Menu

Visiting dog breeder... what to ask/look for?

We are thinking about getting a puppy this spring/summer. We are going to visit a breeder tomorrow. She wants to meet us (I'm sure she wants to see if we're a fit for her dogs) and we want to get a feel for her. From everything I've encountered so far (pictures online of her dogs/farm, her blog, talking on the phone), she seems great... experienced, devoted to her dogs, careful to match dogs and owners well, etc. I'd love some input on what to look for, questions to ask, etc. This will be our family's first dog. I grew up with a dog but we got her at a pound, so we're total newbies.

Thanks!

I'd want to look at the parents/potential parents of the puppy I was going to get, and I'd ask about longevity of her dogs (make sure there's not cancer that is taking them out at a young age).

If she's a good breeder, she'll have all the hip/eye stuff done on the parents and have the paperwork available to you. I have found that a good breeder is usually proud of his/her dogs, and is willing to show all the paperwork and planning and expense they have put into it.

I hope you have a good experience and end up with a great puppy!

The Dog Whisperer has a book on puppies. He does a really great job of going through the things that a reputable breeder does.

My mother is a breeder. She sells wonderful, beautiful dogs. BUT I've witnessed her tell potential customers what they want to hear. Make sure you look with your own eyes and not just your heart.

The Dog Whisperer has a book on puppies. He does a really great job of going through the things that a reputable breeder does.

My mother is a breeder. She sells wonderful, beautiful dogs. BUT I've witnessed her tell potential customers what they want to hear. Make sure you look with your own eyes and not just your heart.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll add it to my Amazon cart today.

Can you share what topics particularly you are talking about (where a breeder like your mom might say what a customer wants to hear)? Temperament? Other things?

Bloodline of desire puppy should have full medical history of parents etc. for enough generations to show if there is any heredity tendency to bad hips, etc. ( in bigger dogs). I think the breeder wanting to meet YOU first is a great sign of a reputable person!

Are they AKC registered?

Our Labrador came from a breeder and we have the full papers on his bloodlines, got him AKC registered. Several celebs/sports folks have used this breeder, too.

She will exaggerate the amount of time that she spends with the puppies, temperament (if they want bouncy then they're all bouncy, if they want a one that snuggles then they're all calm . . .), health to an extent (they're all pretty healthy but when she says it you'd think they'd never had a flea.) Things like that. My mother has a large personality and people will leave thinking that she is their best friend. She has LOTS of recommendations from past customers. The dogs really are good dogs but I also think a lot of people choose her because of her personality. VERY few people visit and choose not to purchase one of her puppies -- in fact, I don't know of any. That's why I said to make sure you look with your eyes and not your heart.

I've been a breeder-but it's been years. Those questions will go both ways. ;)

Look for clean. Yes, dog kennels and runs are often smelly places, but you can tell if the dirt goes weeks back or if things are kept tidy on a regular basis. Ya know?

Healthy animals are a good weight, have shiney coats, bright eyes, and happy attitudes.

I love puppies that are raised with cats, horses, little kids...I know not every breeder can provide that, but I like it when I find it.