Menu

WWS users if you're past week 12, please help

Dd is really enjoying WWS but is struggling with week 12 day 4 for some reason. If you've done this assignment with your dc, would you mind posting what they wrote here?

My dd is feeling overwhelmed and uninspired by this assignment and would really like to read what others have done with this to help get her started. It's been 3 days of her trying to get going with it but not being able to. Thus far we've skipped it and moved on. I would really like her to attempt it but am hoping for a little help from my online friends in the trenches. :D

Pretty please. :)

Ladies, thank you! I did check the WWS samples thread and did not see any week 12 work yet. :)

I realize now that there was another thread, started by Roxy, for this very assignment but when I was initially looking I didn't know to look for a separate thread.

There seemed to be a few ladies posting on the WWS sample thread so I had hoped that there were others willing to share the week 12 day 4 assignment.

I wanted to participate and share my dd's work on the thread but she has asked me not to share her work (shhhh, don't tell her I posted her Gilgamesh story before asking her :blush: ) I'll ask her again because I think it's really great to be able to share work and learn from each other. Plus, my dd is realizing she likes to read what others have written and that perhaps they might feel the same way. ;)

The level of detail in the passages provided for the student to summarize is more difficult than those in other lessons, IMO.

This is his initial attempt - so far, it's less than 200 words, and needs additional details to fulfill the requirements outlined in the rubric. We've moved on to lesson 13, but I'm going to have him work on lesson 12-4 again this week.

WWS 12-4 Volcanoes

December 2, 2011

Volcanoes are normally shaped like mountains or hills, but in the middle of them there is an opening reaching deep into the earth. Deep in the earth below the volcano there is a huge cavern that holds a large amount of molten rock called magma. When more magma is added, or the ground around the cavern shifts, then the magma can be forced up towards the surface through the opening of the volcano in a huge explosion. Once the magma reaches the surface it is called lava and it spreads out like a rolling wave it destroys everything near the volcano. Gas, dust and particles of stone and ash shoot up from the shaft and billow out into the atmosphere like whipped cream flying out of the can.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a tough one on this end too. You revisit this on week 13 day 4, when the kids take a more personal approach to the description. This writing was much more successful on an number of levels. My DS' writing was much better. It was more engaged and even a little inspired. I would love to have him go back and do 12.4 again, or at least do a serious revision. I think that would be the best thing for him to do, but I'm going to wait a bit.

That was a tough one on this end too. You revisit this on week 13 day 4, when the kids take a more personal approach to the description. This writing was much more successful on an number of levels. My DS' writing was much better. It was more engaged and even a little inspired. I would love to have him go back and do 12.4 again, or at least do a serious revision. I think that would be the best thing for him to do, but I'm going to wait a bit.

We got it done and dd never wanted to look back. I found the same thing here- week 13, day 4 went much smoother. I suggested we go back and work on week 12, day 4 but dd was not keen on the idea. That assignment really challenged her and I think it scared her off a bit.

It took my son 2.5 hours to complete. :001_huh: He did do it on his own, and read quite a few pages of an earth science textbook to get added detail.

I find that the day 4 assignments are often very long. We have been doing day 2 and 3 on a single day, and then day 4 over 2 or even 3 days.

Ruth