Menu

What do I do about this dollhouse?!

My 10 year-old saw the KidKraft Majestic Dollhouse at a toy store in October. She oohhed and ahhhed over it. She put it on her Christmas list that week, but didn't talk more about it really. I found one for an absolute STEAL and bought it for her for Christmas.

Now I'm rethinking it because in the meantime her brother transferred some displayed Lego creations out of those organizational cubes you get at Target. He asked her if she could use them for anything. Could she?! She started making a dollhouse for her American Girl mini dolls :001_smile:. She's got lots of room and she's being super creative, looking up Youtube videos for how to make doll furniture, etc. She's also asked for doll furniture for Christmas. I just wonder if she won't get more use out of making the cube doll house. I'm sure she'd love the big dollhouse for a while, but she just turned 10, and I wonder if the furniture won't be too babyish and she'll actually get more use making and creating her own stuff. She's very crafty and she plays with her AG dolls and AG mini dolls every day.

So. I have this 70 lb. box sitting in my house. Do I take it back? What would you do? I wouldn't even second guess myself if she were 7 or 8 and that makes me kind of sad :(.

I'd ask her to go over her list again and make sure there wasn't anything that she forgot or changed her mind about. Then you will know if she still wants it. My dd loves her AG dolls. She has never asked for a house, but she loves all the furniture, food, and accessories. This year, we went over lists constantly, what the youngest wants changes daily.

I would talk to her about it. You can make up a fake family and ask her advice what that mom should do.

"One of my friends online, Mrs Tap, would like your advice on something. She is thinking about buying a dollhouse for her daughter who is about your age. But, when I told her how much you are enjoying the cubes, she started wondering if those may be a better choice for her daughter as well. What do you think are the pros/cons of each?"

I would take it back and make her a craft chest of things for the house she has now. There are even books with ideas for how to make furniture. My dd made shoe box houses with furniture. She loved having plenty of fabrics, dowels, match boxes, sparklies, etc.

I would take it back and make her a craft chest of things for the house she has now. There are even books with ideas for how to make furniture. My dd made shoe box houses with furniture. She loved having plenty of fabrics, dowels, match boxes, sparklies, etc.

I like this idea. I would take the dollhouse back. What your daughter is doing is so much better.

I was one of those crafty kids. I loved designing and building and sewing and painting and crocheting . . . I made dollclothes and fairy houses and Lego streets and Barbie afghans . . .

When I was 10, Santa brought me the Barbie Dreamhouse. 3 stories of play.

That didn't stop my fun at all! It came with some furniture, but I added more! I used Jello boxes and spools and scraps from my mother's sewing pile. And some old upholstery for carpet. And raisin boxes for the stairs leading up to the front door (I put the house on top of an old trunk in my bedroom). And wrapping paper for wallpaper. And some box or pan for their swimming pool. With some old silk greenery for landscaping. And I posed my dolls in their ballgowns when I took up photography (with an instant Polaroid camera).

I don't think it dampened my creativity at all. It was one of my favorite of all favorite Christmas gifts.

That said, do you think she would enjoy assembling it with your help?

As a young single professional living alone, I bought a dollhouse kit to build for fun. When I finished it, I gave it to my mother who displayed it in her livingroom.

My youngest still plays with it. :001_smile:

Maybe your dd would like the gift unassembled if she enjoys building things.

JMO

She might still want the dollhouse, but she was just making do as she didn't see one in the house yet! :001_smile:

I was like that. I would create when the need arose, but it didn't mean I didn't want the real thing if I had a choice.

I would be realistic and just say, "Do you still want that dollhouse?" But I am rather blunt that way with my kids.

Dawn

She might still want the dollhouse, but she was just making do as she didn't see one in the house yet! :001_smile:

I was like that. I would create when the need arose, but it didn't mean I didn't want the real thing if I had a choice.

I would be realistic and just say, "Do you still want that dollhouse?" But I am rather blunt that way with my kids.

Dawn

:iagree:

My eleven year old DD, who was reading over my shoulder, says you should leave the choice up to your daughter. Mine says be honest and tell her you got the doll house and does she still want it.

Now *I* say that keeping the doll house is a great idea, and your DD will still keep up with the creation of stuff. Take my word for it - cardboard is not safe in this house! The spare bedroom has been taken over by the creations of my daughter!

Another vote for giving her the doll house. I think it will only encourage her to be more crafty and come up with more ideas. Also, it seems that you got a good deal on it. You wouldn't want to take it back and then in 3 months time have her ask for it again.

Lesley

I would take it back if I could.. and buy some furniture etc. for the one she has created. My 12 yr old daughter *still* uses the small white (cheap) bookshelf as a dollhouse that she's had for years.

She has decorated it many times, and just had new carpet 'installed' :001_smile:

I think it's more versatile than a regular dollhouse. (currently the very top is being used as a vet. office.. with apartments on each floor)

Dawn

:iagree:

That's what I was thinking, too.

What if she wakes up Christmas morning, and is sad that she didn't get the dollhouse she really wanted? You'll feel terrible about having returned it.

I don't think I'd leave the choice up to her. It's hard to resist the pull of an extravagant, wanted gift, even if a box of craft supplies for her current "house" would give more enjoyment and benefit in the long run.

Which isn't to say I'm definitely in favor of returning the dollhouse, I'm just not sure leaving the choice up to her is really the best indicator. My practical side says return it and get craft supplies. My sentimental side leans towards giving it to her anyways.

A third option might be finding a large-but-simpler dollhouse kit that provides a more house-like house but allows for more customization and creativity.

Edited by ocelotmom

I'd ask her to go over her list again and make sure there wasn't anything that she forgot or changed her mind about. Then you will know if she still wants it.

I would do that. If she doesn't list dollhouse I would ask her about it. Maybe she forgot and say she wanted it. (You could tell by her response if she cared or not). She might actually tell you she doesn't need it. Than I would return it if possible or give it as an angel tree gift like someone suggested.

Just clicked the link- it is beautiful. I would give it. It is totally different than what she is making.

Edited by QuirkyKapers

I just clicked on your link, and I LOVE THAT DOLLHOUSE!!!

Please, please, please keep it and give it to her -- she will be absolutely thrilled on Christmas morning!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do or anything... ;)

But really, everyone who is suggesting that she return the dollhouse -- have you seen it??? It's PERFECT!!!!!

Even if your dd isn't asking you for it all the time, she loved it when she saw it, and it will be the most amazing surprise gift on Christmas.

I'm 48, and I would love to find that dollhouse under my Christmas tree.

I was one of those crafty kids. I loved designing and building and sewing and painting and crocheting . . . I made dollclothes and fairy houses and Lego streets and Barbie afghans . . .

When I was 10, Santa brought me the Barbie Dreamhouse. 3 stories of play.

That didn't stop my fun at all! It came with some furniture, but I added more! I used Jello boxes and spools and scraps from my mother's sewing pile. And some old upholstery for carpet. And raisin boxes for the stairs leading up to the front door (I put the house on top of an old trunk in my bedroom). And wrapping paper for wallpaper. And some box or pan for their swimming pool. With some old silk greenery for landscaping. And I posed my dolls in their ballgowns when I took up photography (with an instant Polaroid camera).

I don't think it dampened my creativity at all. It was one of my favorite of all favorite Christmas gifts.

That said, do you think she would enjoy assembling it with your help?

As a young single professional living alone, I bought a dollhouse kit to build for fun. When I finished it, I gave it to my mother who displayed it in her livingroom.

My youngest still plays with it. :001_smile:

Maybe your dd would like the gift unassembled if she enjoys building things.

JMO

I would still give it to her. My dd's have several doll houses and they play with them simultaneously. They love to have another dolls house to go visit. It is also good when they have company.

I would take it back - it looks kind of babyish for a 10 yo. I think she would outgrow it quickly and then you will be stuck with the huge thing in the house taking up space.

I wouldn't even get it for my 5yo who wants a dollhouse. I am going with the Sylvanian family line instead because it will get more play value and is more "grown up".

I can see how she would have been impressed with the wow factor but personally I wouldn't do it.

So unless you got it for really, really cheap and have someone in mind to pass it down to later - I would take it back.

Dawn

agreeing here.

Sparrow -- Have you decided what to do with the dollhouse yet?

I hope you're keeping it! :001_smile:

Update forthcoming....but I have a certain 10 yo that keeps hovering around when I'm on the computer. I'll need to check in once she goes to bed tonight :001_smile:.

Update forthcoming....but I have a certain 10 yo that keeps hovering around when I'm on the computer. I'll need to check in once she goes to bed tonight :001_smile:.

It's like kids are psychic, isn't it? ;):D

Don't even get me started on the times I've missed out on eBay auctions because ds11 was lurking and would. not. go. away. :glare:

I got a super nice wooden doll house when I was ten years old and loved it for a long time. Now it's sitting in our playroom being enjoyed by Little Librarian. Mine wasn't decorated at all though, it one of the from a kit dollhouses that you see in the craft stores.

The verdict is in. We're keeping the dollhouse.

Today's grammar lesson consisted of "Hey! Let's do a final draft of your Christmas lists! I want your best handwriting, best spelling, best grammar, and what you *really* want the most." I love homeschooling :001_smile:.

DD's list consisted of American Girl doll clothes, lots of craft items like felt, clay, and beads to make stuff for dollhouses, and A DOLLHOUSE.

Another reason that I'm having a hard time taking it back is that I fear she may suspect she's getting one. The box arrived when I wasn't home. Thank goodness my husband was here, because it weighs more than 70 lbs., but the label does say "dollhouse". I know she doesn't think it's the one she saw at the toy store because she saw the price on that one and remarked that it was "SO expensive" (and it was :tongue_smilie:). She doesn't know about her mama's mad internet bargain skills :D.

I so appreciate everyone taking the time to weigh in. I guess we're just going to end up with a dollhouse neighborhood.

Yea! She'll love it. And so will you. There's a lot of times when the dollhouse is left a mess and I get to go through and rearrange it nicely. DD laughs when I put the dollhouse dad shaving and the doll house mom making breakfast. :001_smile:

Great idea for figuring out whether she still wanted it!

And as a side note....what kind of steal did you get it for??? My DD's are getting that dollhouse for Christmas this year too. I got it a few weeks ago at Walmart.com for $135 and free shipping. I just checked and now it is listed for $170 but sold out. I'm hoping that I didn't miss an even better deal!

Great idea for figuring out whether she still wanted it!

And as a side note....what kind of steal did you get it for??? My DD's are getting that dollhouse for Christmas this year too. I got it a few weeks ago at Walmart.com for $135 and free shipping. I just checked and now it is listed for $170 but sold out. I'm hoping that I didn't miss an even better deal!

Yep, that's the deal I got, too! You're good ;). The toy store had it for $300, so she knows she's not getting something that expensive!

Yea! She'll love it. And so will you. There's a lot of times when the dollhouse is left a mess and I get to go through and rearrange it nicely. DD laughs when I put the dollhouse dad shaving and the doll house mom making breakfast. :001_smile:

I love this.

:party: :party: :party:

I'm so happy for your dd!!!

I had my husband read the thread (much to his chagrin) before we made the big decision and he was cracking up over how adamant you were that we should give it to her. He was actually pretty adamant too ;).

I don't know if anyone has suggested it, but you may want to open the box to inspect the pieces for shipping damage now, before you go to assemble it. I have received several damaged items over the years, and it is disappointing on Christmas to have to deal with it.

If you have a gracious neighbor how may let you put it together at their house....even better. Sometimes those things can take a bit of time to do.