Menu

Why would a child's hand shake?

Ds's hands have done this off and on all of his life. He noticed this weekend when he was drawing. They don't always shake, but sometimes when he pours a glass or needs to do detail work.

He's quite healthy otherwise, eats a varied diet, and it doesn't seem to be tied to a sugar or caffeine intake.

Any ideas?

We have a few "shakers" in our extended family, including two of my girls. It's minor (not real noticeable and doesn't keep them from doing anything), but shows when they are doing small, focused work like art.

One nephew, however, does have noticeably shakey hands and has been diagnosed with something called Central Tremor. I've sometimes wondered if the lesser shaking is just a really mild version of CT.

I've heard of this referred to as an intention tremor. Here's one site, and I'm sure Google can give you plenty more!

Question

My child is 5-years old and we noticed even when he was younger that his hand tend to shake. When he tries to do a small puzzle he shakes, when he puts the pieces in place. When he is trying to learn how to write he can't tell how hard to press and we see that he shakes. I asked hi the other day to hold a small cup of water out straight in front of him and his hand(s) where shaking, sometimes worse than other times. Should this be a concern of ours or will this pass in time? I asked this of my doctor about 2-years ago and he said it will pass in time. How much time? Should I see a neurologist? Thanks for taking time to read this. Jim

Answer

Hi, Jim,

Intention tremors are normal in kids and they tend to run in families. I would tend to follow your doctors advice. They tend to be better with time and generally are benign. If they interfere greatly with his daily activities or if they are associated with other neurological problems, then a visit to a pediatric neurologist might be in order.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

source

We have a few "shakers" in our extended family, including two of my girls. It's minor (not real noticeable and doesn't keep them from doing anything), but shows when they are doing small, focused work like art.

One nephew, however, does have noticeably shakey hands and has been diagnosed with something called Central Tremor. I've sometimes wondered if the lesser shaking is just a really mild version of CT.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Is he on asthma medicine? My hands shake badly if I take albuterol (the ingredient in rescue inhalers).

No, no medications.

Anytime you see a tremor, a neurologist trip is in order. It is probably something benign like an essential tremor, but it needs to be checked out.

No insurance, so doctor visits are severely limited. Is just never interfered with well being.

I've heard of this referred to as an intention tremor. Here's one site, and I'm sure Google can give you plenty more!

source

Thanks, off to check those out.

my mom's hands shake, and so do mine. I don't shake as much as she does- it's difficult for her to put a necklace on. I can remember, much of my life, people telling her she has parkinsons- this would really tick her off...

I quit wheat last month, and my shakes stopped. I now think it had to do with sugar highs from carbs. My shakes would get worse between meals, i kind of knew it had to do with eating, I would usually eat something (carbs or chocolate) to make the shaky feeling lessen.

they are gone now that I cut out wheat and so-most carbs, so maybe you should look into blood sugar spikes and drops?

my mom's hands shake, and so do mine. I don't shake as much as she does- it's difficult for her to put a necklace on. I can remember, much of my life, people telling her she has parkinsons- this would really tick her off...

I quit wheat last month, and my shakes stopped. I now think it had to do with sugar highs from carbs. My shakes would get worse between meals, i kind of knew it had to do with eating, I would usually eat something (carbs or chocolate) to make the shaky feeling lessen.

they are gone now that I cut out wheat and so-most carbs, so maybe you should look into blood sugar spikes and drops?

That is interesting. I am sensitive to wheat and dh is hypoglycemic. We might track them and his eating, to see what we get.

I had a period where I was shaking a lot. I had just changed my diet to accommodate my allergic baby. It turned out that my potassium was low. FYI, potassium isn't just in bananas. Potatoes, orange juice, milk, V8 are all high in potassium.

I had a period where I was shaking a lot. I had just changed my diet to accommodate my allergic baby. It turned out that my potassium was low. FYI, potassium isn't just in bananas. Potatoes, orange juice, milk, V8 are all high in potassium.

He does drink milk everyday and has juice in the morning.

It sounds like an essential tremor. It runs in my family and I have a very mild tremor. A cousin has a relatively severe one. It's harmless assuming it doesn't interfere with life.

No, no real issues. We were simply talking about it this morning in regards to his drawing.

I've had this since I was a girl.

Worst in the morning or if I'm particularly nervous. There's a definite hypoglycemic edge to it. I also have borderline thyroid issues and according to the literature they could be related.

I do notice it when he's nervous.

:blushing: I wonder if my inlaws were saying essential tremor and I was hearing central. Oops! Sorry if I am confusing anyone's research.

I got the idea, and I understand.

My first thought was blood sugar.

It doesn't seemed to be tied closely to sugar levels though.

Fine motor skill problems can cause shaking.

He's not had issues that were noticeable, and again it's not all the time. It is nice to know he's not alone.

I've had essential tremor most of my life, and it seems to run in my mom's family. It's gotten much better in the past several years.

This is SO interesting! My tremor got better about the same time that I gave up wheat/gluten. I suspect strongly that I'm celiac. So many minor problems went away when I went gluten free.

I've had essential tremor most of my life, and it seems to run in my mom's family. It's gotten much better in the past several years.

This is SO interesting! My tremor got better about the same time that I gave up wheat/gluten. I suspect strongly that I'm celiac. So many minor problems went away when I went gluten free.

We may have to do a study here. He doesn't seem to have other issues with gluten, but he is not gluten free. Very interesting.

• 10 years later...