Menu

Is 10 too old for castles and schleich type figures?

I am thinking about getting all of my kids (ages 4g, 7g, 7g, and 10b) a nice castle set with some schleich, papo, and safari type figures. I'm not planning on doing a lot of knights and princesses but more of the mythical creatures. DS loves Percy Jackson so I was thinking of things like a minotaur, cerberus, spartan warrior, and hydras for him and fairies, elves, unicorns, etc. for the girls. I know a castle isn't exactly the right setting for those but I can't think of a better playset/home for them. I was hoping all of them could play together and DS wouldn't feel left out since the girls love to play fairies and Barbie type pretend all day long.

Is he too old? He still loves pretend and prefers to play pretend than any other type of game and the figures look really cool and not babyish. I keep thinking he'll outgrow how much he pretends but he doesn't. He even still plays with his stuffed animals and makes homes and stuff for them. Since this would be their main gift, I don't want him to feel left out and disappointed if he thinks he's too old for a castle set. Obviously, I can't ask him. DH thinks that DS is a little old for it but that he would really like it for now. He thinks he may outgrow it soon. How long have your all's kids or the kids you know played with these sets? It would be expensive enough to set up that I'd like all of them to enjoy it for a long time. I think DS would like it better if I could find some kind of Greek palace type castle instead of a medieval one but I haven't been able to find anything like that. I know the girls would like it. They drool over the Schleich fairies every time we go to a museum gift shop.

DD12 was still getting plastic animals until this year. Now that she is done with them, she is totally done. LOL

I would expect your ds to be the same. He may still love them this year, but come 12-13yo, they will be passed down quickly.

I think each child would probably be different but it sounds like your imaginative child would enjoy them.

We have built up quite a collection of Safari Ltd, Schliech, and Papo over here and they get played with more regularly than any other toy. I hope it lasts for awhile. They toys are durable- that's for sure!

It depends on the 10yo. I know some 10yos who would love that kind of toy, and I know other 10yos who'd be embarrassed to get "little kid" toys.

How's that for helpful? :tongue_smilie:

You know your kid and how he likes to play Given what you've described, I bet he'd love it!

Those type of items are on my ds, 11, Christmas wish list. He still plays with them, received a castle last year, wants new knights & stuff this year.

He is in that in between stage. Still loves certain toys but also has a lot of young teen/tween interests.

I'm a sappy mom and will miss the toy stage, so he is getting toys this Christmas. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I just got my 13yo another knight for her birthday! She doesn't "play" with them so much but makes stop-motion videos of them now. But she definitely enjoys them!

I hadn't even thought of that! DS will make stop action movies with his sister's Disney Princess dolls (for them), so I know he would also enjoy having some more manly options for his videos.

Thanks, you all have confirmed that he's not too old yet. I'm looking forward to finding and setting it up for all of them.