Menu

Dog People: What kind of dog is this?

We took in my step-sons dog, and was told it is a Pit Bull. Then the other day, some one said it was an American Staffordshire Terrier.

So, I looked on the internet, and now I more confused than before.

This is Lou, and he measures 17" to his shoulder. Not sure of his weight.

What breed would you say he is?

I would think if you tried to contact someone through: http://www.amstaff.org/ , the American Staffordshire Terrier club website, that they could help tell you if that is the kind of dog it is.

But where did the dog originally come from? You said you took in your stepson's dog -- where did he get it from?

I do consider myself a dog person, but neither of the breeds you mentioned is one that I have any personal experience with at all. Is the dog a problem? Or are you simply curious what kind it is?

He's a bully breed; doesn't matter what one exactly. They've all got the same undeserved bad rap due to a few irresponsible owners. There's a lot of ignorance out there.

Train him right, with consistent, firm boundaries and he'll be a pleasure of a pet.

Now...he's 18 months old. The question is, has he been trained right? Has your stepson had him since he was a pup? I'd be cautious until I know all his behavior, esp. with the kids.

But I say that because he's an ADULT dog and you might not know his history and habits...not because he's a pittie.

Eta, love the brindle coloring!

Edited by bbkaren

AmStaffs and pit bulls are basically the same breed :) AKC and UKC are what turned them into different breeds. I love pitties! I will never own another breed :)

First you must understand the difference between a breed and a type. Not until the advent of dog shows at the end of the 1800's, did the concept of individual breeds become widely used. Before that, dogs primarily came in types. There were retrievers, pointers, spaniels, greyhounds, huskies, sheepdogs, livestock guardian dogs, hounds, mastiffs and bulldogs as well as several "toy" or "pet" type dogs. Any dog that did the work and looked somewhat like a type of dog was that kind of dog. It is a mistake to believe, though, that our ancestors did not take breeding seriously when breeding dogs for a specific job. With the advent of dog shows, dogs begin to be bred to conform to a strict written standard of how humans thought they should look. No longer bred for work, but strictly for exhibition, many breeds became non-functional at their original work.

Dog fanciers developed "standards of perfection" for breeds, and subdivided types of dogs into more and more separate breeds. The vast majority of pit bull breeders fought to keep their dogs away from the show ring, and succeeded for several decades. Then, like now, breeder of true performance dogs knew that the show ring spelled ruination for their animals. It wasn't until the 1930's that a very small group of individuals made an attempt to bring the pit bull into the show dog world.

Using several dogs (including Colby's Primo) as the "standard of perfection", a physical standard was drawn up for the pit bull. The name "pit bull" was a problem for these show dog folks - they felt it would scare people off. They tried several names, including Yankee Terrier which was a foolish choice for a bulldog from the United Kingdom! They finally settled on "Staffordshire Terrier". To this day, the debate about whether or not the pit bull should be grouped with terriers (small dogs which go into tunnels for vermin) rages.

At the turn of the last century, the American Dog Breeders Association and the United Kennel Club were already registering pit bulls. When the American Kennel Club accepted the pit bull into their stud books in 1936, UKC and ADBA registered pit bulls got their registered names changed to "Staffordshire Terriers. To add to the confusion, the name "Staffordshire Terrier" was changed to "American Staffordshire Terrier" in the 1970's when the AKC decided that the pit bulls still being bred in England had enough variation in type to warrant being called a different "breed".

So, while the dogs all originated from the same group of animals from the United Kingdom, the dog show world turned them into three different "breeds". The American pit bull terrier, the American Staffordshire terrier and the Staffordshire bull terrier.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. It is all a matter of perspective.

Perspective 1) all dogs, AKC, UKC or ADBA all originated from the same group of British dogs, making American Staffs, Staffie bulls and American pit bulls all the same dog.

Perspective 2) when the original British dogs came over, they became American Staffs and American pit bulls, however, the dogs which remained in Britain are somehow significantly different from the American dogs.

Perspective 3) all three of the "breeds" originated from the same group of British dogs, but have been bred along different lines and for different purposed long enough now to be separate breeds.

ETA: This is why I love pits! Ours saved DD1s life when she was 13 months old. http://network.bestfriends.org/initiatives/pitbulls/13713/news.aspx

Edited by Lynn213220

I would think if you tried to contact someone through: http://www.amstaff.org/ , the American Staffordshire Terrier club website, that they could help tell you if that is the kind of dog it is.

But where did the dog originally come from? You said you took in your stepson's dog -- where did he get it from?

I do consider myself a dog person, but neither of the breeds you mentioned is one that I have any personal experience with at all. Is the dog a problem? Or are you simply curious what kind it is?

From what I can gather, my step-son bought the dog from a guy who said it was Pit Bull; no papers though. My step-son is in drug rehab, and we took the dog in, or it would have gone to the pound.

I just want to know what kind it is, because that then depends on how we register him with the county.

Another question I have is: this dog is so nervous and scared of things. I take him out for walk, and if a car drives by, he stops and starts shaking. When we go out shopping or something like that, he is a gibbering wreck when we come back. He won't stop shaking for about 20 mins, hides in the dark hall way, won't eat for the rest of the day. We have found leaving the TV on helps a little. What can I do to help him with this?

He looks just like my dog, even the white on his chest.

It is probably impossible to say what he is. Up until about 1900 or a bit before, they were one breed - in factit is only around that time that breed standards began to be created. Before that, dogs were just called whatever their parents were and what they looked like.

Anyway, some people liked the dogs, but didn't agree with dog fighting, and so they formed a different group than the pit bull people, with a slightly different breed standard - mostly just a bit bigger and heavier. So Pit Bulls and Staff terriers are almost identical and come from the same background. American Staffs are smaller and slightly different looking , an American version of the same breed, again with their own official breed standard.

But in real life, most dogs are not pure, unless someone has been carefully breeding only papered animals. Especially in the last number of years when pit bulls have been popular, there are lots of dogs in that general category that are very mixed. Big dogs also tend to escape and wander the neighbourhood, with mixed puppies resulting. Aside from the types mentioned, there could be Boxer, Mastiff, or even things like Lab in there.

He looks like my dog. He is an American Staffordshire Terrier/Weimerainer mix.

It sounds like he has an anxiety to different situations. You may want to seek the assistance of a professional trainer to help.

One thing you can do is bring him out to a quiet place that has some pedestrian traffic and let him observe the world go by as you sit with him. He should be able to see the people but feel safe that they won't come near him.

Do not comfort him or reprimand him if he is acting nervous. He will take this a sign that he was right to be nervous or upset at the situation. Just continue to speak to him in a normal voice as if nothing is going on.

The anxiety will not be fixed overnight. It will take time and patience.

post-3678-13535085848023_thumb.jpg

Edited by kewb

From what I can gather, my step-son bought the dog from a guy who said it was Pit Bull; no papers though. My step-son is in drug rehab, and we took the dog in, or it would have gone to the pound.

I just want to know what kind it is, because that then depends on how we register him with the county.

Another question I have is: this dog is so nervous and scared of things. I take him out for walk, and if a car drives by, he stops and starts shaking. When we go out shopping or something like that, he is a gibbering wreck when we come back. He won't stop shaking for about 20 mins, hides in the dark hall way, won't eat for the rest of the day. We have found leaving the TV on helps a little. What can I do to help him with this?

If you're going to keep him, I'd call him anything BUT pitbull when registering him. He looks like a black lab mix to me. A lot of communities are banning anything that resembles what they consider to be a pitbull.

Also be prepared for your homeowner's insurance potentially to go up if they find out you have a pittie.

There's a lot of ignorance out there.

That said, he's an adult dog with an unknown history and obvious issues. NO unsupervised time with the kids until he's fully settled, I urge you.

Poor guy. Being in a stable situation will help a lot, with lots of consistency.

I'd check out the library for some books on dogs with issues like this. Also, talk to the vet - sometimes a short course of anti-anxiety drugs can help if it is really serious. Given that he doesn't eat all day after a scare, he might benefit from that kind of help.

IME they are really lovely dogs - very patient and low-key.

This would concern me greatly. Sounds like you may have the makings of a "fear biter." I would be very, very cautious around the dog until you know more about his history.

Poor baby. No real advice, but it sounds like he was possibly abused. With your stepson having substance issues, he may not have treated him the best or gotten him from a good person, kwim?

This is what we have thought. There are no signs of physical abuse, and he is well trained. You can let him out in the yard with out a leash, and he will come when you call, even if he is staring down a cat.

He does not walk well on a leash, but he is getting better.

This is what we have thought. There are no signs of physical abuse, and he is well trained. You can let him out in the yard with out a leash, and he will come when you call, even if he is staring down a cat.

He does not walk well on a leash, but he is getting better.

A lot of them don't. They don't tend to be very sensitive and so they don't really notice or care about a collar pulling. A halter type lead works better but if he is nervous it might frighten him. A harness might help though.

A prong collar will go a long way in leash training him. Any dog I've had trouble with on a leash, responded immediately to a prong collar.

Try it on your arm. It doesn't hurt, and the prongs aren't sharp; it just stimulates when he pulls, and gets his attention. It works wonders.

It also won't crush his windpipe like a choke collar can.

eta: Please keep in mind that abuse doesn't always show physical scars. Emotional abuse of a dog can have tragic repercussions years afterward. Use caution with any adult dog you bring into your home, when you don't know his history. Please.

I don't see an ounce of black lab in him(or weimaraner, as someone else said) He looks like a basic brindle pit bull. It's a common coloring. I will admit that I hate pitt bulls, and you can talk til you're blue in the face--but I think too many have been bred to be aggressive. There's a reason they're a favorite of the more "thuggier" type of people...He may turn out to be a sweetie, but he may very well be a biter from his fears. And yes, I realize all dogs can bite, but the OP has said he already has nervous issues. Who knows, maybe he was sold because his personality didn't fit the tough guy stereotype.

The poster who responded with the black lab comment, was doing so tongue in cheek. She was remarking that the OP register him as anything but a pitt. AST is what he looks like. That's what I would register him as.

I second the comments about not leaving the dog EVER unsupervised for quite some time with small children. Also get a bite stick to have on hand for the time being; if you don't have one a 15-18" piece of heavy duty broom handle can work. AST/pitt bulls have an amazing bite and it can be extremely difficult to get them to break once they've latch on. I'm not telling this to scare you, just so that you will be aware.

He seems to be showing fear issues. DO NOT make him feel backed into a corner while working with him right now. It could not end well. He needs calm exposures to help him. I would call around to find a good trainer in your area. I don't recommend the PetSmart training centers...

Oh and I second a prong collar. It helps dogs respond better to leash training and makes for less pulling.

I love Staffies/Pitties. I own a mixed one and she is the best dog; she is very loyal. They are wonderful companions when treated right and trained properly.

Who knows, maybe he was sold because his personality didn't fit the tough guy stereotype.

This comment reminded me of a book I read recently, "Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love."

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/oogy-larry-levin/1102175297?ean=9780446546317&itm=1&usri=oogie

It's about a family who took in a dog who had been used as bait for training other dogs to fight and then left for dead. They assume, based on his appearance, that he is a pit bull but discover that they are wrong. He turns out to be a wonderful dog.

There is also a book about the dogs that were rescued from Michael Vick's place, some of whom have gone on to become therapy dogs.