Menu

Alternatives or creative ways to exchange gifts

This seems to be a common problem, so let's brainstorm. Assume that you want to alter the usual gift exchange, but not stop it. Assume that it's fairly difficult to buy for each other, either b/c you don't see them often or don't know them well. My ideas so far, please add to the list:

*Charitable donations

*Book exchange: each person gives the other a book that they have read and enjoyed the prior year (keeps it small and simple, and lets you learn more about the other person; could also work with movies or music)

*Family gifts rather than kids and adults

Um, what else??

My side of the family drew names and is exchanging ornaments. The idea is to get something personal to the recipient, not just a generic one. We got my nephew a Hallmark guitar ornament that plays a Christmas song, because he is taking guitar lessons.

The idea came because I buy each of us 1 ornament each year that's personalized to current interests. It's an inexpensive way to keep ornaments supplied and I love that our tree tells a story. I'll let the kids each take their ornaments when they have their own tree.

Anyway, we thought it was an inexpensive way to cater to the individual interest, without having to worry if the person who likes Legos has THAT set. You can be successful with only general knowledge of their interests.

My side of the family drew names and is exchanging ornaments. The idea is to get something personal to the recipient, not just a generic one. We got my nephew a Hallmark guitar ornament that plays a Christmas song, because he is taking guitar lessons.

The idea came because I buy each of us 1 ornament each year that's personalized to current interests. It's an inexpensive way to keep ornaments supplied and I love that our tree tells a story. I'll let the kids each take their ornaments when they have their own tree.

Anyway, we thought it was an inexpensive way to cater to the individual interest, without having to worry if the person who likes Legos has THAT set. You can be successful with only general knowledge of their interests.

I like that idea! And a running list of who gave what (and why) would make a nice keepsake for future years, too.