physical possibility is considered before someone begins to consider something else. At least, that is what happened here. At any rate, neither dh nor I is "convinced" of anything, it's just that there are a lot of unanswered questions and some things make more sense than others, but unfortunately I really can't share the whole story here (which stinks because I think it would be helpful information for those of you who are offering your thoughts and advice).

The sister of the visitor visted today. She is a medium. No, really - talk about weird experiences. And she knows what's going on w/her sister. And she's really concerned about her.

Yep. It could be something like blood sugar issues, vision issues, anxiety, etc. I've seen shadows. I've done double takes because I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I don't think all that much of it.

I'm surprised that so few people considered that angle even if they do believe in demons/ghosts/etc.

Yes, this. I'm thinking high blood pressure though.

I'm really not sure we were ever quite "on" the ceiling. And I'm pretty glad we survived the night, too :tongue_smilie:.

I was considering offering odds that you'd pull through, but I though it might be unseemly (if not illegal).

Really, I can't imagine any logical individual just "jumps" to possibilities such as this first off. Nearly every other realistic, physical possibility is considered before someone begins to consider something else. At least, that is what happened here.

I'm leaning toward the mouse hypothesis myself, but can't rule out exhibitions of the first signs schizophrenia :D

At any rate, neither dh nor I is "convinced" of anything, it's just that there are a lot of unanswered questions and some things make more sense than others, but unfortunately I really can't share the whole story here (which stinks because I think it would be helpful information for those of you who are offering your thoughts and advice).

Sounds positively intriguing.

The sister of the visitor visted today. She is a medium. No, really - talk about weird experiences. And she knows what's going on w/her sister. And she's really concerned about her.

Sounds rather like our recent re-aloud "A Wrinkle in Time." Maybe you ought to consider a screen-play or novel? People obvious go for these kinds of stories.

I hope you get a good night's sleep!

Bill

Get the house cleansed.

I have friend-most normal people you've ever met-meaning they are 100% stable, their daughter is in Pace law school right now, stable people. They can tell you freaking crazy stories about their house. Chairs being dragged across the kitchen, cabinets being opened.

I pmmed you

Yep. It could be something like blood sugar issues, vision issues, anxiety, etc. I've seen shadows. I've done double takes because I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye.

:iagree: If you already knew something was going on with this woman or found her odd, normal tricks of the eye could seem sinister. As for the dog, you wrote that it's not usually allowed in that area of the house. That might be enough to weird it out and have it running back. I would assume a natural explanation.

However, if the same thing happened at my house and was distressing a family member, I would do whatever eased that distress.