Menu

Cat Penicillin dosage - anyone know

We have a barn cat with what appears to be a bladder infection (all signs are there). Since money is extremely tight, I plan to treat it with penicillin myself to see if it goes away with basic antibiotics. (We often do our own equine basic vet work and have for years.)

A quick google search came up with Wikianswers telling me to do 1/2 ml once per day for 3 days subcutaneously. BUT, another responder said that was incorrect and to give the shot inter-muscularly I think he suggested twice the dosage too.

Any vets or vet techs on here? I'd prefer info from someone in the field. I can give either shot. I just want it to be the "right" one! I need to leave now or I'd search more myself. I just know the hive tends to know everything, so thought I'd post this and see.

I don't know that I've ever used penicillin on a cat actually....other antibiotics in the same family, but not penicillin. Sorry I'm not more help. I'm now wondering if there is a good reason we didn't use penicillin. We did use amoxicillin, and that was given subQ.

I don't know that I've ever used penicillin on a cat actually....other antibiotics in the same family, but not penicillin. Sorry I'm not more help. I'm now wondering if there is a good reason we didn't use penicillin. We did use amoxicillin, and that was given subQ.

Penicillin is one I can get without prescription - that's why I've chosen it. Otherwise, we'd need a vet visit and with work down for hubby in general and holidays on top of it, that's one visit we just can't afford right now (hundred + vs ten). I want to try the cheap method to see if we can help the poor kitty feel better.

Do they still make Combiotic? When I had 4H animals, we gave that to pretty much every kind of critter I had. It is (or was) widely available.

I'm certain I've given it to rabbits. Almost certain we used it on a cat once or twice. It's (as the name suggests) a combination of antibiotics.

You can give either penicillin or combiotic subcutaneously.

Do they still make Combiotic? When I had 4H animals, we gave that to pretty much every kind of critter I had. It is (or was) widely available.

I'm certain I've given it to rabbits. Almost certain we used it on a cat once or twice. It's (as the name suggests) a combination of antibiotics.

You can give either penicillin or combiotic subcutaneously.

I didn't see any antibiotics for small animals at our feed store (just returned). I bought short action/duration penicillin, but it only gives large animal dosages. Any idea how much to give a cat? I'll be googling to try to find out in about an hour.

According to this site:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/procaine-penicillin-g-can.html

It looks like 1/4ml given intramuscularly for 3 or 4 days (once per day).

We'll try it and see.

Our small animal vet requires a visit for anything but wormers. Our large animal vet doesn't want to treat cats (except for Rabies shots).

If this doesn't work, I'll check with some pet shops next week and see if there's another inexpensive option we can try or if anyone comes across this thread in the near future, feel free to add thoughts. I'll be reading.

First shot for kitty is coming up as soon as I can find him.