Menu

Ordering Question for MCT Town Users

Spy Car

This is mostly a bump, because while I own Grammar Town, I have not used it yet. I have used Grammar Island and Grammar Voyage, and in my experience the student books are superfluous (a word from CE2).

Uh oh. Now you have me thinking I meant Grammar Voyage. That's the one with the TM and the Student book in the "basic home-school package" right?

Please pardon my confusion. It has been a long day :D

Bill

We used Grammar Town a few years ago. So, to ask a really stupid question, which would you buy - the Student Book or the TM? Because often the TM's have the answers written in it. Not for every book in the series, though, so perhaps the previous poster who owns it but hasn't used it can tell you if the answers are written in it. One thing I loved about MCT is the "snuggle up on the couch" factor, and if you are snuggling up to the TM instead of the student book -- it kind of kills the suspense, KWIM?

Hope this helps a little bit.

Julie

We used Grammar Town a few years ago. So, to ask a really stupid question, which would you buy - the Student Book or the TM? Because often the TM's have the answers written in it. Not for every book in the series, though, so perhaps the previous poster who owns it but hasn't used it can tell you if the answers are written in it. One thing I loved about MCT is the "snuggle up on the couch" factor, and if you are snuggling up to the TM instead of the student book -- it kind of kills the suspense, KWIM?

Hope this helps a little bit.

Julie

I like the "snuggle on the couch" factor too. Which is why having two separate books for Grammar Island didn't please me. Especially when only a couple pages in the TM gave away the answers in the Student Book.

Juggling two books that were virtually identical aside from small notes (that my child didn't clue into in any case) and a few "solved" examples that meant grabbing the other book was not my idea of a good time.

Don't get me wrong, I love MCT. I just don't like waste.

Bill

I have only used a few components from the Town level so far, and the Grammar book is not one of them.

Looking at the books, there is usually 1 and sometimes 2 instructional boxes on almost every page of the TM, and it does detract from the clean look of the page--the font is much smaller so there is not as much white space on a page, and the notes make the pages a tad cluttered.

That being said, I'll probably just teach from them anyway because it seems so much simpler and my daughter is not easily distracted by little text boxes on the side. But, I have not actually tried it out yet, so I can't say for sure.

I purchased the 1st edition of the Island level and definitely would teach from the TM for that level, even if I had a student book.

I have only used a few components from the Town level so far, and the Grammar book is not one of them.

Looking at the books, there is usually 1 and sometimes 2 instructional boxes on almost every page of the TM, and it does detract from the clean look of the page--the font is much smaller so there is not as much white space on a page, and the notes make the pages a tad cluttered.

That being said, I'll probably just teach from them anyway because it seems so much simpler and my daughter is not easily distracted by little text boxes on the side. But, I have not actually tried it out yet, so I can't say for sure.

I purchased the 1st edition of the Island level and definitely would teach from the TM for that level, even if I had a student book.

In Island Elizabeth, there are just a few pages where the TM gives away the answers. The rest just has the little (non-distracting) text boxes. If one tries to teach without the Student book one misses the teachers notes. Using the TM a couple pages are given away. I would switch books. But it felt silly.

A big Post-It note might save the day ;)

Bill

We just finished Grammar Town and never used the Student book either. I usually just covered up the answers in the TM when necessary. That did make snuggle time more comfortable. Well, there were maybe 1-2 pages where the answer (find the preposition?) was bolded in the TM, so that was hard to cover. But otherwise, the Student book seemed a waste.

You HAVE to order Paragraph Town. I don't even care if you aren't there yet, but you HAVE to order it. ;)

Every time I read it I think, "Bill would get a kick out of this book."

I'm thinking of ordering the whole Town package (as we are almost out of sentences in Practice Island) and I don't want to "quit."

I just have not been sure about the need for the student book for Grammar Town.

I am intrigued now by Paragraph Town.

Bill