Menu

Tablet question....Fire, NookColor, Nook Tablet or other

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here is a techie and can give some advice. I want a tablet to do web browsing, games and apps, and stream movies. Basically, a toy for myself and my kids. I know a regular Nook Color can do the email and web browsing, but I can't get good apps and can't view movies on netflix.

I see you can buy micro SD cards on ebay that basically enable the NC to do all this, but I wonder if it really works, and what the complaints might be. Does it make is essentially like the new Nook Tablet?

Or do I need to actually purchase a Nook Tablet?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

By the way, I do not yet have a NC but can get one used for $100. If I can get it to do videos and games, it would be a good deal for me. Trying to decide if I shoiuld do that, or save up for the Nook Tablet.

Thanks, Sparrow! So you can stream netflix? Is it possible to save a movie to watch on a road trip in the car? Also, if you care to pm me with the place you got your sd, I would be appreciative!

Yes, it streams Netflix, but streaming always requires a Wi-Fi connection, so you wouldn't be able to download and save a movie to watch. I just got my SD card from Amazon. Search for 'N2A'.

I was in Barnes and Noble the other day and I asked the lady what the difference was between the Nook color and the Nook tablet. She said the Tablet had 16 gig and the color only 8. The tablet has a dual core processor for better speed. I asked about the apps that you could get and she said it was the same as the Nook color. With that information, I would say that a rooted Nook color( or Nook color with the N2A SD card) would be able to get apps from the android market and amazon app of the day and the Tablet would not. However, that is just one sales person's answer. I have not studied the Tablet so I really do not know exactly how it works.

I follow the Customize your Nook Color on facebook and they have instructions on how to root your Nook color. They say it is not good to run android on the SD card only which is what I do. I don't know if they are right or not but they do have lots of helps on their site. http://www.rootmynook.com

Also, Nook is coming out with an update this month sometime that will enable the regular Nook Color to stream Netflix. I'm so excited about this!!

Me too! OP, you may be looking at apps other than netflix that aren't available on nook color, but netflix and hulu plus will be available soon. I love my nook color, and it isn't rooted.

Thank you guys so much! I really appreciate it! This really sweet guy sold me his NC, it looks brand new, and I am excited to get started. Despite funds being rather tight with an upcoming move and other upheaval, we went ahead with it. When I get time I will research those N2a cards more and the site that was suggested for help! THANKS!

I found this on that site referenced above, anyone have any experience? Is it really slow?

Q: Can I run a rooted OS from my SD Card?A: Yes you can. The Nook always attempts to boot from the SD card first. What this means is, you can place a rooted OS image Froyo, Gingerbread or Honeycomb on your SD card and have the Nook boot into it. Removing the SD card returns your Nook to stock.

Q: Why should I flash my internal memory if I can run a rooted Image from From the MicroSD slot.

A: SD cards have speed ratings. Most inexpensive cards you purchase at discount retailers (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Costco) are class 2. A class 6 card is recommended for running from SD. Even then your Nook will have a tendency to be laggy and respond slow. The fact of the matter is, SD cards where never made to contain Operating Systems. They are made for storage and attempting to run a device from them results in inconsistent behavior. Furthermore, the SD card images you find arent nearly as developed as the images made to run from Internal memory. Bottom line is this….running from SD is a neat feature but not something you`ll enjoy long-term.

I found this on that site referenced above, anyone have any experience? Is it really slow?

Q: Can I run a rooted OS from my SD Card?A: Yes you can. The Nook always attempts to boot from the SD card first. What this means is, you can place a rooted OS image Froyo, Gingerbread or Honeycomb on your SD card and have the Nook boot into it. Removing the SD card returns your Nook to stock.

Q: Why should I flash my internal memory if I can run a rooted Image from From the MicroSD slot.

A: SD cards have speed ratings. Most inexpensive cards you purchase at discount retailers (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Costco) are class 2. A class 6 card is recommended for running from SD. Even then your Nook will have a tendency to be laggy and respond slow. The fact of the matter is, SD cards where never made to contain Operating Systems. They are made for storage and attempting to run a device from them results in inconsistent behavior. Furthermore, the SD card images you find arent nearly as developed as the images made to run from Internal memory. Bottom line is this….running from SD is a neat feature but not something you`ll enjoy long-term.

i'm not sure if i can answer those specific questions. however, i have a nook color and it's rooted. i just purchased my SD card from rootmynook.com

it was $30 or something. it runs like an android tablet now. it's definitely fast so far - no real issues. i can't watch movies from the android market & i do not get hulu. i do have netflix though, surf the web, & i have access to all of the apps i want (android market and amazon both). also, my kids can't play webkinz or anything (but i don't think they can on an ipad either). i have access to tons though & love it. i only paid $119 for a refurbished nook from barnes and noble's ebay store. it arrived looking brand new. it still has a warranty. s&h was free. then i had to buy the card. totally worth it imho.:)

Edited by mytwomonkeys

Mytwomonkeys, were the instructions easy once you got the card? How long did it take? Do you have to have some experience with this to do it? Thanks!

KungFuPanda, I have also been considering a DS, do the DS lites have the same capability?

i'm a total ding dong when it comes to computers & i did it in a couple of minutes. honest. first, i turned the nook on and set it up. then i turned it off & inserted the SD card. it will be mailed to you like this

you stick the little piece in the back where the SD card goes (the bigger piece is if you needed to use it in a camera or something).

then, turn it back on & it will look like an android tablet!!

next, you will need to hook it up to the internet or it will not work. during the nook color set-up, you will do that as well...but i had to set up connection again after inserting the SD card... this confused me, as i thought it was broken. (btw - it's under wi-fi in systems). lastly, the keyboard was weird when i first typed on it. a pop-up came on asking about my "mode" or something like that... and i had to click on that i wanted to type in android. (that second part may not happen with you, but if it does - that's what i clicked).

after that, i was set up & it works amazingly!!!

hope this helps:)

Edited by mytwomonkeys

I am wondering if I can follow the instructions and do it myself without buying their card...just getting a blank card. Have you known anyone who did that?

there are tons of youtube tutorials out there & many websites with clear instructions (really, very clear). i found a pretty good video on youtube when typed in "netflix on nook color". you can also type in "root nook color", and there will be tons of tutorials to weed through. i've read it's nearly impossible to "brick" your nook (i.e. ruin it), so i think you'd be fine. the main thing is, be sure to research how to do it without overwriting the manufacturer settings, ykwim? otherwise you void the warranty. i like what i purchased because i can simply remove the SD card and it goes back to being my nook color, under warranty and all. i purchased one for my daughter for christmas, and i think my husband is going to try & root it himself this weekend. i can report back and tell you how it goes:)

She said the Tablet had 16 gig and the color only 8

You might want to ask a few more questions about this because a rep at B&N told me the same thing and he kept saying it over and over. I thought it was strange when I read a review on a blog:

"The Nook Tablet boasts 16GB of memory which is twice as much as the Kindle Fire. Only 1 GB of the Nook Tablet is available for non Nook purchased content. Given that Barnes and Noble does not sell audio or video content, only 1 GB is available for the non book, non magazine content and 12 GB for BN purchased content. 3 GB is for system. Thus that 16 GB of memory space is very misleading. ... Even though Nook Tablet internal memory has only 1GB, the external memory slot is meaningful if you want to add your own content."

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here is a techie and can give some advice. I want a tablet to do web browsing, games and apps, and stream movies. Basically, a toy for myself and my kids. I know a regular Nook Color can do the email and web browsing, but I can't get good apps and can't view movies on netflix.

I see you can buy micro SD cards on ebay that basically enable the NC to do all this, but I wonder if it really works, and what the complaints might be. Does it make is essentially like the new Nook Tablet?

Or do I need to actually purchase a Nook Tablet?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

By the way, I do not yet have a NC but can get one used for $100. If I can get it to do videos and games, it would be a good deal for me. Trying to decide if I shoiuld do that, or save up for the Nook Tablet.

Just posted that my Vizio 8" android tablet is the best $200 and under going!!

It is getting pretty scarce to find, Walmart, Sam's and Costco had it and I got mine on Amazon. This thing is EVERYTHING I wanted in a tablet.

I run my Nook color on SD card only. I would say it works ok. I find that "slow" is different for differnt people. For example we have dail up computer and it is slow but sometimes when we are at someone's home that has high speed and they say it is slow -- I am thinking "Are you kidding me? That's not slow.

Also since we have dial up -- I only run wifi when we are out and about -- like at the library when I can update things and sometimes it is fast and sometimes it does get stuck. I don't know whether it has to do with running on an SD card or the internet service or maybe some other odd reason. Sometimes I reboot and it is fine again. I am not a good example because we hardly ever are on the internet with the Nook. We don't have Netflix or Hulu and You Tube works sometimes.

I did buy my SD card at Wal-mart and my son figured out how to put the CM7 programming on it from reading on the computer. So it is not like the N2A SD cards that you buy already working. Just wanted to let you know that it is possible to do it that way.

I got it, and rooted it according to directions at www.rootmynook.com

SUPER easy and takes about 20 minutes for a non-techie. LOVE IT!!!

Did you root a NC or an NT.

I'm SOOO tempted to root my NT, but totally scared. I've sideloaded apps and made it "look" like a tablet instead of a Nook, but there are some things I want that seemingly can't be done without rooting.

I rooted a NC. It is amazing how much faster and how much more can be done on it. I downloaded the NOOK app, so I can still read on it as if it is a Nook. But I can also put the Kindle app on it, which I prefer (lots more freebies, and all that)

I was scared too, I have never done anything remotely tech like. NOTHING. But the folks on that site will literally walk you through it, they held my hand, I posted on their FB page asking for reassurance, confirming each step. They were AWESOME! They also assured me that it is pretty much impossible to ruin it. Plus, you can go back to stock if you want, and no one will ever know any different.

I think the NT is too new, I don't know if there are root instructions on it yet, but there WILL be very soon, I am sure! I bought the NC because I figured I could easily root it and it only cost me $100.

I would recommend you message them and ask about rooting the NT. I am sure they will help you!