Menu

How Do You Choose a Doctor?

Today I've been diagnosed with breast cancer. Sigh. We've caught it early. It's the less aggressive type lobular, but it's still cancer. Ugh.

The radiologist recommends one doctor.

My gyn is new to the area. She recommends another doctor.

They practice at different hospitals which may make a difference to me.

Ugh. How do I evaluate and decide?

If you've got a spare prayer to offer, I'd appreciate it!

:grouphug::grouphug:

If I were completely unaware of the resources, I'd call the oncology ward and try to get a charge nurse who will whisper into the phone which surgeon has the best hands (least complication/infection rate) for breasts, and the best oncologist.

Do you know any nurses?

If I were completely unaware of the resources, I'd call the oncology ward and try to get a charge nurse who will whisper into the phone which surgeon has the best hands (least complication/infection rate) for breasts, and the best oncologist.

Do you know any nurses?

:iagree:Exactly what I'd suggest....and hugs! :grouphug:

Good advice. Thanks!

Thank you for the hugs and prayers, too. This is no fun.

Also, advice I've heard is to choose a good surgeon and then just take his/her hand and close your eyes. Even if there is one surgery that 51% of studies show is 0.1% more effective than another surgery, if the surgeon is expert at that second surgery, go for it.

And, if you get a very polite surgeon who gives you a zillion options, ask him/her what s/he'd have his/her sister do.

:grouphug: and HTH.

Do you know any nurses?

:grouphug: and :iagree:

Is there a breast cancer support group in your area? I bet that both hospitals have one. If you could visit, I imagine individuals would be happy to share their experiences (though most support groups won't say anything official about docs.)

Don't be afraid to interview doctors. You want someone that you are comfortable with and trust. Ask if you can come in and just talk to the doctors that have been recommend. Then you can make a decision yourself.

And :grouphug: to you. I'm glad you caught it early!

:grouphug:

No advice here, I'm so sorry.

I do remember that when my mother needed an oncologist, I called the National Cancer Institute (1 800 4 CANCER). They sent me the regular info they have, plus a lot of print outs of specific trials. You may lean towards a certain type of treatment and then select a doctor who does that treatment.

We were lucky that my mother had a wonderful primary, who gave good advice about choosing oncologists. Nevertheless, we did interview several and decided partly on personality (warm vs cold).

One mistake we made was not revisiting the primary often enough during the treatment. It seemed as thought the oncologists worried mostly about the cancer, but the side effects (not necessarily serious, but bothersome) were not his primary concern.

Another opinion -- we were happy with a top rated community hospital, rather than the "best" cancer center. (My mother did not have anything rare or unusual.) Sounds counter-intuitive, perhaps. But I remember a radiation tech telling me that, at the community hospital, people were talking pleasantly as they waited; in the cancer center, the atmosphere was one of deep gloom.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Talk to anybody and everybody you may know that has had cancer or knows somebody treated in your community. Ask how things went.

I know my MIL loved her oncologist and surgeon but when she went to get radiation treatment the person was closer than the other options and she wasn't willing to explore them. After watching his treatment of her when my mom had to go she went and interviewed him and chose to go elsewhere driving an hour or more out of her way. Mostly it was his bedside manner and lack of compassion.

Be sure to ask about lymphodema if you are having any lymph nodes removed. And how they treat it. They should teach you massage and fit you for a sleeve after they reduce the swelling not before.

See if there are any trials/studies being done and if you qualify for them. My mom participated in one where they were checking testing to see who needed radiation. She figured if she had to go through it she might as well benefit others and future generations.

Ask other doctors and nurses. I can't tell you how many of my friends ask have asked who we use for other specialties. ( dh is a surgeon) Nurses have the inside scoop as well. Anyone at your church or in your neighborhood who has gone through this ( I can think of at least 10 here. ) Ask them.

Oh adding one more thing about choosing a hospital (if you are lucky enough to have a choice). One thing I have l learned to ask is how much operating cash they have on hand -- it's not the actual amount that matters, but how many days of operation they could last with the cash on hand. A hospital that is running out of money often has some staff unrest. I also like to know how long the nursing staff has been there -- not sure exactly what number to ask for. But a place whose staff stays is usually better than a place whose staff is revolving. (Stats would probably vary, community hospital vs teaching hospital, so you want to make sure that you are comparing apples & apples, so to speak.)

How far away is the major cancer hospital in your area? Call them asap! They were great about getting me in and they had great people to talk with the newly diagnosed. You really want to treat cancer right the first time, and breast cancer (especially in young women--how old are you?) is nothing to monkey around with, whether or not it looks like it was caught early. And the best way to make sure it is treated well is to drive a little ways and go to a major cancer hospital.

Send me a PM if you want more info...also the Young Survival Coalition is a great source of information for women under 40 diagnosed with breast cancer. breastcancer.org is great too...

Prayers for you...

Today I've been diagnosed with breast cancer. Sigh. We've caught it early. It's the less aggressive type lobular, but it's still cancer. Ugh.

The radiologist recommends one doctor.

My gyn is new to the area. She recommends another doctor.

They practice at different hospitals which may make a difference to me.

Ugh. How do I evaluate and decide?

If you've got a spare prayer to offer, I'd appreciate it!

:grouphug::grouphug: My best recommendations come from the technicians, nurses, and switchboard operators. They really know.

Praying for you.

More tips:

Go somewhere where they have a "tumor board." Breast cancer involves not just one doctor, but many: surgeon, medical oncologist (chemo), radiation oncologist, plastic surgeon, radiology. You want them to talk to each other and decide what the best course of treatment is. Otherwise what the general surgeon does might affect the course of treatment or the plastic surgery might get ruined by the radiation oncologist. A tumor board is standard in major cancer hospitals.

I see you are in Texas. How far away is MD Anderson? At least consult them for another opinion.

My experience with the major cancer center was not at all gloomy. I loved the nurses and everyone really cared. And the medical oncologist definitely cared about the side effects and helped me deal with them. That was a major part of their role.

I feel strongly about this because the place you choose for treatment affects what happens down the road. It's definitely better to hit cancer hard the first time, than to not and later wish you did.

Edited by Sara R

Praying for you.

I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 17 so my dad ended up finding a doctor and he went around asking the doctors he liked which was the best doctor for my cancer in the area. The guy was about 75 years old and had the bedside manner that you'd expect from a retired military doctor that old BUT he was an awesome doctor. He knew what he was doing and got me fixed up. After that I didn't care as much for beside manner and more about experience.

I am so sorry.