Menu

Lee Binz Website

I was browsing her website today, and she kept saying how not to be intimidated about homeschooling high school and record keeping, ie. transcripts. But then she wants you to buy all these helpful dvd's to help you. Are they necessary?

We are still unclear what my 8th grader will do next year, so I am trying to do some research. I will admit it seems a bit overwhelming.

I was able to start high school homeschooling without her stuff.

just a few short months ago, I got several of her emails for a while..... It's nice but not necessary.

Here is very similar information for free:

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/

transcripts specifically on that site linked just above

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/academics.asp#transcripts

not that hard or expensive :)

-crystal

I wanted to link to some workshops that make help a bit.... these are podcasts from the umbrella school I use.

http://homelifeacademy.podhoster.com/index.php?sid=1615&m=02&y=2009

http://homelifeacademy.podhoster.com/index.php?sid=1615&m=04&y=2011

maybe take a listen to those and hopefully something will encourage you that if you homeschool in high school, it's going to be ok.

-crystal

I was browsing her website today, and she kept saying how not to be intimidated about homeschooling high school and record keeping, ie. transcripts. But then she wants you to buy all these helpful dvd's to help you. Are they necessary?

We are still unclear what my 8th grader will do next year, so I am trying to do some research. I will admit it seems a bit overwhelming.

I first met Lee online years ago when her boys were ~middle school. She's been a wonderful encourager to me over the years, both on our shared hs email list and after she began her business.

I've bought a total of two of her products. One was a DVD about finding the right college; it was nothing new. More recently, I bought her Setting the Record Straight book and have found it very helpful.

Of course she wants you to buy her products. That's her job, her source of income. If you are in a circumstance where you need specific help, her advice can be invaluable. However, my funds are limited. I know how much she's influenced my homeschool from way before she began her business. Personally, I continue to receive her free monthly newsletter via email, and I get updates on her blog via Facebook. I believe she continues to provide these as a way to help people who otherwise would not benefit from her knowledge--just as she provides free office/phone hours each month. (I'm assuming she still does; she did for several years.)

My two favorite books for preparing to hs high school:

Cafi Cohen's book, but I can't remember if it was Homeschooling: The Teen Years or Homeschoolers' College Admission Handbook.

Senior High: A Home Designed Form+U=La. It's a crazy, unorganized mess of a book to read, but it's worth it to wade through.

The other two biggest resources are these boards, falling back to read WTM periodically, and Lee's website.

I've never felt that high school was much different than hsing the early years. The only thing I do differently is make sure dd completes whatever I feel is a year's worth of work to count as a credit, and to make sure her classes will satisfy college admission requirements.

-----------------------

I'm not receiving any benefit from Lee for posting--I'm just a long time friend and fan.:001_smile: