Menu

Talk to me about Rightstart Level C

Jocelyne

I am trying to get math squared away before the New Year. Right now we are doing things the Math on the Level way, which I love, but with a baby I am wanting to try something different. I was strongly considering Rightstart since it was always my original plan. But I am not so sure now. I am going in circles as to whether we continue on with MOTL. Or if I should switch to Rightstart.

Here is what we want...

Something hands-on with very minimal worksheets. I'd probably continue with MOTL way for review so don't want to be bogged down with other work. But I would like something to teach with. If there is anything other than RS that might lend itself to this style please let me know...

TIA

I am using RSA and RSB right now (with RSC in the closet for next year). I REALLY like the Righstart for teaching!!

I definitely would say it is low (practically non-existent, to me) on worksheets. In fact, I am using Math Mammoth as a supplement to get more repetition and worksheet work in. I do all of my actual teaching from RS, though, and that works great for us! :)

We're using RS C now and enjoying it. There are minimal worksheets except during the geometric drawing portion (which we happened to LOVE). You do need to be diligent to play games or your child won't get the practice needed.

We're on lesson 111.

RightStart C introduces a new way of subtracting. I love it! It is worth wrapping your head around!

Emily

I am new to homeschooling 5th week (so not experienced) and I use RSD with my 4th grader son. You are instructed to do the transitional phases first if you are new to RS to help you understand the program and how to use the abacus. We are still in the transitional phase, so I don't feel like we have gotten into the meat of it yet. I can say from my limited experience that I get frustrated trying to learn the new way of learning with the manipulatives, but also see the benefit of it all, which is why I am sticking with it. Right now bc we are in the transitional phase he can basically do everything we do without the abacus, but we have to learn how to do it with the abacus. I just hope he isn't getting behind during this transitional phase. But like I said, I believe (and hope) it will be worth all the frustration in the end :-)

Thanks! I spent a good deal of time reading through past threads. Hard to find much about levels beyond A & B. This will be our first adventure into a more formal approach to math. I had always thought I'd use RS but just never got around to it. We most definitely love games and I love to teach so I think this will be a great fit for both of us. I think I am going to take the plunge and order.

There are quite a few people on these boards who feel that RS loses its luster after B, and by D is possibly sub-par. To prepare for that, I decided to use both RS C and SM 2A/2B for my son this year, expecting to use SM as a supplement at first, and then transition into its being our main curriculum with RS as the supplement. Thus far, I still consider RS an exceptional program, and like it at least as much as SM. C has more worksheets than B, but they're still very much not the focus.

There are quite a few people on these boards who feel that RS loses its luster after B, and by D is possibly sub-par. To prepare for that, I decided to use both RS C and SM 2A/2B for my son this year, expecting to use SM as a supplement at first, and then transition into its being our main curriculum with RS as the supplement. Thus far, I still consider RS an exceptional program, and like it at least as much as SM. C has more worksheets than B, but they're still very much not the focus.

I had read that in several places but really couldn't figure out why. Or at least the reasons I found didn't make me want to consider something else. I also read several people that loved the program all the way through. There really doesn't sound like there is anything else out there that is similar in style - heavy on manipulatives, teaching, and games while very limited in actual worksheet type work. If there is I'd love to know so I can look into it.

I had read that in several places but really couldn't figure out why. Or at least the reasons I found didn't make me want to consider something else. I also read several people that loved the program all the way through. There really doesn't sound like there is anything else out there that is similar in style - heavy on manipulatives, teaching, and games while very limited in actual worksheet type work. If there is I'd love to know so I can look into it.

Some kids do very well in the early years with all the "hands-on" work but as they get older they outgrow the concrete manipulatives and start preferring doing it with pencil & paper. That happened to my oldest and is one reason why I switched to Singapore after finishing C.

Some kids do very well in the early years with all the "hands-on" work but as they get older they outgrow the concrete manipulatives and start preferring doing it with pencil & paper. That happened to my oldest and is one reason why I switched to Singapore after finishing C.

I can see that. But knowing my son he will appreciate the manipulatives and happily leave the pencil and paper behind.

My oldest is in Level D, and we are enjoying this level as much as the others. From my experience, the hands-on element is reduced as you progress through the levels. In D, my dd is working as much on her own as she is with me. My oldest two are in C & D, and I am particularly enjoying this season since they can play the games from both levels together. :D

It might be developmental. It might also be that mom's get tired.

We love RS here. Geometry was the only level I didn't care for....just too much working with hard concepts then drawing...it was hard for my dd to find a schedule that worked. Plus we seemed to always get different measurements, so I would have her measure the lines and had it for me to "correct". I actually just wanted her to do the calculations with their figures so the answer key was viable. If she measured .2 of a cm off of their measurment it would render the answer key useless.

C works a lot on multiplication, and also introduces fractions and division if I remember right. D has quite a bit of review, but at the same time it tends to add a layer of new stuff. My kids liked having something easier to do. It goes on to cover a lot of measurements, area, perimeter, fractions and short division...decimals are introduced as well. E shows the relationships between fractions, division, decimals, percent and ratio. I really adore how E does this.

The only gap I see in RS is limited word problems and it doesn't heavily cover long division. If you are using a secondary program I am sure they will get enough coverage between the two.

Heather

From my experience, the hands-on element is reduced as you progress through the levels.

:iagree:

It might be developmental. It might also be that mom's get tired.

We love RS here...C works a lot on multiplication, And subtraction. and also introduces fractions and division if I remember right...The only gap I see in RS is limited word problems I agree and it doesn't heavily cover long division. I can't speak to this yet. If you are using a secondary program I am sure they will get enough coverage between the two.

:iagree:

We're using RS C now and enjoying it. There are minimal worksheets except during the geometric drawing portion (which we happened to LOVE). DD loved them at the beginning, but they became too hard for her, and too many lessons of it all in a row. You do need to be diligent to play games or your child won't get the practice needed. We're on lesson 111. We are roughly at the same spot.

RightStart C introduces a new way of subtracting. I love it! It is worth wrapping your head around!

:iagree: My few comments are above in red. I look forward to continuing with level D in the spring.

We are almost done with C. My child loves it, the hardest part has been to get him to show anywork as he does everything in his mind. Thank you Rightstart for Mental math. We supplement with singapore Challenging word problems from Sonlight. As he really couldn't do word problems.

We hope to start D in January.

And C does have more worksheets than my guy would like, we are doing drill on the computer then on paper as that is too hard for him. YMMV

If you can manage it, scheduling the games for the kids to play with each other will take some pressure off. My schedule has changed over the years, but currently it is:

Monday: 8th and 3rd play a game at 3rd grader's level. 6th and 5th play a game at 5th grader's level.

Tuesday: 8th and 6th play together at 6th grader's level. 5th and 3rd play a game at my 3rd grader's level.

Wednesday: 8th and 5th play together at my 5th grader's level. 6th and 3rd play a game at my 3rd grader's level.

Thursday: Same as Tuesday.

Next year I will probably let my oldest out of games, but not quite yet.

Heather

• 1 month later...

I'd be hesitant to buy all the levels at once, but if it is a good enough deal then you could always resell part of it. I'd likely watch for just Level B used, it is easy enough to find.

We are on Lvl C now and still quite enjoying it. Ds just begs to do it, always first, I've had frustrated moments as a teacher but he thrives with it. I had considered maybe moving to Beast Academy next year but I think we will continue with RS.

my dd is five working on level A . i was looking online to buy level B used and maybe level C because we live overseas shipping takes time and i like to have my curriculum ready in the drawers whenever my dd is ready for it . Now i had a wonderful post in my inbox for a mummy selling all the levels from B to E . i really thought it is God sent . i have a disabled child and struggle with finance , i was so achy having to buy level B new when i couldn't find it used and my dd is soon to be ready for it . i prayed and within a day i see the post about all the level used . i discussed with my husband and we are ready to sacrfice and buy them as investment for their future learning . Now what worry me , is it really a smart move , will i hit a wall at some point and find out rightstart is not working for us and have to look for another curriculum ?? are they many around here who sayed with it till higher levels and were happy . please any advice .

blessings

viv

It's a risk. My question to you would be, do you have the ability to sell them to someone else if it doesn't work out? RS generally has a pretty high resale value.

So far my oldest has finished RS B-E and moved on and my 2nd dd has done B and is doing E now, and again is doing well. I have a dd in D now and my ds is in C. For all of us RS explains things in a way we understand. BUT I think some kids start out hands on then grow out of that need and sometimes in fact need something more visual. You just can't predict what your child will need.

Heather

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Heather, what have you used for your dc beyond RS E and Geometry? My eldest will start E this spring, so I am starting to think ahead . . .

My kids aren't mathey, so I do Hands on Equations and then Lial's Basic College Math. Many kids can skip ahead to pre-algebra, but mine just need more practice to solidify the processes. They actually test higher on the conceptual side (why math works the way it does) then the equations side (doing it). Most kids are the opposite.

Heather