Menu

Apologia Science for 8th grader

noashmam

My son is currently doing Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage. I plan to also have him do McHenry's "The Elements" this year because I bought it a few years ago and we never got to it. He is in 7th. Next year I am thinking of switching him to Apologia since there is no Elemental Science Logic Stage ready for him yet. Plus, he will be in 8th grade and I want to get him ready for high school. If he were to use Apologia, should I have him do Apologia General or Apologia Physical Science for 8th? (I do not think he will be ready for Apologia Biology.) Since he can't do both Gen and Phys in one year, which of the two middle school Apologia's is more important if he were going to start Apologia Biology in 9th?

Thank you in advance!

Kim

ds-13 7th

dd-10 5th

dd-6 1st

To be honest with you I would go through the table of contents of both and see what you think he needs most! General science has some anatomy in the last 1/3 or so of the book. The rest is the History of Science and Earth Science. It also introduces the scientific method. Physical Science has Space Science, more earth science, weather (guess that can fall into both space and earth science ;)) physics and I think some light chemistry concepts. I think between the 2 they give a good general sweep of all science concepts (life science, space and earth, chemistry and physics) I don't know if either would better prepare for Biology- well maybe the anatomy part of the General Science. So all that to say I would go based on the TOC and what your dc would benefit from the most :001_smile:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Thank you for your input. Now I gotta choose which one seems to be the right one. Hmmmm.... Is one more interesting than the other? Anyone know? Out of the two, Gen or Physical, which did your dc like best? I'm also looking for something he can do mostly independently. Thanks again.

Kim

Thank you for your input. Now I gotta choose which one seems to be the right one. Hmmmm.... Is one more interesting than the other? Anyone know? Out of the two, Gen or Physical, which did your dc like best? I'm also looking for something he can do mostly independently. Thanks again.

Kim

It depends on your child's interests. I like some parts of General better than Physical, but some of Physical better than General. :001_smile:

We are doing General this year, but I have already gone through Physical and Biology w/ my older dd. And since I know what will be in Biology, and that the concepts seemed totally new to her (what we were using before didn't have much biology in elementary or middle school), I now know to make sure my younger kids really learn the biology portion of General.

And the scientific method woven in during the first few modules of General was really helpful.

You can see what we did in previous years, and some of this year at my blog. (in my siggy - martysahm), and see videos I post for the kids in my class to watch at home (also in siggy - homeschooler's resources) to give you an idea of what the courses cover.

Well, for General, obviously I've not posted the whole year yet. ;)

I would do Physical. You won't get the info again in later books.

True. So if you do only one, do Physical. :iagree:

But you also might find a used 1st edition General on Amazon, etc, and let him read through it. You'd know what he's already had, so you can pick and choose if he should read it all or only parts of it, or if there are any particular modules that he should focus on.

I guess I just like both books so much! ;)