Menu

Homeschool planning/tracking on the iPad?

I couldn't find anything by searching ... is anyone using an app to plan and track their homeschooling? I mostly need a calendar to keep track of deadlines, daily to-do list, and some way to note what got done (either by completing an assigned task or adding to to the calendar). Whichever I choose I will also want to use for work as well.

I am looking at these two:

LifeNotes :) To Do $4 (app store)

Todo Task Manager $5 (app store)

I'm very visual, and I like to see at-a-glance how things are organized. Clicking through multiple menus to find things won't work for me. Both of these look like they are well laid out ... which would you choose? Or would you choose a different one altogether?

Did you upgrade to is 5? I really like the new free reminders app for keeping track of lists and to-do's. I have a bunch of lists in there. Library books to get, books to buy, apps to buy, curriculum to check-out, shopping lists, field trips to plan, etc. you can check things off when they are complete. I've been checking in to some of the homework apps to make lists of assignments for dd when she gets her own iPad. I would be interested to hear how others are using the calendar apps for planning. I've been trying to think through how to use the calendar apps for planning and also specifically for figuring out a plan for memory work. I have the Andrew Cambell memory book and it suggests a file system for memory work that I would like to somehow implement on the iPad so dd could just click on a button and get today's memory work. Hopefully I can get some ideas from others and spend some down time during the holidays figuring this out.

Did you upgrade to is 5? I really like the new free reminders app for keeping track of lists and to-do's. I have a bunch of lists in there. Library books to get, books to buy, apps to buy, curriculum to check-out, shopping lists, field trips to plan, etc. you can check things off when they are complete. I've been checking in to some of the homework apps to make lists of assignments for dd when she gets her own iPad. I would be interested to hear how others are using the calendar apps for planning. I've been trying to think through how to use the calendar apps for planning and also specifically for figuring out a plan for memory work. I have the Andrew Cambell memory book and it suggests a file system for memory work that I would like to somehow implement on the iPad so dd could just click on a button and get today's memory work. Hopefully I can get some ideas from others and spend some down time during the holidays figuring this out.

Which app are you talking about?

Scholaric.com is a web-based planner which is $1 per month per student. I love it and it works fairly well on the iPad (and any other internet capable device).

I use and like Scholaric as well. I prefer an online option so that I can get it on any device I'm using at the time (I alternate between laptop, iPad, and Android phone). It has a few quirks, but I've decided that it works well enough for me to ignore them because they're so minor :D The developer is constantly working to upgrade and add requested features as well, so it's a continually improving work in progress.

Scholaric.com is a web-based planner which is $1 per month per student. I love it and it works fairly well on the iPad (and any other internet capable device).

I use and like Scholaric as well. I prefer an online option so that I can get it on any device I'm using at the time (I alternate between laptop, iPad, and Android phone). It has a few quirks, but I've decided that it works well enough for me to ignore them because they're so minor :D The developer is constantly working to upgrade and add requested features as well, so it's a continually improving work in progress.

So how do you use it for planning? I looked at the website but didn't find much about capabilities.

It's a calendar/weekly grid and can provide daily checklists and report cards, etc... There is a free 2-wk trial which is worth checking out. I use it like a digital plan book (I was using paper before.). You can schedule sequences by typing chapter (1-20) in the description and setting repetition for the appropriate days of the wk and number of lessons.

Have you looked at Planbook? It is software for Mac and Windows for traditional school planning (not specifically targeted at homeschooling) and it has a companion program called Planbook Touch for iPad/iPod/iPhone. It appears that the app is freestanding or can sync with a lap/desktop. I haven't tried it though.

Here are some websites for reference:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/planbook-touch/id387115895?mt=8

http://www.hellmansoft.com/ipad/

http://www.hellmansoft.com/index.html (Mac site)

http://www.hellmansoft.com/windows/index.html (Windows Site)