Menu

Social skills help, please!

Guest 4hezmom

Guest 4hezmom

My 13-year-old daughter has Aspergers. We live in a very rural area without a lot of professional help. I need suggestions on a social skills training curriculum (preferably free!). Any help would be appreciated!

What state are you in?

Books by Jed Baker are good. You could also watch some tv shows together and talk about how the people are interacting.. Point out the good stuff you see and the bad. Then role play these skills. I've even looked for YouTube videos about body language to show to my teen as she has a difficult time regulating her body language and her facial expressions in most situations. I've also found books at the library on body language.

We have to drive a good 40 minutes to get to social activities, social skills groups, and therapies. We live in a small farming town. We once drove an hour (one way) 3x per week for ABA therapy and social skills group!

My 13-year-old daughter has Aspergers. We live in a very rural area without a lot of professional help. I need suggestions on a social skills training curriculum (preferably free!). Any help would be appreciated!

This is a really out of the box answer, but it is helping in our house. The Star Trek Voyager series has two characters that are socially challenged. One is a hologram, "The Doctor." and the other is a former Borg, "7 of 9." The Doctor specifically takes on the task of training 7 in social skills that he has had to learn, and the ships captain helps as well. The series has been entertaining and beneficial for opening conversations. We stream it from Netflix.