Menu

I do not understand "Secret" family recipes.

My grandma shared her secret recipe for fruitcake with me. I am the only one in the family who knows it! However, none of us actually like it...heh.

I think people take recipes two ways. One is someone loves what you make so much,and it's flattering to be asked. The other is that this is your special thing and someone wants to steal your thunder.

Relatedly, people sometimes get known for a special dish. Once I made these cookiesfrom the back of the walnut bag, that were really good! I made them several times. My friend asked for the recipe, and I gladly gave it. (Did not feel like an heirloom to me.) She then made it at a gathering and was (kindly) teased by a mutual friend for bringing "my" cookies. I have a few things I make a lot, which I probably am secretive about, but the rest I don'tcare.

My grandma is very secretive with strangers, but once my mom's teacher in elementary school asked for her cake recipe and then won a contest with it! She, however, is offended when theother family members don't make her versions, exactly her way!

I don't exactly refuse to give out recipes, but I have a hard time giving someone an exact recipe for something that I made up and/or adjust as I cook. My salsa will not have the exact same thing in it every time. It depends on how strong the peppers are, what type of peppers the store had that day, how long it has to sit in my fridge to let the garlic really permeate, etc.

I think there is a difference between the need to taste something to get the proportions right (and some things do vary from batch to batch because the flavor of the ingredients varies slightly), in which case "approx" is always added, and "add ___ to taste". dh and I can use the exact same recipe, and they don't turn out the same. I've given out my exact biscut recipe and people have been frustrated because theirs didn't turn out like mine, but it's also "the touch" in how you handle the dough.

I was talking changing static amount ingredients so no-one can have "the secret family recipe", but telling them it *is* the recipe. rolls eyes.

eta: I wouldn't be able to give out my potato salad recipe - because it is one of those things where I just dump everything in the bowl until it looks right. . . . (and uses as an ingredient my grandmother's pickle recipe that came from who knows where - but they are good and very different from any you can buy in the store.)

Edited by gardenmom5

:lol::lol: Ok, Sorry ladies. Didn't even think about it when I posted that. Please understand that I haven't made wheat bread for......lets say many years now as we are gluten free. I never wrote the directions down but will do my best.

100% Whole Wheat Bread

4 Cup WWFlour

4 Cup water heated to aprox. 115-120 deg.

1/4 Cup yeast (I always used this. http://www.amazon.com/Saf-Yeast-Instant-Yeast-16-oz/dp/B0001CXUHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323129726&sr=8-1 )

Put these ingred in your mixer and mix for aprox. 1 minute then let sponge for about 10 min.

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup honey

1 1/2 T salt

8-9 cup WWFlour

Mix in first mixture and kneed with machine for about 7 min., longer if doing by hand. Dough needs to be elastic. If you over mix you kill the gluten in the product but under need and well, it is not developed enough.

I then covered and let stand for about 15-20 min, if cool it may take longer. needs to be about double. Mix down. Put in greased pans and let rise again.

I don't have it written down but I think I baked at 350 for about 45 min.

I had it down to where I could have hot fresh bread in about 90 min. from start.

It is very important that you use fresh ground flour if possible and that it is a good, hi protein berry. I would advice not ever purchasing flour that is just on the shelf. It at the very least needs to be in the refrigerator area of the health food store. It goes rancid fairly fast. I used to use Wheat Montana and it was the BEST! Never could find anything that compared. In fact my husband and I went to the facility twice and bought large amounts when I had the bakery. It was about 1200 miles round trip but I then had the berries when I needed and all in all it was cheaper than shipping.

If there is something unclear feel free to send me a pm. I am always happy to help. Just remember it has been just a while since I have used this.:D

:iagree:I love sharing recipes!! And most people usually end up giving me the credit anyway. As in, "I made YOUR sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving." Or, "My husband just loves your oatmeal cookie recipe!"

Which is so lovely, I have to bite my tongue when somebody gives me credit for something that doesn't even remotely resemble my (or, more accurately, Cooking Light's) recipe. A dear friend just proudly informed me that she made "my" apple strudel for Thanksgiving. I suppose there's no way to let her family know that, actually, my strudel contains neither chocolate chips nor frozen blueberries, and it is not drizzled with Hershey's chocolate syrup. Ah, heck. She meant to compliment me, and I have to give her credit for creativity (if not a subtle palate).

IWhy would you want to hoard good food??

So you're the only one who can make it.

I used to ask my mil for recipes, until I realized she ALWAYS left out key steps that prevented the recipe from turning out well. It happened so consistently that I finally realized it was intentional.:confused::glare: Now I'm a little older, so I can :lol:.

Thank goodness for the internet!

This seems like a lot of flour - how many loaves does it make?

:lol::lol: Ok, Sorry ladies. Didn't even think about it when I posted that. Please understand that I haven't made wheat bread for......lets say many years now as we are gluten free. I never wrote the directions down but will do my best.

100% Whole Wheat Bread

4 Cup WWFlour

4 Cup water heated to aprox. 115-120 deg.

1/4 Cup yeast (I always used this. http://www.amazon.com/Saf-Yeast-Instant-Yeast-16-oz/dp/B0001CXUHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323129726&sr=8-1 )

Put these ingred in your mixer and mix for aprox. 1 minute then let sponge for about 10 min.

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup honey

1 1/2 T salt

8-9 cup WWFlour

Mix in first mixture and kneed with machine for about 7 min., longer if doing by hand. Dough needs to be elastic. If you over mix you kill the gluten in the product but under need and well, it is not developed enough.

I then covered and let stand for about 15-20 min, if cool it may take longer. needs to be about double. Mix down. Put in greased pans and let rise again.

I don't have it written down but I think I baked at 350 for about 45 min.

I had it down to where I could have hot fresh bread in about 90 min. from start.

It is very important that you use fresh ground flour if possible and that it is a good, hi protein berry. I would advice not ever purchasing flour that is just on the shelf. It at the very least needs to be in the refrigerator area of the health food store. It goes rancid fairly fast. I used to use Wheat Montana and it was the BEST! Never could find anything that compared. In fact my husband and I went to the facility twice and bought large amounts when I had the bakery. It was about 1200 miles round trip but I then had the berries when I needed and all in all it was cheaper than shipping.

If there is something unclear feel free to send me a pm. I am always happy to help. Just remember it has been just a while since I have used this.:D

I love to cook by throwing things together in a general manner, using whatever is leftover in the fridge and whatever strikes my fancy. In our house the rule is "enjoy it now; you'll never have it again!" Folks frequently ask for a recipe and really don't want to hear that you have to start by cooking a chicken three days before, making stock with the leftovers....

Anyway, if someone insists, I will jot down an approximate recipe to the best of my recollection. Recently, at a friend's house I raved over her chilli and asked for the recipe because mine hasn't been so good lately. She fell over laughing and handed me back "my" recipe jottings from two years ago!

Which is so lovely, I have to bite my tongue when somebody gives me credit for something that doesn't even remotely resemble my (or, more accurately, Cooking Light's) recipe. A dear friend just proudly informed me that she made "my" apple strudel for Thanksgiving. I suppose there's no way to let her family know that, actually, my strudel contains neither chocolate chips nor frozen blueberries, and it is not drizzled with Hershey's chocolate syrup. Ah, heck. She meant to compliment me, and I have to give her credit for creativity (if not a subtle palate).

Oh my gosh, YES! I have a friend who does this. She has to change every recipe she ever tries. She was at my house for homemade pizza once and her kids ate it up, so she asked for the recipe, specifically saying she loved the sauce. Later I asked if she had tried the pizza at home and she said yes but that she didn't like the sauce as much as she thought she had. Well, I was surprised (because the sauce is delish, if I do say so myself!).

So, for the record, here is my recipe:

2 Tbs. olive oil

4 garlic cloves, crushed

1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes

1 tsp dry marjoram

1 tsp dry tarragon

1 tsp dry basil

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

2 tsp sugar

Heat oil over medium in saucepan. Add garlic and saute until soft. Add remaining inredients, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.

When I asked why she didn't like it, she said, "Oh, I guess I didn't like it as much as I thought I did." OK, I think. No biggie. But then she goes on to tell me that she used tomato sauce because she didn't have crushed (much thinner, not the same product at all). She didn't have any tarragon so she skipped it. She didn't have any marjoram so she substituted oregano (so not the same subtle flavor). She left out the sugar because she didn't want sweet sauce. Oh, and she was running short on time so she couldn't let it simmer long.

Come ON! You didn't make my sauce.

Oh my gosh, YES! I have a friend who does this. She has to change every recipe she ever tries. She was at my house for homemade pizza once and her kids ate it up, so she asked for the recipe, specifically saying she loved the sauce. Later I asked if she had tried the pizza at home and she said yes but that she didn't like the sauce as much as she thought she had. Well, I was surprised (because the sauce is delish, if I do say so myself!).

So, for the record, here is my recipe:

2 Tbs. olive oil

4 garlic cloves, crushed

1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes

1 tsp dry marjoram

1 tsp dry tarragon

1 tsp dry basil

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

2 tsp sugar

Heat oil over medium in saucepan. Add garlic and saute until soft. Add remaining inredients, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.

When I asked why she didn't like it, she said, "Oh, I guess I didn't like it as much as I thought I did." OK, I think. No biggie. But then she goes on to tell me that she used tomato sauce because she didn't have crushed (much thinner, not the same product at all). She didn't have any tarragon so she skipped it. She didn't have any marjoram so she substituted oregano (so not the same subtle flavor). She left out the sugar because she didn't want sweet sauce. Oh, and she was running short on time so she couldn't let it simmer long.

Come ON! You didn't make my sauce.

That's very funny. I'm going to make your sauce but I think I'll follow your recipe!

It's kind of a running joke.... I have the recipe on a card stuck to the hood over the stove:

1 1/2 t. salt

1 1/2 t. baking powder

1 T. secret ingredient

4 c. masa harina

1 1/2 c. bacon fat (yeah yeah, I know)

2 1/4 c. warm water

Mix the first four ingredients in a large bowl, add the bacon fat, then the water... and I think I always end up adding more water or chicken broth, but I go by texture at that point... Anyway the "secret ingredient".... anybody who wants to know, knows... it's a Hungarian chicken rub called "Pride of Szeged" that we found in a dusty corner of a little grocery store at the beach one year. We were very stingy with it for years thinking it was going to be hard to replace, until the local fancy-schmancy market started carrying that brand! Now the can sits on the shelf right above the recipe looking obvious.

:)

Yeah, I had a friend take a picture of her cookies she made and put them on FB and say 'Just made my famous whatever-stupid-name cookies! Yummy!"

Someone responds asking for the recipe- because DUH you just showed a photo of something yummy- and she says "No, no, no- secret family recipe ;)"

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Don't talk about it if you don't wanna share, Grinchie!

For the record, I will share any recipe, always.

I would be soooo annoyed!:glare:

This thread is cracking me up.:D

My family also makes the Libby's Pumpkin Pie.

A friend of mine has a hot fudge recipe that is AMAZING and legendary in our circle of friends, and she is very reluctant to share it. I have it under the conditions that I don't bottle it and give it away at Christmas because that is 'their thing" (understandable). . . also I'm not supposed to tell her daughter that I have it :lol:

I've always used the Libby pumpkin pie recipe, as has my mother and probably her mother. Oh, and the Fantasy Fudge recipe on the back of the marshmallow creme jar (which is back to the original after a change a few years ago).

Edited by LemonPie

Aha, sorry. I kindof expected some people to come out with similar stories, and that I'd be back sooner.

Regarding the secret ingredient in the spinach dip, it is dehydrated onion. Make your usual spinach dip but sub grated onion or finely chopped onion for dehydrated onion. You get good flavor, but none of that terrible breath. The actual recipe is:

2 c. sour cream

2 c. mayo

1 10 oz. pkg. chopped frozen spinach

1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix

1 T. dill weed

1 t. garlic salt

4 T. dried/dehydrated onion (like Lawry's best)

Sieve and pat spinach dry, make sure its chopped finely. Mix is all, add a little milk to get correct consistency.

I have several recipes of the cheese potato casserole. My mother even found the same recipe on the hash-brown bag. I make it for special family dinners, but use what I have on hand.

Hash browns (couple pkgs frozen, shredded or chunk, as you like)

1/2-1 c. shredded cheddar

1 c. sour cream

1 can cream of chicken soup

chopped onion, lots or little, chopped coarsely or finely

chunks of butter (mix it in, or melt and mix it in)

s & p

Mix it all together, bake till bubbly. My family likes it browned.

MIL puts buttered cornflake crumbs on top. Sister-in-law's mother puts toasted bread crumbs on top.

I know that chocolate fudge sauce recipe. I forgot I had it! I have a new circle of friends, since when I used to make it, so I'll just have to give it to them for Christmas now. Yes!

I did give a recipe, for my grandmother's (dare I say it:) SECRET Buttermilk Chess Pie to a teacher friend and really by accident left out, one item, a little flour. I think she always will think I wouldn't give her the correct recipe. Darn it all.

Another "secret" recipe funny--OK, 2 of them

1. My friend is a great baker and at work they just LOVE the brownies she brings in---the BEST they have ever tasted. Recipe is 1 box of $1 brownie mix from Walmart made as directed. Add 1 cup chocolate chips. Top with cheap chocolate frosting. That is it.

LOL I get asked to bring my secret recipe brownies too. ummmmm, well it is just 2 boxes of the mix, dumped into one 9x12 pan, and cooked a smidge longer. LOL That is it, they are just a bit thicker than the box usually makes (in fact the brand I make, even suggests doing this same thing LOL) Yep, big secret. LOL

Especially ones that can be googled, and then found on the Taste of Home website. :glare:

I was just - gently, to be fair - chastised for sharing a "family" recipe on Facebook with friends. I got the recipe from my Mom, who got it from her Mom, who found it in a Taste of Home magazine. If you google the title, the Taste of Home recipe is the first thing that pops up.

How is this considered a "Family Recipe"?? :confused:

:lol: People usually are happy to share recipes they found or created or modified. You could repost recipe simply by linking to it. :lol:

When people have asked for a recipe I modified, I give both the original and my revised version.

This seems like a lot of flour - how many loaves does it make?

Sorry about that, it makes 4 aprox. 1 1/2 # loaves.:001_smile:

I gave the small recipe. I have it for 8-9 loaves also. The machine that I used did that pretty easily and I loved it. When for just our family I baked once a wk and when I did the bakery I could pump out a lot of bread in a morning.

Maybe 'back in the day' you could have a "secret" family recipe. Back before everything was on the internet. Now, it doesn't make much sense to make a big deal about sharing. You can find anything online. Even most famous restaurant foods have been duplicated and shared.

We were at a church potluck a few years, and a lady brought artichoke dip that my mom and I thought was delicious. When asked for the recipe, she refused to share. We went home and found it on a website. No big deal.

And since most people probably aren't asking for recipes other than for their own personal use, why not share them?

My Italian mother-in-law's sauce & meatballs recipe is NOT online. I know, I've tried to look for ANYTHING similar to it. I finally had to go to her house and watch her make it on two consecutive days. I wrote things down to the best of my ability (it is an unwritten recipe). The first half dozen times I made it I didn't get it quite right (although not bad). Now my husband and kids say it's as good as hers.

I'll share someday when she passes...

Interestingly, her own daughter (my sister in law) does NOT make this recipe. And she's a fine cook in every aspect. It has often made me wonder if there was some "blow up over the sauce" in the deep past? I don't know...

My Italian mother-in-law's sauce & meatballs recipe is NOT online.

Neither is my mother's, or her sister's (they're all delicious but each slightly different). I know how to make it because I spent years at her side (since I could reach the stove) in the kitchen, helping to make it. And still mine isn't exactly the same. Delicious, but not the same. She did try to write it down once but it's always "You put in some dried oregano until it looks like enough" type of measurements. Still, she'd have been happy to share it if she could.

Mrs. Mungo offered a good reason not to share, but for the most part, I don't get not sharing recipes. I enjoy good food and enjoy sharing it, as well as sharing recipes. There are recipes I've shared yet when we go to covered dish events I'm asked to bring the items - even though many of the people I shared the recipes with will be there.

Another "secret" recipe funny--OK, 2 of them

2. The other one is another friend that brings these wonderful, light fluffy rolls to church potlucks. She moved to Alaska and said I could bring her "secret" recipe to the potlucks now. It consists of greasing 24 muffin tins. Throwing in those little frozen rolls from Walmart and letting them rise 8-10 hours (usually overnight) and then baking them until just lightly browned. Seriously, her "famous" rolls are from the frozen section at Walmart and she buys them in a bag of 72 or so at a time.

Are they Rhodes rolls? Those are seriously yummy! They also make some ready to serve rolls that are delish. A coworker of dh's called one weekend day to ask the name of the rolls we'd served him at dinner a few months before. :D

It looks good, and I like that it doesn't use cream of cr*p soup. I wonder if it would taste good with the leftover turkey I have in the freezer. I might try it tonight.

My modification would then make it a "new" recipe, and I could call it my secret cheesy turkey chowder. :lol:

I wonder if any of my friends think I'm being secretive when they ask me for my recipes. The problem is that I just make everything up as I go along and never measure anything.

If I attempt to write out a recipe, it becomes something like this, "Keep adding flour until the dough is the right consistency." it isn't exactly helpful.

It's mystifying to me. It seems arrogant to me, like you have to get the glory because nobody else knows how to make Coleslaw your way (or whatever). :confused:

It would never occur to me to hoard a recipe for myself. If it's wildly successful and everybody loves it, so much the better if lots of people get to enjoy it.

:iagree: And for the record, I make awesome coleslaw. I never liked coleslaw before I found this recipe and made it for dh. I still only like my coleslaw and the coleslaw at one locally-owned (IOW, not a chain) restaurant in our town. And I'd be happy to share the recipe for mine if anyone wants it.

I made this for our supper tonight, substituting chopped turkey that we had in the freezer. It was AMAZING. Everybody wanted seconds. Next time I will double it so that we can all have some more!! :). Thank Granny for me!

Looks like I should have read all the responses before I posted. Dang. Now you have the secret turkey chowder recipe. :D

I wonder if any of my friends think I'm being secretive when they ask me for my recipes. The problem is that I just make everything up as I go along and never measure anything.

If I attempt to write out a recipe, it becomes something like this, "Keep adding flour until the dough is the right consistency." it isn't exactly helpful.

I try to be more descriptive when I write out a recipe that I created. (Or, like this one, a recipe that I modified.)

Here is my chicken curry:

Chicken Curry

2 T. oil

2. c. chopped onion

½ c. chopped green bell pepper

2 cloves garlic

6 pieces of chicken (I used one pound of boneless, skinless breasts, finely chopped)

2 T. curry powder (HEAPING!!!)

½ t. cumin

½ t. coriander

1 ½ t. salt

½ c. water

¼ c. lemon juice

1 8 ounce can tomato sauce

Heat oil in heavy pan or Dutch oven. Add onions, pepper and sauté one minute before adding garlic. Continue until all are softened. (I blended the vegetables at this point so they can be smooth and un-chunky in the sauce, because that’s the way I roll, but, you know…..whatever works for ya!)

Keep vegetables (or vegetable paste if you went with my modification) separate for now.

Saute chicken in pan until nicely browned. It should resemble the colour of a finely aged leather portfolio. After chicken is mostly cooked through, add vegetables back in as well as the remaining ingredients. Let simmer on stove until you get an inner sense that it is ready.

You will know.

Serve over rice with Naan.

I made the Secret Family Recipe for Chicken Chowder last night and it was good. Today I served it over some leftover white rice I had in the fridge and DH loved it. He said that's the way it should always be served. Don't tell anyone though because it's a secret. :001_smile:

My mother has a Facebook account to keep up with her kids, grandkids and far away friends. She will be 70 this summer.

My 82 yo dad has a facebook account, and so does his older brother, who is 89!!!

My daughter was the only one of her friends at college who had grandparents on facebook....

:auto:

Anne

:iagree: And for the record, I make awesome coleslaw. I never liked coleslaw before I found this recipe and made it for dh. I still only like my coleslaw and the coleslaw at one locally-owned (IOW, not a chain) restaurant in our town. And I'd be happy to share the recipe for mine if anyone wants it.

I'd love your coleslaw recipe!

We need a sniglet for the Willingness To Share Recipes: RECIPEROCITY

Those who have been given a "family secret recipe" but suspect that a key ingredient or two has been left out: INGREDULOUS

People who refuse to share: INGREEDIENTS.

Those who don't believe some of the best recipes come off the back of the box, package or can: HATERTOTS.

Those who drastically change recipes they have been given, and then claim they "just made your recipe" even though it tastes totally different now: FIZZYBODIES.

Those who take the family recipes to the grave with them: GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS FASTS.

Contest theme where someone uses a recipe that they got from someone else who is also in that same contest: "I CAN'T BELEIVE IT'S NOT BITTER."

Someone who gives out a recipe they got from someone else, but it was supposed to remain a secret: EGGS BENEDICT ARNOLD. Or, FRAICHEROUS.

Someone whose "secret recipe" is embarrassingly easy: MIRACLE WHIMP.