Menu

I do not understand "Secret" family recipes.

Especially ones that can be googled, and then found on the Taste of Home website. :glare:

I was just - gently, to be fair - chastised for sharing a "family" recipe on Facebook with friends. I got the recipe from my Mom, who got it from her Mom, who found it in a Taste of Home magazine. If you google the title, the Taste of Home recipe is the first thing that pops up.

How is this considered a "Family Recipe"?? :confused:

I know!! I love to share all the good recipes that I find or manage (through blind luck) to create. Why would you want to hoard good food??

Especially, if it's not your recipe to begin with! Sigh. I just deleted the note to avoid further drama. I don't have time for that kind of stuff.

Well, apparently I do because I'm posting here about it :lol:

That is bizarre. Can you block the person in question? Maybe I'm the wrong person to offer advice because I don't hesitate to unfriend people who love to stir up tons of drama on facebook.

It was my grandmother, who normally is an absolute delight. She is completely lovely in every aspect, but apparently a little touchy about recipes :D.

LOL, I agree. If I find a good recipe I love to share it!

:iagree: TOTALLY! I spent months getting a 100% whole wheat bread recipe to be nearly fail proof. I went on and established a bakery in our home and baked 3-4 days a week for people using this recipe. I also taught several other ladies how to make it and shared it with multiple people while I was selling the baked goods to others. I wanted people to be able to have a good, healthy bread. That was my goal. I made money on the baked product but the ones that wanted the recipe would never been able to purchase it for their families.

When I get a recipe that I like, I share.:D

LOL, yes. My italian grandmother gets really possessive of "her" method of making spaghetti sauce, but it turns out it's just regular old marinara with some parmesan melted in. There, now you all know.

For thanksgiving this year, my sister was not going to my Mom's like we usually do, but to some of her DH's relatives, who asked her to bring cranberry sauce. So sis asked me, sheepishly and secretively, if she could have the recipe "for that special cranberry sauce you usually do?" I think she thought I got it from my DH's family or something. When I told her to look on page whatever of Joy of Cooking, we had a good laugh! :001_smile:

LOL! Well, you're right that it's not exactly a secret, but there are millions of recipes on the internet, cookbooks and magazines. She might have tried half a dozen or more recipes before she found the one she liked best. Trying to find the exact match to make something taste the same would be tough unless someone shared the specific recipe that she used--and since she may have worked hard into finding the recipe, she doesn't want everyone knowing how to make it. When everyone one knows a favorite recipe, it's not always quite as special. There are some dishes that get out there in the neighborhood and and the next thing you know, every church potluck for the next five years has it. Then, in a few years, her special dish may seem over-used and boring.

Especially ones that can be googled, and then found on the Taste of Home website. :glare:

I was just - gently, to be fair - chastised for sharing a "family" recipe on Facebook with friends. I got the recipe from my Mom, who got it from her Mom, who found it in a Taste of Home magazine. If you google the title, the Taste of Home recipe is the first thing that pops up.

This cracks me up. Did you respond to the "accusation?"

What recipe was it? You could share it here...;)

Lol. I want to know too. My sister and I joke about "secret family recipes" and how they are all things we've gotten off allrecipes.

It was my grandmother, who normally is an absolute delight. She is completely lovely in every aspect, but apparently a little touchy about recipes :D.

I see. Maybe she wanted everyone to THINK it was a secret family recipe? Or that it was super-hard?

My dh encouraged me to enter this thing I make into a recipe contest. I had to explain to him that my mom got that recipe from a Tupperware calendar in the seventies.

eta: My MIL is the funniest on facebook because she is so stereotypical. I post a picture of the kids and she'll say, "LOOKIN' GOOD I LOVE YOU!!!1!11"

Edited by Mrs Mungo

LOL! Well, you're right that it's not exactly a secret, but there are millions of recipes on the internet, cookbooks and magazines. She might have tried half a dozen or more recipes before she found the one she liked best. Trying to find the exact match to make something taste the same would be tough unless someone shared the specific recipe that she used--and since she may have worked hard into finding the recipe, she doesn't want everyone knowing how to make it. When everyone one knows a favorite recipe, it's not always quite as special. There are some dishes that get out there in the neighborhood and and the next thing you know, every church potluck for the next five years has it. Then, in a few years, her special dish may seem over-used and boring.

I can honestly say I can't imagine having this problem, ever in my life. Do people really have time to worry about this? I haven't even managed a shower yet today. I bring some combination of starch and sauce to potlucks, and call it good if it doesn't include cream of mushroom soup.

My mom's pecan pie recipe is from the back of the Karo syrup bottle. Her pumpkin pie recipe is the one on the Libby's label. The chocolate cake recipe that I am famous for? Is the "Deep, Dark Chocolate Cake" recipe on the can of Hershey's cocoa.

And I don't care. These are truly great recipes. They taste delicious.

This sort of thing drives me insane!!!! Unless you're creating recipes for a cookbook or something, I don't see why someone can't share a recipe! I'm in a few groups that get together and bring food and because of allergies we're suppose to share our recipes. Some people will share only certain ingredients and leave out the "secret" ingredients, but assure us they're allergy safe. How ridiculous!

I'm sure it's partly this. I think I was just surprised that it was an issue because I didn't know it was considered "ours". I would never share her Pecan Pie recipe or her Pumpkin Pie recipe or any of the ones I know are "hers", because I know she has worked to make them exactly right and wants them to be special. I don't agree with the idea behind it - I love to share things - but I respect her and her work enough to agree to the request. I just thought this particular recipe was like one of the hundreds of other Taste of Home recipes my family cooks, albeit a particularly good one :).

:iagree: TOTALLY! I spent months getting a 100% whole wheat bread recipe to be nearly fail proof. I went on and established a bakery in our home and baked 3-4 days a week for people using this recipe. I also taught several other ladies how to make it and shared it with multiple people while I was selling the baked goods to others. I wanted people to be able to have a good, healthy bread. That was my goal. I made money on the baked product but the ones that wanted the recipe would never been able to purchase it for their families.

Um.. recipe? :bigear:

My mom's pecan pie recipe is from the back of the Karo syrup bottle.

I have a friend who will not share his recipe for pecan pie. I asked his wife (she hates to cook) why he is that secretive over a tasty pie... she laughed and said it was from the back of the Karo Syrup bottle. I guess her hubs doesn't like to admit he didn't come up with the original idea?

Maybe 'back in the day' you could have a "secret" family recipe. Back before everything was on the internet. Now, it doesn't make much sense to make a big deal about sharing. You can find anything online. Even most famous restaurant foods have been duplicated and shared.

We were at a church potluck a few years, and a lady brought artichoke dip that my mom and I thought was delicious. When asked for the recipe, she refused to share. We went home and found it on a website. No big deal.

And since most people probably aren't asking for recipes other than for their own personal use, why not share them?

Are you still sharing this recipe because I would love to STOP failing at whole wheat bread! (sorry for the thread detour)

I know!! I love to share all the good recipes that I find or manage (through blind luck) to create. Why would you want to hoard good food??

Especially, if it's not your recipe to begin with! Sigh. I just deleted the note to avoid further drama. I don't have time for that kind of stuff.

Well, apparently I do because I'm posting here about it :lol:

I have a dear friend who is one of the nicest, most well-mannered people I have ever met in my life...but she has a blindspot on a recipe she makes. She never gives out the recipe. She's very sweet about turning people down, but she does turn people down if ever they ask how she makes this tasty treat. It's mystifying to me. It seems arrogant to me, like you have to get the glory because nobody else knows how to make Coleslaw your way (or whatever). :confused:

It would never occur to me to hoard a recipe for myself. If it's wildly successful and everybody loves it, so much the better if lots of people get to enjoy it.

I have a friend who will not share his recipe for pecan pie. I asked his wife (she hates to cook) why he is that secretive over a tasty pie... she laughed and said it was from the back of the Karo Syrup bottle. I guess her hubs doesn't like to admit he didn't come up with the original idea?

I bet he is embarrassed. He shouldn't be! It's good pie! :lol:

At our housewarming party one of the things I served was cheese-sausage balls. Three different people asked me, "With Bisquick? Oh my gosh, my mother used to make these!" I bet it came on the Bisquick package sometime in the '60s or '70s when our mothers were young cooks. I thought it was fun that all these different people knew and loved the recipe.

:tongue_smilie: my sil's mil was one of "those" people. she wouldn't share her "family recipe" because then on one would want to visit her because they could make her "special" recipes. sheesh. sil wasn't even allowed the recipes, so her dh would have to make the items. (and there's the even worse type who give out their recipes - but change it so it's not the same).

when I don't give out a recipe - it's becacuse I've forgotten someone wanted it and need a reminder. (hangs head in shame).

eta: we have recipes dh developed - anyone who wants them is welcome. (lasange; a chocolate cheesecake that a nephew had as his wedding cake. one girl was a scream. I'm on a diet, can I have a tiny piece? . . . . 15 mnutes later "can I have a big piece?" lol.)

Edited by gardenmom5

I have a dear friend who is one of the nicest, most well-mannered people I have ever met in my life...but she has a blindspot on a recipe she makes. She never gives out the recipe. She's very sweet about turning people down, but she does turn people down if ever they ask how she makes this tasty treat. It's mystifying to me. It seems arrogant to me, like you have to get the glory because nobody else knows how to make Coleslaw your way (or whatever). :confused:

It would never occur to me to hoard a recipe for myself. If it's wildly successful and everybody loves it, so much the better if lots of people get to enjoy it.

:iagree:I love sharing recipes!! And most people usually end up giving me the credit anyway. As in, "I made YOUR sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving." Or, "My husband just loves your oatmeal cookie recipe!"

One was from a local newspaper and the other from a Junior League cookbook. But now they're "mine" in other people's minds. Gotta love that. :lol:

My mom's pecan pie recipe is from the back of the Karo syrup bottle. Her pumpkin pie recipe is the one on the Libby's label. The chocolate cake recipe that I am famous for? Is the "Deep, Dark Chocolate Cake" recipe on the can of Hershey's cocoa.

The awesome brownie recipe I use (that I think makes the most amazingly delicious brownies on earth) is a replica of one that was published in the old Sears-Roebuck catalog in the 1800s. And my mom's pumpkin pie is the Libby's label, too - I LOVE that pie!

:tongue_smilie: my sil's mil was one of "those" people. she wouldn't share her "family recipe" because then on one would want to visit her because they could make her "special" recipes. sheesh. sil wasn't even allowed the recipes, so her dh would have to make the items. (and there's the even worse type who give out their recipes - but change it so it's not the same).

I don't exactly refuse to give out recipes, but I have a hard time giving someone an exact recipe for something that I made up and/or adjust as I cook. My salsa will not have the exact same thing in it every time. It depends on how strong the peppers are, what type of peppers the store had that day, how long it has to sit in my fridge to let the garlic really permeate, etc. So, if someone wants to know how I make salsa? They have to come over and I'll give them a lesson. Same with lasagna or meatloaf. It doesn't always have the same thing in it.

I *have* a chile con queso recipe, for example? But, I don't follow the recipe. I don't use my own recipe, either. I just sort of adjust it according to what I have or my mood. So, I can give someone that "base" recipe, but it won't be exactly like I made it.

when I was newly married, and finally learning to cook things that weren't desserts :001_rolleyes:, I worked for a doc in a poor part of the city I lived in. The doc's wife and most of his family frequented the office. his wife was a bit of a queen-wanna-be, and would bring her family fave recipes for lunches once a month, fully expecting profuse accolades.

I had never eaten lasagna, so I asked for her recipe, not knowing that people were possessive of recipes--in my family we always exclaimed over good recipes and promptly shared them.

She would not give me her lasagna recipe, until one day I made a pie that was delish. (I love pies and can make a mean pie crust.) She went ga-ga over it and begged and begged for the recipe. I finally relented after she promised to give me her lasagna recipe, which, per our agreement still bears the name "Mrs. King's Lasagna." The only thing was, that particular pie was simply the chocolate pie recipe off the back of the Cool Whip tub, with a layer of sliced fesh strawberries in the middle. I did throw in my perfect pie crust recipe for good measure. If I hadn't had the lasagna recipe first, I think she would have reneged on the deal. It took several months and several reminders to her how much my new hubby appreciated her lasagna before she forgave me.

In this day and age, I'd just Google it.

Yeah, I had a friend take a picture of her cookies she made and put them on FB and say 'Just made my famous whatever-stupid-name cookies! Yummy!"

Someone responds asking for the recipe- because DUH you just showed a photo of something yummy- and she says "No, no, no- secret family recipe ;)"

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Don't talk about it if you don't wanna share, Grinchie!

For the record, I will share any recipe, always.

I would love the bread recipe as well, though I love the one on the Love to Learn Blog and use it.

I have a friend whose dad died and unfortunately his recipes died with him. You might want to point out to grandma that because you love them so much you want her memory to live on long after her death. It would be tragic if her recipes were lost. I know my grandma spoke fondly of tomato soup her mom made and alas never was given the recipe.

I've learned over time to be generous with recipes. I've also learned that if someone won't share a recipe with me, I can always find it or something close to it on the Internet. I've had some fun with my MIL over the years doing that. She has many dishes that are quite good that RegularDad loves, and every single time I asked her to write them down for me, she'd gush: "oh, we'll get together real soon and I'll show you how to do it."

Sixteen years later, I'm still waiting for that big event.

So I started googling and I've managed to either match or exceed the majority of her recipes. It's really been fun. Just last month, she was over to babysit and we were finishing up some beef and barley soup, and she looked at the soup bowls, and said, "....oh.... you make that?"

"Yes," I said. "I make that."

"....oh..." (really quiet) "....me too..."

Yeah.

The other funny thing is that my mom once showed me how to make her "famous" potato salad, and then forbade me to tell anyone how to make it. Ever.

For years, I wouldn't tell people how I made the stuff, and then finally, just in passing, I asked my mom where she got the recipe. From her mom? Her grandmother?

"Oh," she said casually, "I found it on a box of Mueller's elbows."

I started telling everyone the recipe after that.

I would love the bread recipe as well, though I love the one on the Love to Learn Blog and use it.

I have a friend whose dad died and unfortunately his recipes died with him. You might want to point out to grandma that because you love them so much you want her memory to live on long after her death. It would be tragic if her recipes were lost. I know my grandma spoke fondly of tomato soup her mom made and alas never was given the recipe.

:iagree: I have a friend who has been trying to get her grandmother's spaghetti sauce recipe for years, but g'ma won't give the true recipe. Friend points out (not to g'ma) that she only has so many years left to share the true recipe and then it will really be sad if nobody can make it in the future.

I'm sorry, but you can't post all of that then NOTshare the recipe. :toetap05:

My facebook notes have nothing but recipes for sharing :001_smile:

My grandmother's pie is also from the libbys label. It has a lot more spice than their newer recipe and allotter pies taste too bland to me.

The awesome brownie recipe I use (that I think makes the most amazingly delicious brownies on earth) is a replica of one that was published in the old Sears-Roebuck catalog in the 1800s. And my mom's pumpkin pie is the Libby's label, too - I LOVE that pie!

Hellooooooooo, brownie recipe please! :toetap05:

Another "secret" recipe funny--OK, 2 of them

1. My friend is a great baker and at work they just LOVE the brownies she brings in---the BEST they have ever tasted. Recipe is 1 box of $1 brownie mix from Walmart made as directed. Add 1 cup chocolate chips. Top with cheap chocolate frosting. That is it.

2. The other one is another friend that brings these wonderful, light fluffy rolls to church potlucks. She moved to Alaska and said I could bring her "secret" recipe to the potlucks now. It consists of greasing 24 muffin tins. Throwing in those little frozen rolls from Walmart and letting them rise 8-10 hours (usually overnight) and then baking them until just lightly browned. Seriously, her "famous" rolls are from the frozen section at Walmart and she buys them in a bag of 72 or so at a time.

It does seem to me that lots of times the good recipes are similar to the ones on the back of the box, with more spices or flavorings?

My sister-in-law's mother had a famous hashbrown casserole, holiday special only. My mother-in-law did too. Funny, when I finally had both in one holiday, I realized they were the same (different toppings) and BOTH were from the back of Campbell's Soup can labels, from a long time ago. Aha moment.

An older friend used to make spinach dip and sell it, every Christmas...she had a little twist that made it really yummy. She made me promise not to tell anyone, and gave me her recipe. I yielded to a yammery cousin of my husband's, trying to "fit in" to my new family (25 years ago, so no asgst now) and she promptly did something miniscule to the recipe, and told the original chef friend, who really did have a great improvement on the regular dip, to "try mine, I made it even better than yours!" I could have died. Geez.

The chicken chowder recipe does look great! Thanks!

Hellooooooooo, brownie recipe please! :toetap05:

Okay, but I warn you, this was before people tried to avoid fat and calories...

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter

7 squares (1oz each) unsweetened chocolate

2 1/4 c sifted all-purpose flour

1 1/2 t salt

6 large eggs

3 c sugar

1 1/2 T vanilla extract

(The recipe also uses 4 c chopped walnuts, but I don't ever use them.)

Preheat 325. Butter a 15 1/2" X 10 1/2" baking pan. In a saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat; cool. Sift flour and salt. (Add nuts)

In a large bowl, with electric mixer on high, beat eggs just until foamy. Add sugar, then cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat until blended.

Stir in the flour mixture just until it disappears, then spoon it into the pan. Bake 35 m or just until set and toothpick comes out almost clean. Let cool in pan for 15 m. Cut into bars.

One 2" x 1.5" bar has 242 calories and 17 g fat. :tongue_smilie:

From 1897 catalog of Sears, Roebuck and Company, apparently; I got it out of Down Home Cooking.

It does seem to me that lots of times the good recipes are similar to the ones on the back of the box, with more spices or flavorings?

My sister-in-law's mother had a famous hashbrown casserole, holiday special only. My mother-in-law did too. Funny, when I finally had both in one holiday, I realized they were the same (different toppings) and BOTH were from the back of Campbell's Soup can labels, from a long time ago. Aha moment.

An older friend used to make spinach dip and sell it, every Christmas...she had a little twist that made it really yummy. She made me promise not to tell anyone, and gave me her recipe. I yielded to a yammery cousin of my husband's, trying to "fit in" to my new family (25 years ago, so no asgst now) and she promptly did something miniscule to the recipe, and told the original chef friend, who really did have a great improvement on the regular dip, to "try mine, I made it even better than yours!" I could have died. Geez.

The chicken chowder recipe does look great! Thanks!

What you aren't sharing either recipe?